HP Elitebook + Razer Core X + Gigabyte RTX 2080 Ti -> Freezing during boot

Notifications
Clear all

HP Elitebook + Razer Core X + Gigabyte RTX 2080 Ti -> Freezing during boot  

RSS

Adam Laita
(@adam_laita)

Hi Everyone,

I'm experiencing strange behavior. Before RTX 2080 I had Asus GTX 1070 OC and everything works fine. After I've changed graphic card to RTX 2080 I can't start laptop without freezing during boot.

My setup:

• HP EliteBook x360 830 G6 (6XD37EA - latest bios)
  • Windows 10 Pro (1909 - latest updates)
  • Razer Core X (RC21-01310100-R351)
  • Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 Ti GAMING OC 11G (GV-N208TGAMING-OC-11GC)

As I wrote I had same setup just with another graphic card specifically ASUS ROG STRIX GAMING GeForce GTX 1070 OC DirectCU III 8GB and there were no problems with this card.

Now I have the RTX 2080 and playing games or anything else is OK, but if I shutdown the laptop and then turn it on (with Core X powered on and linked TB3 cable) screen with HP logo and HP Secure Boot just freeze or sometimes I've got just a black screen and fan in my laptot rises RPM.

I've tried:

1. Complete reinstall of graphics drivers via DDU.
  2. Disable Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O (VTd) (this disables also DMA protection) - screen
  3. Disable UCSI (same screen checkbox under the Fast charge)
  4. Disable Secure Boot - screen
  5. Disable USB Storage Boot and Fast Boot - screen
  6. Change Thunderbolt Security Level (No security is default, so I've tried User Authorization) - screen

But nothing helped... one combination disabled Fast Boot and selected User Authorization on TB security level caused that freezing was random but it just didn't resolve my problem.

So now I must start my laptot with Core X off and when I've got to Windows I just turn it on. It is not a big problem but it would be better to solve it and not have to think about it every time the system starts.

Thanks for any feedback

Adam

This topic was modified 3 months ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@adam_laita, RTX cards have firmware compatibility issues with certain systems. They cause boot hang like you're experiencing. I have encountered the same issue on different Macs and PCs. I'm not aware of a workaround except to hot-plug.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2018 Mac Mini [8th,4C,B] + RX Vega 56 Nano @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Gigabyte Gaming Box) + macOS 11.0 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Adam Laita
(@adam_laita)

@itsage, yeah that's what I was afraid of... anyway thanks for info

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
ron5553792
(@ron5553792)

@adam_laita

Have you tried going back to the 1070 and re-installing that just to see that it still works?  The other option I would look at is to try another RTX card if one is available just to narrow it down.

Your pairing the G6 with an RTX 2080 intrigues me though - how much improvement do you see going from the 1070?

I have paired my Elitebook 830 G5 (i5-8250U) with a Titan Xp (via ROG St 2), but I think this is not a good combination with uneven performance limits. I am basing this on gpubenchmarks which indicate the performance of the TitanXP is far below average. Either the CPU is the bottleneck, or the TB3 connection is the bottleneck.

I also paired my Elitebook 830 G6 (which comes with i7-8650U) with the same Titan Xp and got very similar results. This would indicate to me that the (initial) bottleneck is the TB3 operating at 2Gt/s rather than 4Gt/s, though it is possible that the 8th gen i7 is not that much better than an 8th gen i5 to make a difference on these tests.

This would also indicate to me that there is some kind of upper limit on GPUs if we want to keep this 830 Elitebook laptops, ie. anything higher than e.g. RTX 2060 is pointless because it will perform similarly to the RTX 2060 anyway. Not sure what that limit is, but it has me thinking for sure about how far to downgrade the GPU... 

I suspect the family of 830 elitebooks will max out GPU performance on RTX 2060 or GTX 1070 ti because of the 2Gt/s limit on TB3. I probably need to pick up a Razer or Omen with the same CPU family to validate it though.

HP Elitebook 830 G5 (i5-8250U) + 2x16GB 2400 CL16 DDR4 Crucial Ballistix
HP Elitebook 830 G6 (i7-8565U) + 2x16GB 2400 CL14 DDR4 HyperX Impact
Lenovo T480s (i7-8550U) + 2x8GB DDR4 Samsung (stock)
NVidia Titan Xp (Star Wars Collectors Edition)
Asus Rog Station 2

ReplyQuote
ron5553792
(@ron5553792)

@adam_laita, Oh wait I just realised you have the x360 version, which I think means you have 2 Thunderbolt 3 ports and have 4 Gt/s, unlike the regular G5 or G6 I have which has only 1 and 2 Gt/s. Hmm... but still interested because your 2080 should perform in the ballpark of the Titan Xp...

So if your 2080 is a rockstar on your config, while my Titan Xp is very underwhelming, then I think that confirms it.

HP Elitebook 830 G5 (i5-8250U) + 2x16GB 2400 CL16 DDR4 Crucial Ballistix
HP Elitebook 830 G6 (i7-8565U) + 2x16GB 2400 CL14 DDR4 HyperX Impact
Lenovo T480s (i7-8550U) + 2x8GB DDR4 Samsung (stock)
NVidia Titan Xp (Star Wars Collectors Edition)
Asus Rog Station 2

ReplyQuote