Setup & Software Discussions
Is Windows 10 Creator update 1709 compatible?

Is Windows 10 Creator update 1709 compatible?  

RSS

rockevan
(@rockevan)

Hi !

Before updating Windows 10 this week, the egpu was working fine

After I updated it, the MacBook cannot boot Windows. After the loading icon, the screen is just all black.

And I tried to use apple_set_os.efi to boot, I was able to login into Windows, however, it crashed when I tried to install the NVidia driver

When I booted again using apple_set_os.efi , it just showed black screen.

After that, I downgraded Windows to 1703. It works fine.

Does anyone know how to tackle this issue?

Spec:

2014 Macbook Pro 15 inch
Akitio Node with GTX 1060 3GB

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
remiadf
(@remiadf)

I can confirm that I have the exact same problem. I didn’t even want to update. Microsoft forced it upon me. 

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

Can you post your Mac specs? @Leoben and I notice Windows 10 Fall Creator Update version 1709 is better for eGPU. We are using Late 2016 MacBook Pros.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
Yeahnah
(@yeahnah)

Yeah dude I’m having trouble with it too. 

Since updating the display will switch back and forth between my monitor and my laptop completely randomly.

Im using an Akita node + 1070 + XPS 15 9550

Zero issues before updating to Windows 1709. Can’t find a fix. Tried nothing and I’m all out of ideas.

ReplyQuote
Yeahnah
(@yeahnah)

I've found something that will start triggering the switching. On startup, the external display works fine, but once I open the notification centre or the windows settings app it will start to switch back and forth between laptop display and my monitor. Anyone else having this problem?

ReplyQuote
remiadf
(@remiadf)

Posted by: itsage

Can you post your Mac specs? @Leoben and I notice Windows 10 Fall Creator Update version 1709 is better for eGPU. We are using Late 2016 MacBook Pros.

Mine is a MacBook Pro (retina, mid 2012).

2,3 GHz, 8 GB. Intel HD 4000, GT 650M. 

ReplyQuote
nascasho
(@nascasho)

Similar issues here, 2012 Mac Mini and just updated to W10 build 1709 and all I get is a black screen when I use my eGPU, but if I use integrated graphics it works fine.

🙁

ReplyQuote
andy
 andy
(@andy)
Eminent Member

At one point I had my eGPU (MZ-02, GTX 1080 Ti) working on Windows Bootcamp (2016 MBP 15"), think it was version 1703 Anniversary. Then Windows forced me to update something just prior to 1709 and yeah, it broke my setup. This is sort of what you guys are dealing with, Windows forced a feature update and things have gone bananas.

I personally reinstalled everything and right now I'm running a fully updated 1709 with the same eGPU. So yes, it's compatible. I have noticed some things are different this time around, like the way devices are named and listed under Device Manager (at least 1703 Anniversay vs 1709 Fall Creators Update). Knowing that, maybe you guys should try reset your Device Manager back to factory, meaning before you fixed Error 12 with your GPU, and then "fix it" again.

ReplyQuote
nascasho
(@nascasho)

Posted by: andy

At one point I had my eGPU (MZ-02, GTX 1080 Ti) working on Windows Bootcamp (2016 MBP 15"), think it was version 1703 Anniversary. Then Windows forced me to update something just prior to 1709 and yeah, it broke my setup. This is sort of what you guys are dealing with, Windows forced a feature update and things have gone bananas.

I personally reinstalled everything and right now I'm running a fully updated 1709 with the same eGPU. So yes, it's compatible. I have noticed some things are different this time around, like the way devices are named and listed under Device Manager (at least 1703 Anniversay vs 1709 Fall Creators Update). Knowing that, maybe you guys should try reset your Device Manager back to factory, meaning before you fixed Error 12 with your GPU, and then "fix it" again.

I never had to do the Error 12 fix, it just worked and I didn't have to install anything special in Windows.

Sounds like I may just need to reset the OS to factory...

ReplyQuote
rockevan
(@rockevan)

Last time, while doing update, I was attached the egpu to MacBook.
This time, I updated Windows while egpu was always active during the whole process.

I used apple_set_os.efi every time when it rebooted for updates.

Now egpu works fine now with the latest Nvidia driver 388.00.

ReplyQuote
andy
 andy
(@andy)
Eminent Member

Posted by: nascasho
I never had to do the Error 12 fix, it just worked and I didn't have to install anything special in Windows.Sounds like I may just need to reset the OS to factory..

When you’re on Windows, with your eGPU attached, what does Device Manager report? You mentioned you’re on a 2012 Mac Mini, I’m not familiar with that model but I thought only 2017 MBPs could skip the Error 12 fix.

