Setup & Software Discussions
HP Spectre x360 - 15-ap012dx and Aorus Gaming Box 1070

HP Spectre x360 - 15-ap012dx and Aorus Gaming Box 1070  

RSS

Saxxon
(@saxxon)

I'm having trouble getting my laptop to recognize the Aorus when I connect it. I've tried updating my the BIOS, Thunderbolt 3 drivers, and I'm drawing blanks at this point. Does anyone have any ideas or similar issues?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Saxxon
(@saxxon)

Update: When connecting the AORUS gaming box, I receive a popup saying thunderbolt device functionality might be limited. When attempting to update TB software, I get a popup saying a newer version is installed, and when trying to update I'm told there's no TB software installed at all.

I'm getting thrown for a loop here.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
4chip4
(@4chip4)
Estimable Member

Silly question... Are you sure your laptop has TB3? The SKU you listed looks like a 1st gen x360 (2016, 6th gen Intel CPUs), and if I recall correctly, those did not have TB3, only USB (even if it's a USB-C connector).

The easy way to verify this is if your laptop has mini-displayport - the TB3 models are either combined with only HDMI or have only USB-C ports.

2017 HP Spectre x360 15 i7-8550U GTX150 + GTX970@16Gbps-TB3 (HP Omen Accelerator) + Oculus Rift + Win10 (no guide)
HP Omen Accelerator Thunderbolt 3 enclosure legs stand removal walkthrough
Employed by HP, but my posts and opinions expressed on this forum are my own.

ReplyQuote
ha1o2surfer
(@se12897)
Trusted Member

Posted by: 4chip4

Silly question... Are you sure your laptop has TB3? The SKU you listed looks like a 1st gen x360 (2016, 6th gen Intel CPUs), and if I recall correctly, those did not have TB3, only USB (even if it's a USB-C connector).

The easy way to verify this is if your laptop has mini-displayport - the TB3 models are either combined with only HDMI or have only USB-C ports.

You're right, that laptop does not have a TB3 enabled port.

ReplyQuote