Notifications
Clear all

HP Spectre x360 15 CH with HP Omen Accelerator  

of  2
  RSS

Joe Booth
(@joe_booth)

Success! Well sort of...

If I connect it through another TB3 dock and daisy chain it, the laptop picks it up. It has to run through the dock first, plugging it into the second port still produces no results...

I read somewhere on HPs forums if the device is kicking out less than 87 watts to the machine, then it might ignore the device, however I think that's daft that it wouldn't let the device work just not charge it?

Anyway does anybody know of a cheap TB3 charger that lets me daisychain? I cannot keep both items, one has to go back. The Cal-Dock cost me more than the Omen and does a lot less, however it works as a dock which is my primary need.

Joe

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Joe Booth
(@joe_booth)

And now after a reboot, it appears to work on its own... Not sure how that happened, but you don't see me complaining!

I'll see if it works after the weekend! Fingers crossed!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

4chip4 liked
ReplyQuote
Joe Booth
(@joe_booth)

Well that was too good to be true wasn't it. Just as I sort out a return with Amazon for the Cal-Dock, the connection to the Omen went a bit sketchy (mouse lagging, network performance drop). After a restart I'm almost back to square one. The machine now throws up an error saying connect a genuine charger for full performance but doesn't let it charge at all. This behaviour is what was described on the HP forum I mentioned earlier, so I'm presuming this error message was hidden the first couple of times I was trying the Omen. 

The question is, why did it start working all of a sudden after being Daisy Chained through the Cal-Dock? The Omen only puts out 60W apparently, and the minimum is 87W according to some guys on the HP Forum before the software stops it. Is HP blocking devices that put out less power than say 85W? Wouldn't this violate Thunderbolt 3 certifications?

ReplyQuote
4chip4
(@4chip4)
Estimable Member

The message is purely informational - it simply states the obvious (your original PSU is a beefy 150W, the models with U CPUs have a 90W one, 60W is less than either), but that should not affect the availability of charging itself, just that there is no fast-charge guarantee (for HP that's 50% in 30 mins, 90% in 90 mins). I was getting the same message with my 8550U Spectre which didn't prevent it from charging, so it's not that simple, though the G Spectres do have a slightly different power pattern (they don't go over USB-C normally as that maxes out at 100W).

The TB3 spec is unrelated in this context, power delivery is a negotiated feature, the charger and the device need to agree if the voltage and amperage are right, you can't force a device to accept wrong/insufficient power.

2017 HP Spectre x360 15 i7-8550U GTX150 + GTX970@16Gbps-TB3 (HP Omen Accelerator) + Oculus Rift + Win10 [no guide] HP Omen Accelerator Thunderbolt 3 enclosure legs stand removal walkthrough
Employed by HP, but my posts and opinions expressed on this forum are my own.

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Joe Booth
(@joe_booth)

Posted by: 4chip4

The message is purely informational - it simply states the obvious (your original PSU is a beefy 150W, the models with U CPUs have a 90W one, 60W is less than either), but that should not affect the availability of charging itself, just that there is no fast-charge guarantee (for HP that's 50% in 30 mins, 90% in 90 mins). I was getting the same message with my 8550U Spectre which didn't prevent it from charging, so it's not that simple, though the G Spectres do have a slightly different power pattern (they don't go over USB-C normally as that maxes out at 100W).

The TB3 spec is unrelated in this context, power delivery is a negotiated feature, the charger and the device need to agree if the voltage and amperage are right, you can't force a device to accept wrong/insufficient power.

I’ve uninstalled everything from HP on the machine now, and removed application that wasn’t listed which the charging error message was coming from. Restarted and it’s working again. 

Not it sure if it’s connected or not. 

Obviously if if the machine is under full load, the 60w isn’t going to be sufficient although the VEGA chip isn’t being used so it won’t be pulling a full 150w. You’d expect it to provide power.

ReplyQuote
Joe Booth
(@joe_booth)

So further update - it was working fine, almost a month without issue.

I left my machine in the office last night, first time I have done so, came back in to a flat laptop. I plugged the main adaptor in, and off we went, not a problem, external screen and devices working fine. I went to put the charger away as the battery was full, and now nothing. The laptop recognises the dock is plugged in, but gives me an error regarding an incompatible displayport adapter. 

It's a shame this is so unstable, when it works it's brilliant - I just don't understand why it drops off and completely stops working. I have sent the Cal-Dock back now, so have no device to daisy chain it into working like I did last time.

ReplyQuote
ha1o2surfer
(@se12897)
Trusted Member

Have you tried a different thunderbolt cable? Be sure to buy a high quality one and not a cheapo.

2018 13" HP Spectre X360 [8th,4C,U] + GTX 1070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 550) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
 of  2