ReplyQuote
nascasho
(@nascasho)

Posted by: nascasho
I never had to do the Error 12 fix, it just worked and I didn't have to install anything special in Windows.Sounds like I may just need to reset the OS to factory..

When you’re on Windows, with your eGPU attached, what does Device Manager report? You mentioned you’re on a 2012 Mac Mini, I’m not familiar with that model but I thought only 2017 MBPs could skip the Error 12 fix.

Unfortunately, since I am unable to boot into Windows I cannot see my device manager and I don't recall what it said in device manager.

It was totally unexpected for it to work out of the box, but low and behold it did and all I needed to do was install the Nvidia drivers. Too easy... I know lol.

ReplyQuote
andy
 andy
(@andy)
Eminent Member

Oh, I thought you could still boot with the integrated graphics. Is it still not working?

You may want to try just reinstalling Windows. If 1709 doesn’t want to play nicely then I could upload Windows 1607 Anniversary Edition, it’s the official ISO from Microsoft (not pirated).

ReplyQuote
nascasho
(@nascasho)

Oh, I thought you could still boot with the integrated graphics. Is it still not working?

You may want to try just reinstalling Windows. If 1709 doesn’t want to play nicely then I could upload Windows 1607 Anniversary Edition, it’s the official ISO from Microsoft (not pirated).

Sorry, I just noticed what you were referring to. I can boot into W10 1709 when I connect via HDMI and disconnect the Thunderbolt cable to the enclosure.

I'm going to try rolling back and thanks for offering to upload the anniversary edition! I think that I'll just reinstall 1709 if it comes to it since it's working for you. I feel like some driver somewhere is bugged and not initializing the eGPU. It's definitely recognized because I'll see the windows boot-up logo (the blue logo on black background) on my screen for like 2 sec and boom, black screen. My monitor also stays on if that helps, it usually goes to sleep when there isn't any signal etc.

Thanks for the help btw!

ReplyQuote
andy
 andy
(@andy)
Eminent Member

Yeah no problem. Get into the habit of creating Restore Points so you can easily reverse direction if things go bad. When Windows does a major feature update though your restore points get wiped. You may want to disable system updates as a precaution, since Windows is will eventually force these potentially breaking updates on you.

Message me if you ever want that Anniversary iso.

ReplyQuote
4chip4
(@4chip4)
Estimable Member

FWIW It might be worthwhile unticking the "feature upgrades" option in the update section. That way at least if it's mission critical, you still have a couple of weeks/months of headroom until it gets figured out (unless you're willing to bite the bullet and/or need a feature from the new release), without leaving your system unpatched, especially if you're running a not-so-common install of Windows (like bootcamp with an eGPU). 1709 does have a couple of nifty additions for (e)GPUs (was pleasantly surprised by the richer GPU info in task manager), but obviously if it doesn't work for you, that doesn't mean much.

2017 HP Spectre x360 15 i7-8550U GTX150 + GTX970@16Gbps-TB3 (HP Omen Accelerator) + Oculus Rift + Win10 (no guide)
HP Omen Accelerator Thunderbolt 3 enclosure legs stand removal walkthrough
Employed by HP, but my posts and opinions expressed on this forum are my own.

ReplyQuote
rockevan
(@rockevan)

Somehow I could not boot into Windows, though it was working fine for five days.
I found out it shows error 12 in the device manger. 

ReplyQuote
tfindlay
(@tfindlay)

Good thread. I just got the dreaded 1709 update last night.

Spec:

Late 2016 MBP / w Touchbar

Akitio Node/w GTX 1070

After the update rebooted, I just get black screens. Oddly switching my 2 screens on/off produces the windows sound for adding new devices, I just cant see anything!

I tried disabling the PCI devices in device manager, and removing everything so that all I had was the eGPU, but still no joy.

If I remove it the eGPU and let it reboot a few times, it works fine on the internal display. The new GPU monitor in task manager looks cool, but its not really relevant for the crappy Intel chip.

I looked at rolling back to 1703, but conveniently the update history is empty.

I'm tossing up my options of what to try next:

a) Back up all my files, wipe out and reload with latest Win10 image from Microsoft

b) Sell Macbook + Node and get a Razor

PS. I'm assuming Apple + Microsoft don't care whatsoever about my dilemma and will be of no assistance.

UPDATE: Whilst windows convieniently load the update history preventing me from rolling back, I did find an earlier restore point that I used to go back to 1703 and everything is working again.

ReplyQuote
EdwardZhang
(@edwardzhang)

That's a great help in this thread. Maybe it's the 1709 that preventing my gaming box

ReplyQuote
econhero
(@econhero)
Eminent Member

For those who'd like to download ISO images for earlier versions of Windows 10:

https://tb.rg-adguard.net/index.php  

Once you obtain the ISO images, create a bootable drive with rufus.

