Share:

Lenovo w540 eGPU Thunderbolt 1 problem  

RSS

zulu672
(@zulu672)
March 15, 2019 7:46 pm  

Hey every one. I am in need of some guidance trying to hook up a GTX 660 ti through a Beast eGPU into my lenovo w540. I have tried updating drivers and software for Thunderbolt 1, booting computer into UEFI only mode to see if the computer detects Nvidia card, and checked for eGPU detection in Thunderbolt Software. I know the computer is communicating with the eGPU because the fans speeds on the GPU are dependent on it being plugged into Thunderbolt, but besides that nothing. Any help would be appreciated.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
Prominent Member Moderator
March 15, 2019 9:07 pm  

The Beast is not a Thunderbolt adapter, I am not sure why you think that something will be detected in the Thunderbolt Software.

What exactly are you connecting to the system? Which cabling are you using with the Beast? Which port(s) on the W540 are you connecting it to?

My eGPU Zoo - Link to my Implementations.
Want to output [email protected] out of an old system on the cheap? Read here.
Give your Node Pro a second Thunderbolt3 controller for reliable peripherals by re-using a TB3 dock (~50$).

"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."- Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love."

ReplyQuote
zulu672
(@zulu672)
March 15, 2019 9:21 pm  

That could be my problem. I originally had it set up through mPCIe with my older computer. I switched to the w540 and was doing research about the best way to get it set up. I read Thunderbolt 1 has better transfer speeds than Express card. I am using a Thunderbolt to HDMI adapter to connect the beast. Is this my issue? I have ordered an Expresscard cable, but would like to try to use the better speeds of thunderbolt.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
Prominent Member Moderator
March 15, 2019 10:53 pm  

What you are doing is impossible to get working. You are connecting a native PCIe signal to a Thunderbolt port over a cable that connects wires for two entirely different protocols (DP and HDMI). Not only that, but it is potentially dangerous to your hardware since you're connecting together two things that really should not be connected.

Get the Expresscard cable, or consider getting a Thunderbolt enclosure, but stop trying to do what you're currently doing.

My eGPU Zoo - Link to my Implementations.
Want to output [email protected] out of an old system on the cheap? Read here.
Give your Node Pro a second Thunderbolt3 controller for reliable peripherals by re-using a TB3 dock (~50$).

"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."- Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love."

ReplyQuote
zulu672
(@zulu672)
March 16, 2019 12:04 am  
Awesome, thanks. I see my mistake now.

ReplyQuote