Issues with Auros 3080 Gaming Box & Dell XPS15 9550

Notifications
Clear all

Issues with Auros 3080 Gaming Box & Dell XPS15 9550  

RSS

Dark Messiah
(@dark_messiah)

Hi, I've got an Auros rtx 3080 gaming box connected to my Dell XPS 15 9550 and after much tweaking have got it working successfully for playing video games, and this part I am very impressed with. The issue I have is when not playing video games and browsing, the mouse cursor will periodically disappear from the screen for 1-2 seconds, then reappear in a different location. Sometimes the screen will freeze altogether and need a reboot. I have tried reinstalling drivers and can confirm that the eGPU and not the internal one is being used when browsing also.

Also, I cannot start the laptop with the eGPU connected to Thunderbolt - it just keeps restarting before getting to windows. I need to leave it unplugged, wait for it to get into windows, then connect it.

Lastly, the programmable buttons on my corsair mouse stop working, but for some reason start again after a few hours. If I switch back to the internal GPU, they immediately work again.

I raised a ticket with Gigabyte 15 days ago but have had no response so far. I'm hoping its not a hardware issue and can be fixed. Any suggestions are appreciated!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@dark_messiah, Thunderbolt 3 was not properly implemented on the XPS 9550 so some of these issues might be related to that. You can try changing a few settings in the BIOS for Thunderbolt and see if that makes a difference. Mainly change Thunderbolt Security to No Security and Allow Bootable Thunderbolt. 

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 6700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (CM MasterCase EG200) + Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Dark Messiah
(@dark_messiah)

@itsage, Hi, thanks for the guidance, I've changed those 2 settings and the cursor freezing has improved but not fixed altogether. I still can't get the laptop to boot up with the egpu connected though - it restarts at the point of logging in to windows. Did you have any other suggestions i could try?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@dark_messiah, There are certain systems that may have firmware compatibility issue with RTX cards. You can check Dell support website for newer BIOS.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 6700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (CM MasterCase EG200) + Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote