Late 2019 Razer Blade Stealth GTX 1650 EGPU Work Around

Notifications
Clear all

Late 2019 Razer Blade Stealth GTX 1650 EGPU Work Around  

RSS

Cigmatic
(@cigmatic)

Hi All,

I was able to flip my previous 15" Razer Blade w/ RTX 2060 for a more portable setup that I have been really excited about.

I did want to bring to surface an issue with the Blade Stealth with dGPU in case it has not already been discussed here (sorry if it already has).  Currently, switching between dGPU (GTX 1650) and eGPU requires a re-install of drivers each time.

The drivers are saved on the system, so it's just a matter of scanning for new hardware and installing the drivers found.  It's an inconvenience, but either dGPU or eGPU will work once the correct driver is installed.  Also the key thing to remember here is that this needs to be repeated each time when swapping from one to the other.  The system does not seem to handle both dGPU and eGPU drivers being installed simultaneously.

Whether this is an Nvidia issue, or Microsoft (I'm running the  newest Win 10 1909 build), I am not sure.  I hope it's a software issue that is corrected in the future, or maybe Razer will update the legacy GPU switcher software.

At any rate, I have really enjoyed the setup as the 13" Stealth w/ the 1650 has been able to handle gaming on the go, while the laptop has also been great for productivity.  I use it for work.  Wanted to share this in case anyone was looking at a similar setup.

P.S. I noticed Solidfrye disabled the dGPU from a performance standpoint to get higher wattage from the CPU.  Did not seem to mention that this needs to be done to simply get the setup to work.

https://egpu.io/forums/builds/2019-razer-blade-stealth-gtx-10th4cg-gtx-1080-ti-32gbps-tb3-razer-core-x-win10-1909-solidfyre/

Razer Blade Stealth (2019 GTX 1650)
Macbook Pro 13 (2017)
Asus XG Station Pro eGPU
Nvidia 2070 RTX Super
AMD RX Vega 64

nando4 and itsage liked
ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

Thank you for the tips.  If you are intending to showcase your eGPU configuration, then consider completing a build template and submitting a build.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 1803 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Cigmatic
(@cigmatic)

Sure thing.  Less of a showcase of the configuration (although I'd like to do so when I have more time), and more just getting the switching issue with this setup on the forum.

Cheers.

Macbook Pro 13 (2017)
Asus XG Station Pro eGPU
Nvidia 2070 RTX Super
AMD RX Vega 64

ReplyQuote
Jean-Philippe Encausse
(@jean-philippe_encausse)

@cigmatic, I wanted that kind of setup with a Razer Core X Chroma as eGPU but more I read more I'm afraid of Razer

• First, buying the laptop is complicated in Europe, and there is A LOT of wrong data on store (old model, discount not applied, 404, etc ...)
  • I read on a lot of sources the CPU is at 15W will speedup at 25W if the dGPU is desactivated
  • And now you said you have to install the driver to make the eGPU work ???

I'm really thinking at switching to DELL XPS 13 because if I have to reinstall and desactivate stuff each time want t ogo mobile ... may be I should just drop the dGPU 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Cigmatic
(@cigmatic)

@jean-philippe_encausse, if you do not need to game on the go, the machines without a dGPU tend to work more seamlessly with eGPUs.

Also, usually have increased battery life.  I strongly considered the XPS 13 for my setup.  Great laptop and I like the XPS keyboard much better.

Wanting to game sometimes without the egpu led me to the stealth. 

Macbook Pro 13 (2017)
Asus XG Station Pro eGPU
Nvidia 2070 RTX Super
AMD RX Vega 64

ReplyQuote