Issue with Razer Core X Chroma and Nvidia GTX 1080

Notifications
Clear all

Issue with Razer Core X Chroma and Nvidia GTX 1080  

of  2
  RSS

Steve Main
(@steve_main)

I have a Dell Latitude 5290 2in1 tablet/laptop that is amazing and I wanted to add some umph to it for poker and streaming (I play on GGPoker and their table renderings require some GPU power). I found that the iGPU just want not cutting it with 6 tables open and rendering a 1080 stream for Twitch, the CPU was at 100% and the iGPU was at 100%. I started to look for a solution and landed on the Razer Core X Chroma eGPU case as I currently had a thunderbolt docking station so it would be nice to replace it with this and use one cable only. I grabbed a spare 1080 GTP card and threw it in. I plugged my 3 monitors into it and have my laptop screen disabled (It just sits in a tablet mount on the wall behind my monitor) I disable the monitor form the Windows "Display Setting" screen. So now I have 3 monitors plugged into the eGPU that is mounted under my desk

1x24" 1080P 60Hz ViewSonic

1x27" 1080P 60Hz Dell

1x20" 1050x1680 60Hz Dell Rotated to portrait

Link to pictures of my setup (Sorry could not find a way to attach pictures to the post)

I plugged in the eGPU then windows installed its default drivers and then I downloaded Nvidia's auto detect software and it installed the correct drives for my system and hardware. It all seems to be working great then I noticed when streaming my Logitech 920 camera kept glitching and sometimes would freeze right up. I am working with Nvidia support on this issue as they say the camera is not getting enough power is the issue form the USB ports on the eGPU enclosure. SO while working with that issue I started to notice a horrible slow down of my machine. It was like the CPU was being thermal throttled and it could barely do anything like 1-2 FPS kind of thing, reboots would not help then I remembered that Nvidia put out new drivers that I updated to so I rolled back to the previous version and I am still having an issues every so often. It's completely random when it happens but things like selecting text has a lag to it, moving a window will jump sometimes. When I join a Google Meet their video is fine but my video is like 10 FPS and very annoying. When I look at the resources of the system its not even breaking a sweat the CPU is below 15% the memory is at 8GB of 16GB, the internal GPU is not being used so its all zeros, and the eGPU is at ~4%

I know this is all random stuff and if I remove the eGPU it stops so it is the eGPU or driver issues I am thinking.

I was just curious if others have had any success getting this thing to be stable. The only way it seems to be stable is if I enable my laptop screen and then things like Google Meets seem to work fine. I believe this is because I read on here that when you have your laptop screen enabled Chrome will use the first GPU it sees to use for rendering with and it will use the iGPU. I just cannot for the life of me figure out what the issue is. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I do IT for a living in a business setting so GPUs are not my normal cup of tea and I just feel like I might be missing something simple here.

BTW running Windows 10 Pro x64 latest updates installed 

Thanks in advance

Dell Latitude 5290 2in1, i7, 1TB Nvme, 16 GB Ram, Razer Core X Chroma with a Nvidia GTX 1080

ReplyQuote
Steve Main
(@steve_main)

Anyone? I seriously want to throw this box out the window. I feel so frustrated with it right now. I spent all this money to get worse performance out of it! I cant even browse website's its so slow! You tube take like 2 min to load then if you full screen a window it takes like 30 seconds to do that

This post was modified 3 months ago

Dell Latitude 5290 2in1, i7, 1TB Nvme, 16 GB Ram, Razer Core X Chroma with a Nvidia GTX 1080

ReplyQuote
Boltoway
(@boltoway)
Estimable Member

@steve_main, High bandwidth or latency-dependant USB peripherals are known to have performance issues when running through an eGPU. Running three screens and all your peripherals through the eGPU would be using a lot of the bandwidth available to you. The camera issue might simply be a result of the eGPU not providing enough bandwidth to maintain a stable connection to the camera. 

One thing you can do to diagnose any potential bandwidth issues is run CUDA-Z and under the Performance Tab monitor the Host To Device and Device to Host bandwidth. It should be consistently over 2000MiB/s without too much fluctuation.

You could try to do the following and see if they impact your system performance:

1. Open Device Manager and under Display Adaptors, disable your internal Intel GPU.

2. Under the NVIDIA Control Panel, navigate to Manage 3D Settings, and in the Global Settings tab, change the Power Management Mode to Prefer Maximum Performance.