I can testify to the genuineness of the Windows 10 Pro+Home x64 ISO for build 15063, which fixed my problems on my XPS 13 + Node set up related to the build 16229. 

Rycco liked
ReplyQuote
geaguirre80
(@geaguirre80)
Eminent Member

Just installed Fall Creators Update, everything working fine (MBP 15"2016 + NODE + 980ti) using refind + iGPU.

ReplyQuote
Rycco
(@rycco)
Reputable Member

Posted by: geaguirre80

Just installed Fall Creators Update, everything working fine (MBP 15"2016 + NODE + 980ti) using refind + iGPU.

And you were on High Sierra?

mid-2017 15" Macbook Pro RP555 + [email protected] (Mantiz Venus) + macOS & Win10

ReplyQuote
geaguirre80
(@geaguirre80)
Eminent Member

Yes, I'm on high sierra but I'm using a DSDT override too, so both method combined may help.

ReplyQuote
akeean
(@akeean)

1709 seems to have changed something with ressource allocation. After the update, my Sony with an ATI dGPU now does not free up the ressources anymore if I deactivate the dGPU in device manager and restart, causing the eGPU be stuck with Error 12 as if the dGPU was still active. (Can't do an override with Setup 1.35 as I have yet to find a decompiler that does not lose 80% of the extracted file)

ReplyQuote
usafballer
(@usafballer)
Eminent Member

Posted by: econhero

For those who'd like to download ISO images for earlier versions of Windows 10:

https://tb.rg-adguard.net/index.php  

Once you obtain the ISO images, create a bootable drive with rufus.

I can testify to the genuineness of the Windows 10 Pro+Home x64 ISO for build 15063, which fixed my problems on my XPS 13 + Node set up related to the build 16229. 

I used another site, but I've gone back to Anniversary edition, have a PRO key, and used the option within Windows Update to delay/defer any further major branch updates for 365 days (after "Branch for Business" release, which hasn't happened yet).  This setup needs to work reliably for me - and it was not working at all under fall creators update.

ReplyQuote
André Santos Silva
(@andre_santos_silva)

sorry for bumping this post.

Updating to 1709 is currently busting my setup. Caution recommended when updating.

As far as I can tell, this hasn't been a widespread issue and I have not read any solutions for this problem.

late-2013 13" Macbook Pro Retina + [email protected] (Sonnet Greakaway 350 via TB3->TB2 adapter) + macOS10.13 & Win10

ReplyQuote
(@leonardo_villalpando)

So I am experiencing problems with my Akito Node, MacBook Pro Running Bootcamp, and Asus GTX 1080 Strix . Every time I boot up into Mac OS my GTX fans run for a second then turn off and the light turns normal. When I boot into Windows the Gtx stays white and fans are constantly going. Idk what to do to solve it.

ReplyQuote
André Santos Silva
(@andre_santos_silva)

The Nvidia Cards do not work natively in macOS. Please refer to the guide in the forum in order to solve it. Concerning the bootcamp partition, do you get the error 12?

late-2013 13" Macbook Pro Retina + [email protected] (Sonnet Greakaway 350 via TB3->TB2 adapter) + macOS10.13 & Win10

ReplyQuote
andy
 andy
(@andy)
Eminent Member

If you want to use Nvidia GPUs on a Mac then stick with Sierra. Getting High Sierra to play nicely is a bit of a headache, especially when there’s OS updates that break it (happened to me last week).

Resolving Error 12 on Bootcamp is well documented, so rtfm. I have no problems running the latest Windows 10 updates, in fact I didn’t even remove the Bootcamp drivers for the ATI chipset. Take care of Error 12, install your Nvidia drivers and it just works (take that, Apple!).

ReplyQuote
cuppino
(@cuppino)
Eminent Member

Hello everyone,
Monday I'll get an asus vega 64 to use with my razer core x for egpu on imac 5k 2017.
At the moment I have windows 1703 installed.
With this version of windows, the use of egpu is plug & play or should I use some particular procedure?
All the guides I found on the internet are for macbook.
For the egpu do I have to use the official amd directories or should I download them from bootcampdriver?
The only thing I understood is that when I want to use the egpu I have to use an external monitor.
I apologize for my bad English, but I'm Italian and here in Italy the egpu world is not widespread.

iMac 27" 5k 2019 (i9 9900k 3,6ghz, 40gb ram ddr4 2666 mhz, ssd 1tb, dgpu Radeon pro vega 48 8gb), Egpu: Razer Core X with ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 2080 Ti AMP Extreme Core
Osx 10.14.6
Windows 10 pro 1903 (bootcamp with external ssd 1tb Samsung evo 860)

ReplyQuote