Setup & Software Discussions
Issue with in-game crashing - 2014 MacBook Pro 15" + Akitio Thunder 2 + 1060 6GB...

[Solved] Issue with in-game crashing - 2014 MacBook Pro 15" + Akitio Thunder 2 + 1060 6GB + Dell DA-2 + Windows 10  

RSS

Fuze911
(@fuze911)
Trusted Member

Hey all. I've spent the last few months dealing with this issue where i'm getting an inconsistent crash while gaming. It's not limited to one game and it happens during various intensities during gameplay.

I get a black screen on both monitors and my graphics card fan goes to 100%. I then have to force reboot and spend the next 10 or so minutes trying to get back into Windows. I get a spinning windows load screen for the first 1 or 2 attempts when booting back in but then it works just fine.

So far, I have tried:

1. DDU my current drivers and reinstall fresh
  2. Re-wired the enclosure to avoid the barrel plug
  3. Unplugged the Noctua fans and LEDs I have in the enclosure
  4. Uninstall all overclocking software
  5. Quit all other apps before playing
  6. Running stress test of other PC components

I purchased a second Dell DA-2 power supply and I "think" it doesn't crash on that particular one but it's too soon to tell. That is what I'm currently testing.

EDIT: also worth noting that I plugged the entire setup into a watt meter and during the Heaven benchmark the enclosure pulled 130 watts with both additional noctuals running. So, I know it's not lacking power...maybe just the DA-2 went bad?

Is there anything else I should try? It does SOUND like a power delivery issue, but maybe someone has had something similar and managed to fix it?

This topic was modified 4 months ago

Current Build:
15" MacBook Pro (mid 2014) + MSI AERO GTX1060 6GB+ Akitio Thunder2 (Case Mod) + Dell DA-2 + EFI Hybrid v1.0.3. + OSX 10.13.6 + Win 10

☞ Build Thread
☞ 3D Printed High Air Flow front cover for Akitio Thunder 2/3 Enclosure

ReplyQuote
Fuze911
(@fuze911)
Trusted Member

SOLUTION:
A few days after posting the issue it began to crash more often and pretty much as soon as the graphics card was being used for anything other than idle. I ordered a second Dell Da-2 power supply and the issue was immediately resolved. Looks the my original Dell Da-2 power supply that I have been using daily for both work and at home for over a year and a half had finally gave out. Can't be upset, they are between 10 and 15 bucks on eBay. Anyway, that was the issue, it was a power supply failure.
This post was modified 3 months ago

Current Build:
15" MacBook Pro (mid 2014) + MSI AERO GTX1060 6GB+ Akitio Thunder2 (Case Mod) + Dell DA-2 + EFI Hybrid v1.0.3. + OSX 10.13.6 + Win 10

☞ Build Thread

ReplyQuote
Fuze911
(@fuze911)
Trusted Member

EDIT:
I spoke too soon. Even with a new power supply I just had the same old crash. I'm out of ideas. Any suggestions on what to try next?

Current Build:

☞ Build Thread

ReplyQuote
Fuze911
(@fuze911)
Trusted Member

ACTUAL SOLUTION:
After weeks of dealing with this issue on and off, I have found a solution...a real one this time. I learned that graphics cards take their first 75 watts from the PCIE port. Then once at 75, the rest comes from the power connector on the card itself. This particular card was using around 100watts total in my testing so it was pulling 75 from the board and around 25 watts from the 6pin connector.

Now that I know how power delivery works, I realized I only used two of the 6 total wires from my power supply to power the Akitio's board. Thus giving the boards + PCEI slot all of it's power via two, very thin wires.

To fix this, I basically made a splitter for power the board and the card. 6 = 6 for card +6 for board. Doing this has completely fixed my issue and I can now run the card at max overclock in all games  and it has been running for over a week without issue. It was crashing because it couldn't get enough power.

Current Build:

☞ Build Thread

ReplyQuote