Is Windows 10 Creator update 1709 compatible?

Notifications
Clear all

Is Windows 10 Creator update 1709 compatible?  

of  3
  RSS

rockevan
(@rockevan)

Hi !

Before updating Windows 10 this week, the egpu was working fine

After I updated it, the MacBook cannot boot Windows. After the loading icon, the screen is just all black.

And I tried to use apple_set_os.efi to boot, I was able to login into Windows, however, it crashed when I tried to install the NVidia driver

When I booted again using apple_set_os.efi , it just showed black screen.

After that, I downgraded Windows to 1703. It works fine.

Does anyone know how to tackle this issue?

Spec:

2014 Macbook Pro 15 inch
Akitio Node with GTX 1060 3GB

MacBook Pro 15 inch 2018
Akitio Node RX 5700
MacOS 10.15.3
Windows Fast Ring Build 19603

ReplyQuote
remiadf
(@remiadf)

I can confirm that I have the exact same problem. I didn’t even want to update. Microsoft forced it upon me. 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

Can you post your Mac specs? @Leoben and I notice Windows 10 Fall Creator Update version 1709 is better for eGPU. We are using Late 2016 MacBook Pros.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Yeahnah
(@yeahnah)

Yeah dude I’m having trouble with it too. 

Since updating the display will switch back and forth between my monitor and my laptop completely randomly.

Im using an Akita node + 1070 + XPS 15 9550

Zero issues before updating to Windows 1709. Can’t find a fix. Tried nothing and I’m all out of ideas.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Yeahnah
(@yeahnah)

I've found something that will start triggering the switching. On startup, the external display works fine, but once I open the notification centre or the windows settings app it will start to switch back and forth between laptop display and my monitor. Anyone else having this problem?

ReplyQuote
remiadf
(@remiadf)

Posted by: itsage

Can you post your Mac specs? @Leoben and I notice Windows 10 Fall Creator Update version 1709 is better for eGPU. We are using Late 2016 MacBook Pros.

Mine is a MacBook Pro (retina, mid 2012).

2,3 GHz, 8 GB. Intel HD 4000, GT 650M. 

ReplyQuote
nascasho
(@nascasho)

Similar issues here, 2012 Mac Mini and just updated to W10 build 1709 and all I get is a black screen when I use my eGPU, but if I use integrated graphics it works fine.

🙁

ReplyQuote
andy
 andy
(@andy)
Eminent Member

At one point I had my eGPU (MZ-02, GTX 1080 Ti) working on Windows Bootcamp (2016 MBP 15"), think it was version 1703 Anniversary. Then Windows forced me to update something just prior to 1709 and yeah, it broke my setup. This is sort of what you guys are dealing with, Windows forced a feature update and things have gone bananas.

I personally reinstalled everything and right now I'm running a fully updated 1709 with the same eGPU. So yes, it's compatible. I have noticed some things are different this time around, like the way devices are named and listed under Device Manager (at least 1703 Anniversay vs 1709 Fall Creators Update). Knowing that, maybe you guys should try reset your Device Manager back to factory, meaning before you fixed Error 12 with your GPU, and then "fix it" again.

ReplyQuote
nascasho
(@nascasho)

Posted by: andy

At one point I had my eGPU (MZ-02, GTX 1080 Ti) working on Windows Bootcamp (2016 MBP 15"), think it was version 1703 Anniversary. Then Windows forced me to update something just prior to 1709 and yeah, it broke my setup. This is sort of what you guys are dealing with, Windows forced a feature update and things have gone bananas.

I personally reinstalled everything and right now I'm running a fully updated 1709 with the same eGPU. So yes, it's compatible. I have noticed some things are different this time around, like the way devices are named and listed under Device Manager (at least 1703 Anniversay vs 1709 Fall Creators Update). Knowing that, maybe you guys should try reset your Device Manager back to factory, meaning before you fixed Error 12 with your GPU, and then "fix it" again.

I never had to do the Error 12 fix, it just worked and I didn't have to install anything special in Windows.

Sounds like I may just need to reset the OS to factory...

ReplyQuote
rockevan
(@rockevan)

Last time, while doing update, I was attached the egpu to MacBook.
This time, I updated Windows while egpu was always active during the whole process.

I used apple_set_os.efi every time when it rebooted for updates.

Now egpu works fine now with the latest Nvidia driver 388.00.

MacBook Pro 15 inch 2018
Akitio Node RX 5700
MacOS 10.15.3
Windows Fast Ring Build 19603

ReplyQuote
 of  3