Latitude 5290 2in1 throwing me some curveballs... Can anyone clarify?

Notifications
Clear all

Latitude 5290 2in1 throwing me some curveballs... Can anyone clarify?  

of  2
  RSS

Tiago Borba
(@tiago_borba)
Eminent Member

@mrcat updated my post previous comment with a link to benchmark results. See Unigine Superposition on the 5700 XT for relevant data: 13k points on 1080p Medium, as compared to the very top 5700 XT desktop value of 18k, loses about 23%, but that top score is likely ultra overclocked and cooled, so realistically I would say 15% drops. And the higher the resolution, the least overhead as per eGPU rule of thumb, so if you're running 3440x1440p or higher, you can expect better. Just don't expect too much because at some point the low power CPU may start introducing other bottlenecks, vs say a 35W 8750HK found on the same gen XPS 15. I may get some more benchmarks on mine (if it doesn't sell before that!) 

This post was modified 2 years ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

MrCat liked
ReplyQuote
MrCat
(@mrcat)
Trusted Member

Thanks! I have a 27" 1080p LG laying here and I believe the results will be better than my almost 7 year old Clevo P150SM (i7 4700MQ, 16GB, HD8970M, etc.) 😛

Seems these Latitudes are quite some capable devices. Shame that NVMe is capped with 2 lanes (the sucessor 7200 2-in-1 with the 8x65u processors unfortunately too, even though they support 16 Lanes) and that particulary on the 5290 there's not enough space to have an IR Camera and WWAN. I don't know, if there's any Windows tablet currently on the market which has so many features as these Dells. Did you test it with any other enclosures?

Dell Latitude 5290 2-in-1 (i7 8650u, 16GB LPDDR3) + Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Tablet 3rd Gen (i7 8550u, 16GB LPDDR3) + Mantiz Saturn Pro V2 + RTX 3070

ReplyQuote
load97
(@load97)

Did your games play okay even though the tablet is 2.5GT/s? I'm setup with my 2018 15" Macbook Pro and boot camp, but would rather have a dedicated tablet/laptop for daily tasks and to play GTA V and maybe Civ 6 on.

TIA!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
MrCat
(@mrcat)
Trusted Member

@load97

It does support OPI 4 GT/s Smile

Be aware that not every version of the 5290 2-in-1 has TB3, only the i7 and the i5 with 16GB RAM. The succesor on the other hand (Latitude 7200 2-in-1, 2019) might have in every version but NVMe is unfortunately still at 2x

Dell Latitude 5290 2-in-1 (i7 8650u, 16GB LPDDR3) + Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Tablet 3rd Gen (i7 8550u, 16GB LPDDR3) + Mantiz Saturn Pro V2 + RTX 3070

ReplyQuote
load97
(@load97)

@mrcat

Thanks. I was aware from reading it needs to be the high end model per say. Your previous post above and others thought it was maybe only 2 lanes limited in the bios or something. I’m kinda looking for something just for me to play GTA 5 or CIV. Nothing newer (aside from windows only software I have). I’ll be using my Xbox for the future GTA if ever comes out. Just tired of doing boot camp with my 2018 MacBook 15” and external graphics card. I’ve been running W10 Pro fast track For few months to make the setup work smoother.

Should have bought GTA V on Xbox years ago LOL. 

ReplyQuote
MrCat
(@mrcat)
Trusted Member

@load97

I haven't tested it myself yet, but according to @Tiago_Borba it should work without problems. They're quite reasonably priced and are capable devices, however Dell released the new 7210 2-in-1 (refresh from the 7200 with Comet Lake U processors) which means the 7200 will eventually get cheaper. They changed the cooling on the 7200, if it's any better than the one present on the 5285/5290 I don't know..

load97 liked
ReplyQuote
Xiwq
 Xiwq
(@xiwq)

Apparently there are more of us!

I got a 5290 2 in 1 for the same reasons and was lucky enough to find an i5, 16GB, TB3 model. Now I came across a good priced Aorus Gaming Box with a 1070 (400 euros) and thinking of grabbing it. I went from an Alienware 17R4 to the 5290 because I wanted to focus in work rather than gaming but the itch is real again.

I was considering building an ITX machine but then I'll end up with a bunch of systems since I already have a MBP for work.

Looking to play mostly FPSs (Destiny 2, Apex, maybe Valorant or giving Anthem another chance) on a 2560x1440 BenQ with highish settings, reckon is realistic?

@tiago_borba Reading your posts I got the impression that all the tweaking that you went through was just out of personal curiosity and the whole thing can be pretty much plug and play if I choose to.

@mrcat Judging by your signature you went ahead with it, happy with the results so far?

This post was modified 1 year ago

ReplyQuote
MrCat
(@mrcat)
Trusted Member

@Xiwq

Somehow I'm not able to see your post anymore but here's my experience so far:

Yes, I am using the setup on my sig. Everything was plug and play, I only needed to install the NVIDIA Drivers and it was good to go (using Windows 10 Pro 2004). Hot-plug works but booting with the enclosure connected doesn't always give positive results:

it boots but there's no output to external monitor;

it boots and the external monitor gets output;

it doesn't boot at all.

I don't know why this happens. Hot plugging does work so it hasn't bothered me that much.

I undervolted the tablet too but I'm not able to get less than -99mV on CPU Cache and CPU Core with Throttlestop (well seems I'm not that lucky).

After repasting with Kryonaut, the TS Bench (Priority: Normal; Threads: 8; Size: 1024M) stabilizes around 18W with 90°C. Which equals to ca. 2700~2800Mhz. After a lot of testing, I'm sure the stock cooling isn't able to dissipate any more heat without letting the processor thermal throttle. I don't know if it's possible to do some mods on the cooling because there's not that much space inside... and even if it was possible, the reason why it stabilizes around 18W is a Power Limit. Changing the Turbo Power limits doesn't work at all, either with Throttlestop nor Intel XTU. Most likely the EC is limiting the whole. There doesn't seem to be a way to get around it, not even using the Disable and Lock Turbo Power limits from Throttlestop.

So far I only tested Call of Duty Modern Warfare (2019) and Warzone. MW Multiplayer runs fine, the processor is able to reach 3000Mhz and sustain them. With Warzone I'm experiencing the same issues as seen on the thread "Unstable fps + fps drops on eGPU while playing games in bootcamp Windows 10 (ex. COD: warzone)".

Overall I'm happy with this setup. These Latitudes are excellent devices imo.

This post was modified 1 year ago

Xiwq liked
ReplyQuote
Xiwq
 Xiwq
(@xiwq)

Thank you for the reply, my post isn't visible because I edited a typo and now it needs moderation.

It's a shame about the throttling, I live in Malta so ambient temps will be high meaning I will definitely have to undervolt or tinker with the settings to have some level of sustain.

I'll put some numbers down and consider everything. These Latitudes are amazing and really underrated, loving the device and that's why I'm looking into the eGPU.

ReplyQuote
 of  2