Setup & Software Discussions
Is Error 12 guaranteed for 2016 MacBook Pro's?

Is Error 12 guaranteed for 2016 MacBook Pro's?  

RSS

Anchoricex
(@anchoricex)
Trusted Member

I'm a little bummed/discouraged now that I'm looking into possibly doing a Bootcamp/Win 10 partition (I didn't originally plan to do so when ordering my parts) to find the workability of 2016 Macbook Pro's seems to be hindered in Win 10 because of the Error 12 stuff. The registry or clover overrides seem to be rather intimidating. I originally didn't plan for a Win 10 partition because gaming isn't something I see myself doing much of, but after reviewing some other builds I'm pretty interested. 

My setup will be a 2016 15" fully maxed out Macbook Pro, an Akitio Node and a GTX Titan X (should be here Tuesday). 

Is the Error 12 a given on a setup like this? Implying I'll probably have to face DSDT overrides and the current solutions to allow the eGPU to boot? 

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
AVT
 AVT
(@avt)

No - at least not on my 13" MBP with your exact setup. See last post here:  https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/setup-for-macbook-pro-fn-keys-nvidia-titan-xp-akitio-node-windows-10/

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Anchoricex
(@anchoricex)
Trusted Member

Posted by: AVT

No - at least not on my 13" MBP with your exact setup. See last post here:  https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/setup-for-macbook-pro-fn-keys-nvidia-titan-xp-akitio-node-windows-10/

Interesting that yours worked after getting back form warranty. What'd it go in for warranty for? Was the original Macbook returned to you or did you get a replacement? Curious that after redoing your Win 10 bootcamp partition things worked smoothly, was there a variation in the version of Windows you installed? Could you have installed a more recent build or did you do a Windows update that alleviates the issue?

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

Posted by: Anchoricex

The registry or clover overrides seem to be rather intimidating.

Implying I’ll probably have to face DSDT overrides and the current solutions to allow the eGPU to boot? 

Loading the 2016 15″ MBP DSDT override is easy when it’s already been pre-compiled for you. See
https://egpu.io/public-repository-egpu-dsdt-overrides/

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) (6th,4C,H) + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + macOS 10.13.6 & Win10

ReplyQuote
Anchoricex
(@anchoricex)
Trusted Member

Is there a typo in the zip file naming of RX450? I'm assuming it's either supposed to be the RX455 or the RX460.   I'm assuming that precompiled set up was derived from a system like mine with 16gigs of ram ?

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

Is there a typo in the zip file naming of RX450? I’m assuming it’s either supposed to be the RX455 or the RX460.   I’m assuming that precompiled set up was derived from a system like mine with 16gigs of ram ?

The 15″ MBP file was derived from a RP450 system.  How to load the fie and and precautions on using other system’s DSDT files is explained on that page https://egpu.io/public-repository-egpu-dsdt-overrides/

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) (6th,4C,H) + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + macOS 10.13.6 & Win10

ReplyQuote
Anchoricex
(@anchoricex)
Trusted Member

Ah okay RP450 oops.

Anyways, just to be clear: I'm welcome to use the precompiled files in that zip to do the override by taking them and starting @ step 2 in the guide. Although, sometimes bios/ram and I'm assuming dGPU differences I should use a tool called Winmerge to pull the necessary files from my system and merge them with the modified files in the zip ? Or should that zip file fit my system to a T? Whether or not I should use Winmerge seems slightly ambiguous in your informational article.

I won't know until I give it a shot this week when my card shows up, but I'm assuming it's safe to say that I will more then likely encounter the Error 12. I'm curious why user AVT above no longer experiences this problem and doesn't need to do a DSTD  override, is it possible that the stuff he had done before survived his reinstall of Windows? 

The 9to5Mac video/article posted on using a Thunder3 alongside a 2016 13" Macbook on Win10 Bootcamp doesn't encounter an Error 12.

In an attempt to demystify and better understand this issue I would like to know if this is an error that is tied to the particular graphics card, the enclosure, the OS or the particular Macbook hardware. I can't seem to determine if everyone experiences this, as it seems like there are situations where people are able to plug and play things no problem, but other people are 3-4 attempts deep in different solutions to no avail. I understand there's a lot of factors that can vary across diffent eGPU setups.

ReplyQuote
AVT
 AVT
(@avt)

Posted by: AVT

Interesting that yours worked after getting back form warranty. What'd it go in for warranty for? Was the original Macbook returned to you or did you get a replacement? Curious that after redoing your Win 10 bootcamp partition things worked smoothly, was there a variation in the version of Windows you installed? Could you have installed a more recent build or did you do a Windows update that alleviates the issue?

There was a problem with the built-in display which was repaired by Apple. When I got the system back, I decided to reinstall Windows from scratch to see if DSDT override was required or not and to put the system back in a more standard configuration. It turned out that disabling the right items in device manager was all that was needed to begin with.

ReplyQuote
Anchoricex
(@anchoricex)
Trusted Member

That's encouraging, I'll try to temper my excitement just in case but I'll follow what you did at the bottom of your post and will be crossing my fingers. The only caveat is rendering the internal keyboard/touchpad/webcam unusable which should be okay for me since I'll be docked with a usb keyboard/mouse. One more question, does these devices stay disabled even on reboot? IE, you only have to do this process once?

ReplyQuote
AVT
 AVT
(@avt)

That's encouraging, I'll try to temper my excitement just in case but I'll follow what you did at the bottom of your post and will be crossing my fingers. The only caveat is rendering the internal keyboard/touchpad/webcam unusable which should be okay for me since I'll be docked with a usb keyboard/mouse. One more question, does these devices stay disabled even on reboot? IE, you only have to do this process once?

On my system, you need to disable them to avoid BSOD upon plugging in the eGPU. This is not a one-time process and needs to be done every time the eGPU is to be used (provided you enable them again to use keyboard/mouse when eGPU is not plugged in). You can, of course, re-enable them when eGPU is not used.

15" MBP is not the same as 13", so try just plugging it into your system and see if it works. If you get error 12, disable the FaceTime camera, reboot the system, and try plugging it in again. If doing that causes a BSOD (or blue screen with graphics artifacts - this is a BSOD that fails to display properly), try my workaround. Your system I believe has an AMD GPU built in, so the behavior may be different, but until OS integration is better this is the price we have to pay as early adopters.

ReplyQuote