HP Spectre 13 x360 late 2019 compatibility with HP Omen Accelerator

Notifications
Clear all

HP Spectre 13 x360 late 2019 compatibility with HP Omen Accelerator  

RSS

Klemen Pevec
(@klemen_pevec)

I have been using the HP Spectre x360 13 2018 model with HP Omen Accelerator eGPU without any issues. Now I have bought HP Spectre x360 13 late 2019 model and I am struggling to connect the new 2019 model to the HP Omen Accelerator.

When I plug it in the HP Omen Accelerator, the accelerator turns on for a few seconds and then turns off and this cycle is repeating. Sometimes the accelerator seems to connect and the laptop starts charging, but after a few seconds, the laptop freezes and needs to be forcefully restarted.

I am wondering if there are any special drivers or updates that I need to get HP Omen Accelerator working with the late 2019 spectre model or is the accelerator not compatible with that laptop?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

Have you checked whether this laptop has Thunderbolt Control Center installed? Is there any settings for Thunderbolt in the BIOS?

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX 5600 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (VisionTek mini eGFX) + macOS 11 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Klemen Pevec
(@klemen_pevec)

There are no settings for Thunderbolt in BIOS but this laptop definitely has thunderbolt 3. There was thunderbolt software installed on it when I got it, and there is thunderbolt in the device manager. I have already tried updating BIOS, drivers but nothing helped. The exact model I have is HP Spectre x360 13-aw0003nn ( https://support.hp.com/si-en/document/c06528967 ) and there is Thunderbolt 3 listed, it has two TB3 connectors.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
heimerwall
(@heimerwall)

How did this go for you? I have been struggling myself but with the Gen8 v2 Spectre x360 (ap0006tu) since mid last year. Have had an open case with HP and today they got back to me basically saying they're not going to work more on the case. It was working fine until then and now they just brush it off as not being compatible. 

I just ordered the late 2019 model like you, in hope of getting it to work but now you are making me worried! Roll
I have a feeling it's just firmware incompatibility. These TB3 host fw's are just too new and they haven't done anything at all on the accelerator since 2017. Their forward compatibility is null so all potential Accelerator buyers be ware!!

ReplyQuote