How to set an egpu on imac 5k 2017?
I just recently added a RTX 2080 ti to my iMac.
I was not able to get internal display to work at all.
If I disabled the dGPU, a Windows logo gets stuck on it.
If I enabled it, and install the driver for RP580, I get black screen.
I was told that if I hot plug the TB3 cable while the Windows is booting, I will have better luck.
I didn’t bother with that, since cables are not in easy reach for me to do that every boot.
It's true with the hot-plugging, but you probably have set the gpuswitch to 0 under macosx , if not... yeah, it's difficult. The only thing that surely works, is an AMD card with MacOSX. The rest is not guaranteed and not supported by anyone. Let's see.
- nVidia cards under macosx? Mostly don't work, won't work under mojave, RTX cards don't work under anything from Apple. nVidia web drivers are sub-optimal at best.
- nVidia cards under bootcamp? External monitor is ok, but internal monitor? Very complicated.
-AMD cards under bootcamp? Forget about your internal monitor accelerating anything. Forever.
-AMD cards under macosx? Fine.
I did not understand ... but did the 2080 work for you or not?
I hope to get at least this result: egpu connected no screen imac but external screen ok.
Egpu disconnected, imac works normally.
If it worked what did you do?
1) You have big enough eGPU to house it.
2) ... and big enough to cool it.
3) ... and have big enough PSU. (I didn’t mess around. I simply fed mine 850W).
4) ... and have external monitor(s).
5) ... and you can live with none-functional internal display (or willing to try the hot plugging).
6) ... and have some time to kill while you run multiple sessions of DDU/install.
7) ... and willing to give up on OS X side of eGPU experience (unless of course you have 2nd AMD eGPU).
Check out this post if you are interested in what I did.
today I got the 2070 and ... it works great !!!
It was very easy to set the card in bootcamp.
I started windows (I use the version 1803 with all the updates made), I turned on the core x, after windows recognized the card, I installed the official nvidia drivers and everything works without problems.
If I use egpu I can not use the integrated monitor.
If I turn off and on again the mac with the egpu turned off everything works normally.
I did not have to delete the radeon drivers.
I'm really very happy.
Have you done load testing yet?
I would be curious to see the temperature at max load.
I will update with my result.
MSI Afterburner works well to record the temperature change during the test.
I tried horizon 4 force and 2160p high details with active vsync I do 53fps and maximum temperature 65º.
And just to make a comparison, pes 2019 has 60fps fixed at 2160p high details.
I measured the temperature with the evga precision x1 software specific for the evga rtx.
As for the radeon drivers I use those of bootcampdrivers. net version 18.8.2.
The radeon apple drivers cause me blocks on startup even without egpu.
It happens since windows arrived at version 1803.
Here is my Heaven result.
Temp went to 63 degree, so your Core X is doing good job cooling it seems.
if I use my egpu on a partition of my fusion drive, everything works.
I tried to install windows 10 1803 on ssd usb 3.0 and everything seems to work, but if I install the updates of March 2019 the egpu doesn't work. Keyboard and mouse are disconnected and the Mac freezes. Tips?
I solved! Before starting the egpu I have to first disconnect (and if I want to also reconnect) another usb hdd that I usually leave always connected.