Is Windows 10 Creator update 1709 compatible?

Notifications
Clear all

Is Windows 10 Creator update 1709 compatible?  

of  3
  RSS

andy
 andy
(@andy)
Eminent Member

Posted by: nascasho
I never had to do the Error 12 fix, it just worked and I didn't have to install anything special in Windows.Sounds like I may just need to reset the OS to factory..

When you’re on Windows, with your eGPU attached, what does Device Manager report? You mentioned you’re on a 2012 Mac Mini, I’m not familiar with that model but I thought only 2017 MBPs could skip the Error 12 fix.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
nascasho
(@nascasho)

Posted by: andy
Posted by: nascasho
I never had to do the Error 12 fix, it just worked and I didn't have to install anything special in Windows.Sounds like I may just need to reset the OS to factory..

When you’re on Windows, with your eGPU attached, what does Device Manager report? You mentioned you’re on a 2012 Mac Mini, I’m not familiar with that model but I thought only 2017 MBPs could skip the Error 12 fix.

Unfortunately, since I am unable to boot into Windows I cannot see my device manager and I don't recall what it said in device manager.

It was totally unexpected for it to work out of the box, but low and behold it did and all I needed to do was install the Nvidia drivers. Too easy... I know lol.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
andy
 andy
(@andy)
Eminent Member

Oh, I thought you could still boot with the integrated graphics. Is it still not working?

You may want to try just reinstalling Windows. If 1709 doesn’t want to play nicely then I could upload Windows 1607 Anniversary Edition, it’s the official ISO from Microsoft (not pirated).

ReplyQuote
nascasho
(@nascasho)

Posted by: andy

Oh, I thought you could still boot with the integrated graphics. Is it still not working?

You may want to try just reinstalling Windows. If 1709 doesn’t want to play nicely then I could upload Windows 1607 Anniversary Edition, it’s the official ISO from Microsoft (not pirated).

Sorry, I just noticed what you were referring to. I can boot into W10 1709 when I connect via HDMI and disconnect the Thunderbolt cable to the enclosure.

I'm going to try rolling back and thanks for offering to upload the anniversary edition! I think that I'll just reinstall 1709 if it comes to it since it's working for you. I feel like some driver somewhere is bugged and not initializing the eGPU. It's definitely recognized because I'll see the windows boot-up logo (the blue logo on black background) on my screen for like 2 sec and boom, black screen. My monitor also stays on if that helps, it usually goes to sleep when there isn't any signal etc.

Thanks for the help btw!

ReplyQuote
andy
 andy
(@andy)
Eminent Member

Yeah no problem. Get into the habit of creating Restore Points so you can easily reverse direction if things go bad. When Windows does a major feature update though your restore points get wiped. You may want to disable system updates as a precaution, since Windows is will eventually force these potentially breaking updates on you.

Message me if you ever want that Anniversary iso.

ReplyQuote
4chip4
(@4chip4)
Estimable Member

FWIW It might be worthwhile unticking the "feature upgrades" option in the update section. That way at least if it's mission critical, you still have a couple of weeks/months of headroom until it gets figured out (unless you're willing to bite the bullet and/or need a feature from the new release), without leaving your system unpatched, especially if you're running a not-so-common install of Windows (like bootcamp with an eGPU). 1709 does have a couple of nifty additions for (e)GPUs (was pleasantly surprised by the richer GPU info in task manager), but obviously if it doesn't work for you, that doesn't mean much.

2017 HP Spectre x360 15 i7-8550U GTX150 + GTX970@16Gbps-TB3 (HP Omen Accelerator) + Oculus Rift + Win10 (no guide)
HP Omen Accelerator Thunderbolt 3 enclosure legs stand removal walkthrough
Employed by HP, but my posts and opinions expressed on this forum are my own.

ReplyQuote
rockevan
(@rockevan)

Somehow I could not boot into Windows, though it was working fine for five days.
I found out it shows error 12 in the device manger. 

MacBook Pro 15 inch 2018
Akitio Node RX 5700
MacOS 10.15.3
Windows Fast Ring Build 19603

ReplyQuote
tfindlay
(@tfindlay)

Good thread. I just got the dreaded 1709 update last night.

Spec:

Late 2016 MBP / w Touchbar

Akitio Node/w GTX 1070

After the update rebooted, I just get black screens. Oddly switching my 2 screens on/off produces the windows sound for adding new devices, I just cant see anything!

I tried disabling the PCI devices in device manager, and removing everything so that all I had was the eGPU, but still no joy.

If I remove it the eGPU and let it reboot a few times, it works fine on the internal display. The new GPU monitor in task manager looks cool, but its not really relevant for the crappy Intel chip.

I looked at rolling back to 1703, but conveniently the update history is empty.

I'm tossing up my options of what to try next:

a) Back up all my files, wipe out and reload with latest Win10 image from Microsoft

b) Sell Macbook + Node and get a Razer

PS. I'm assuming Apple + Microsoft don't care whatsoever about my dilemma and will be of no assistance.

UPDATE: Whilst windows convieniently load the update history preventing me from rolling back, I did find an earlier restore point that I used to go back to 1703 and everything is working again.

ReplyQuote
EdwardZhang
(@edwardzhang)

That's a great help in this thread. Maybe it's the 1709 that preventing my gaming box

ReplyQuote
econhero
(@econhero)
Eminent Member

For those who'd like to download ISO images for earlier versions of Windows 10:

https://tb.rg-adguard.net/index.php  

Once you obtain the ISO images, create a bootable drive with rufus.

I can testify to the genuineness of the Windows 10 Pro+Home x64 ISO for build 15063, which fixed my problems on my XPS 13 + Node set up related to the build 16229. 

2017 13" Lenovo Yoga 720 [8th,4C,U] + GTX 770 @ 16Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + Win10 [build link]  

Rycco liked
ReplyQuote
 of  3