Setup & Software Discussions
I can boot / restart with my Gigabyte 1070 Gaming Box connected to my MacBook Pr...

I can boot / restart with my Gigabyte 1070 Gaming Box connected to my MacBook Pro 2017 15"  

RSS

(@shitiz_garg)

Okay so...this is strange (good strange but still). All of this is on my internal display, I do not have an external monitor attached. I got my Gaming Box today so I am not sure how reliable it'll be in the future but I thought it's worth sharing. I did a clean install of macOS and Windows, and ever since then I can basically boot to Windows with my eGPU attached. I have:

• Detached my eGPU, removed it's power then hot-plugged it a few minutes later, and it picks up fine.
  • Shut down my laptop and then start it while eGPU is attached and that worked fine too
  • Removed my eGPU, shut it down, connected my eGPU while my laptop is off, then started it and it booted into Windows just fine.
  • Rebooted into macOS and back into Windows and that worked too.
  • It does freak out if I let the laptop sleep with my eGPU attacked. I basically can't wake up my laptop without force shutting it down. 

I couldn't do any of this before the clean install, where it would just stay stuck at a black screen or sometimes would keep bootlooping. I did a fresh install of macOS Mojave from recovery (erased the internal SSD completely and did a fresh installation), then installed Windows 1809. When I first attached my eGPU on a fresh installation of Windows, it would instantly restart. I let Windows Update run which caused it to stabilise. Windows automatically installed some really stupid old drivers (from November 2017) which didn't work, so I updated them manually to the latest ones and I left AMD drivers alone. From what I can tell, the eGPU itself works fine. I am getting a solid performance increase in Lumion which is my #1 concern. I'll continue experimenting with it and post it in Build Guides once I am more confident.

PS: There's still one quirk: when I first hot-plug my eGPU to my laptop it straight up restarts. After which I can hot plug any number of times and it wouldn't cause any problem.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

-Sleep in MacOSX works for me on every card.
-In bootcamp Sleep works fine  for AMD cards on my 13" MBP 2015. It finely switches off the eGPU, too.
-My 15" MBP 2018 doesn't have a sleep function in Windows and I don't know why.
-Bootcamp hibernation doesn't work at all with eGPUs, I never heard anyone who got it running.

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

ReplyQuote
chinsteig
(@chinsteig)
Trusted Member

About a year now I've been running my eGPU from a 2017 MBP in win10 with no issues in either of those scenarios as well. No updates from windows or Nvidia have broken anything. Once in a while I don't get any picture on the external monitor, but a quick hot unplug-replug re-establishes the connection. I only recently started running it in macOS and I have no problems either.

Mid 2017 15" MacBook Pro > ASUS XG Station Pro > RX 5700 XT > 34" 2560x1080 Ultrawide

ReplyQuote
(@wayne_n)

I've also got a 2017 15'' MacBook Pro and I've been using it in a similar way for the last year and a bit with a gtx 1070 in an Omen Accelerator EGPU. I was just wondering whether if @Shitiz_Garg /@Chinsteig could confirm whether your set-up is currently still working on OS Catalina?

This post was modified 3 weeks ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
chinsteig
(@chinsteig)
Trusted Member

@wayne_n
Since my post a few months ago I've upgraded to a new enclosure and amd card for about a month now. Before I switched I had no problems booting straight into windows 10 Version 1803 build 17134.1069 with the asus XG station pro and gtx 1070 plugged in and on. For macOS I would need to turn the enclosure off until booted into high sierra and then turn it on for it to be recognized and the forced log off. There were no Catalina drivers for nvidia cards so I never tried it that way.

With the Asus XG Station pro and AMD 5700 XT I leave the enclosure plugged in and on all the time and can directly boot into either OS no problem. I also upgraded to Catalina for it.

Mid 2017 15" MacBook Pro > ASUS XG Station Pro > RX 5700 XT > 34" 2560x1080 Ultrawide

ReplyQuote
(@wayne_n)

@chinsteig

Glad to hear that, and many thanks for the reply!

ReplyQuote