3. Disable / Enable Hardware Acceleration in Google Chrome

5. If your system allows it, under Window's Power Plan Advanced Settings, change the "PCIe Link State Power Management" to "OFF".

4. You could try to add Google Chrome to the NVIDIA Control Panel Program Settings List and set it to Prefer "High performance NVIDIA Processor". You can also do this in Windows under Graphics Settings. 

2021 14" Lenovo Yoga Slim 7i Pro (MX450) [11th,4C,H] + RTX 3060 @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 21H1 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Steve Main
(@steve_main)

@boltoway, thanks for the reply. I have installed the app that you spoke of CUDA-Z and looking at the performance tab I am seeing Host to Device: 2230-2270 and Device to Host: 2665-2680 it jumps around a bit. what does this tell me? At the moment my eGPU seems to be stable and working.

1. I have tested this with no change (also what happens if I want to use my iGPU when not plugged into the eGPU?)

2. I have done this, no changes

3. I have not done this are you saying what ever setting its at currently change it to the opposite just to test and see if the issue goes away?

4. I will try this I have the defaults set to NVIDIA

5. I don't have this option in power profile. i get only things like Sleep and hibernate options even in the advanced section. I have tried to go to my host connectors for USB and don't allow windows to turn them off

So one other thing i just did was made sure my BIOS was up to date, it seems there was an update.. that didn't help but I know because I am an IT guy I have messed with the BIOS settings in the past about speed stepping and disabled it to get more performance from my CPU so I reset my BIOS to its default factory settings and so far my eGPU has been stable. Using a Google meet is the real test. so only time will tell

ReplyQuote
Boltoway
(@boltoway)
Estimable Member

@steve_main

it jumps around a bit. what does this tell me

How big of a fluctation are we talking? Going up and down up to ~50MiB/s is normal. Does it drop below 2000 in sudden spikes?

1. I have tested this with no change (also what happens if I want to use my iGPU when not plugged into the eGPU?)

You can re-enable it at any time. Sometimes you can get away with disabling and then re-enabling it instantly. This is a common issue with eGPU systems. It is essentially the only issue I have with my system, that would cause stuttering in certain graphical scenarios such as moving program windows. If I disable and then enable my iGPU, the problem is immediately resolved. 

3. I have not done this are you saying what ever setting its at currently change it to the opposite just to test and see if the issue goes away?

Yes, more or less. Just a test. 

5. I don't have this option in power profile

That was expected, most companies remove these options in their devices sadly. 

2021 14" Lenovo Yoga Slim 7i Pro (MX450) [11th,4C,H] + RTX 3060 @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 21H1 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Steve Main
(@steve_main)

@boltoway

Posted by: @boltoway

How big of a fluctation are we talking?

No it only fluctuates a very minor amount like you stated so it seems stable now for a day. I believe it went stable once I reset my BIOS to factory default settings so things like Intel Speed Step are turned back on and a few other power management things that I would think would need to be off to make this run optimally. We will see if it holds stable. Ill report back!

Boltoway liked
ReplyQuote
Steve Main
(@steve_main)

So seems the problem came up again today, seems like as soon as I start a Google Meet the problem starts and does not go away even after a reboot which is weird. I looked at the CUDA numbers when this was happening and the numbers were all over the place like 1600-2300 huge jumps like that. I tried turning hardware acceleration off with no change and I tried adding Chrome.exe to the programs list to force it to use the eGPU. Still same issues. What is it about a Google Meet that causes this problem I wonder? And then why does it not go away after a reboot is it because it screws something up on the eGPU case board?  I'm going to try rebooting the eGPU case.

Next to that the only other thing I can do is test with another GPU in the case and see if that fixes anything.

ReplyQuote
Boltoway
(@boltoway)
Estimable Member

@steve_main, That is quite odd! I have never personally used Google Meet but if I come accross a possible solution I will let you know. 

ReplyQuote
Steve Main
(@steve_main)

So here is a question, when I am in the Nvidia control panel when I look at programs it says that windows 10 controls the apps use of GPUs So even if you set this in the Nvidia control panel it looks like windows 10 gets to control what app gets what CPU. Does anyone know anything about this?

ReplyQuote
Boltoway
(@boltoway)
Estimable Member

@steve_main, This was part of a feature update in Windows 10 Version 2004. From what I have read it is basically the same thing, but done through Windows. Whenever I have changed the settings myself I have just done it through both the NVIDIA Control Panel and Windows Graphics Settings. 

ReplyQuote
 of  2