HP Elitebook 830 G6 with Razer Core X Chroma & AMD W5700

Notifications
Clear all

HP Elitebook 830 G6 with Razer Core X Chroma & AMD W5700  

RSS

Chi-hong Sit
(@chi-hong_sit)

Hi, all.  I have an work laptop HP Elitebook 830 G6 i7 (8565U) 32GB RAM and this is currently connected to a Razer Core X Chroma with a AMD Radeon Pro WX5100.  This is working beautifully, allowing me to display a 5K2K monitor alongside a 4k portable monitor.  It’s rock solid, allowing me to plug in and out when i like, cold boot with thunderbolt connected or connect when logged in.

I decided to upgrade the card to a AMD Radeon Pro W5700, purely for the USB C aspects of the card, allowing me to drive the 4k portable monitor as well as providing the touch functionality.  The W5700 uses the same drivers as the current card (WX5100), so i thought this would be a straight swap, reboot and away i go.  However, I cannot get rid of the dreaded Error 12.  I’ve tried everything that I’m allowed to do on my laptop.  It already shows the Large Memory entry so I assume it wasn’t an issue with that, although i am no expert when it comes to that level of detail.

I can’t get into the BIOS, its password protected and I won’t be given it, so i can’t view or amend anything in there.  The BIOS is two versions behind the latest - Aug 2020 release date, so it’s relatively up to date.  I’m running Windows 10 1909 build 18363.1411.

Other things I’ve tried is DDU, re-installed Windows 10, Uninstalling devices from Device Manager in a hope to rebuild and re-allocate resources?  However, as stated it already has a large memory entry without doing anything soI assume that’s not the issue.

However, the W5700 and Core Chroma works on a personal PC (Intel NUC 8th Gen) and also works on my 2018 13” MAC Book pro.  So i know is not an issue hardware issue with Chroma or GPU.

None of my laptops and PCs have dGPU only integrated graphics.

Is there anything else I can try and look into.  The one thing I have noticed, is that the large memory is allocated to PCI Bus with my current WX5100 card, but if I install the drivers again for the W5700 the large memory allocation shows as PCI Express Root complex (or something like that).

No idea how or if that is relevant.

Please, can someone give me anymore ideas, i really would like this working.  I’ve got this weekend to try, beyond that I have agreed with the seller to send the card back for a refund minus 15% re-stocking fee, no ideal but better than having a large and expensive paper weight.

If you think this is a lost cause then I’ll save my weekend time and call it quits.  However, considering it was easily working on OS X and my Intel NUC, and the old card working perfectly, then I thought i may have a chance.  

Thanks.

This topic was modified 2 months ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@chi-hong_sit, I would recommend running DDU again. This time, make sure to open the Options section and uncheck Windows auto-detect and install of new devices. Worst case scenario, you can try Windows 10 1903 V1 [18632.30].

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 6700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (CM MasterCase EG200) + Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Chi-hong Sit
(@chi-hong_sit)

@itsage, thanks, just tried, unfortunately the same thing, error 12.  Unfortunately I cannot downgrade windows as its a work laptop.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote