HP Omen 2020 with HP Omen Accelerator - is charging via Thunderbolt out of the q...

Notifications
Clear all

HP Omen 2020 with HP Omen Accelerator - is charging via Thunderbolt out of the question?  

RSS

GeoPDX
(@geopdx)

Hey all,

Just got the new HP Omen 15 2020 yesterday. Nice laptop. I want to pair it with my HP Omen Accelerator (I'll do a build soon, but long story short don't try to install any of HP's stuff from their website as it'll just give you headaches, just plug it in and it'll all work).

Anyway, I was really hoping that I could also charge over the Thunderbolt cable. I believe the Accelerator can do that, but it just won't deliver power to my laptop. Is it possible, the laptop just requires too much energy than can be delivered over Thunderbolt? Or can I upgrade the Accelerators power supply unit and get more oomph that way?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@geopdx, If the laptop's USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 port doesn't have charging capability, it's not going the charge through the OMEN Accelerator.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX 5600 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (VisionTek mini eGFX) + macOS 11 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
GeoPDX
(@geopdx)

Hm how might I figure that out? This is about all I can find out regarding the specs of the port itself:

1 Thunderbolt™ 3 (40Gbps signaling rate) with SuperSpeed USB Type-C® 10 Gbps signaling rate (DisplayPort™ 1.4, HP Sleep and Charge)

It's a brand new model unfortunately so there's not a whole lot of information out there just yet. I'm sort of figuring this out as I go.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
GeoPDX
(@geopdx)

Nevermind. I just crawled through the user manual and couldn't find any mention of charging over USB-C or Thunderbolt 3 so I'm going to assume this laptop does not have that function.

ReplyQuote