Notifications
Clear all

Lenovo T480 (non „s“) and Dual [email protected]  

RSS

TheFurious
(@thefurious)

Hi guys,

My company provides me a T480 which I use mainly throughout the day. It’s currently hooked up to a 4K 28“ Samsung, which I use for my PS4 too.

I planned to implement a second 4K monitor which isn’t really easy 🙂

I have tried a Startech TB3 Dock and the Lenovo TB3 dock to get this setup going. Needles to tell you guys that this wasn’t working at all. The T480 even resisted to give anything two the second display on both ports.

I did a little research and came to the conclusion that it’s simply not working with any dock (not even with the Ultradock) because this thing has only two lanes on the TB3 Port.

So i sent back everything. The dock, the monitor and the cables. I played with the idea to go back to an ultrawide but rejected it because a) it’s not working on the PS4 (and probably not on the PS5) and b) I plan to get a MacBook for my private stuff and those guys are not supporting the given resolutions in HiDPI mode.

Now I considered an eGPU solution. But before invest time and money and thought I ask you guys what you think about it. A friend of mine got a HP enclosure with Network and a few USB ports so I could use it as a dock as well.

I want not to play games with that thing. It should just drive a second 4K Monitor @ 60Hz.

Thanks a lot for you support guys!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

"two lanes on the TB3 Port" - I think you mean two PCIe lanes to the Thunderbolt controller (a Thunderbolt port always has two Thunderbolt lanes unless there's a problem with the cable). PCIe lanes has nothing to do with the ability of Thunderbolt to output two displays, since the DisplayPort inputs are separate from the PCIe input.

Maybe the Thunderbolt controller in the T480 only has one DisplayPort connection to the internal GPU? The 8th gen Intel CPU has Intel graphics that only supports 3 displays. The internal display, USB-C port display, and Thunderbolt port display count for three. Perhaps they decided to not include an internal DisplayPort switch. Actually, it also has an HDMI port. That makes 4 connections. There must be a DisplayPort switch between at least two of the ports.

Did you try connecting a 4K 60Hz display to the USB-C port instead of the Thunderbolt port? If that doesn't work, then you can try the HDMI port.

Otherwise an eGPU can do two displays easily and act as a dock.

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
TheFurious
(@thefurious)

@joevt, thanks a lot. Didn’t get a notification that someone replied. 

yeah I’m currently digging into the specs of the notebook and you’re right. It works with one display connected via TB and the other via USB-C (with a PD line for charging) 

but I think I will go back to an Ultrawide Setup 🙂

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote