Lenovo Yoga C930, Razer Core X & AMD RX580 BSOD/Freezes

Notifications
Clear all

Lenovo Yoga C930, Razer Core X & AMD RX580 BSOD/Freezes  

RSS

Cathal O'Shea
(@cathal_oshea)

I recently bought a Razer Core X with AMD RX580 for my Lenovo Yoga C930

winver: Windows 10 Version 1909 (OS Build 18363.720)

Thunderbolt 3 Drivers: Thunderbolt Controller -15D2. Version: 1.41.769.0 (latest on Intel)

Thunderbolt Control Centre: Version 1.0.20.0 (Windows Store)

1st Night:

Plugged in Razer Core X (RX580 installed), device was recognized and after allowing it to connect to laptop via Thunderbolt Control Centre, Windows installed RX580 drivers from Windows Update. All worked as expected, I was thrilled and I played Black Mesa! After playing I ejected the eGPU via the xConnect tray icon and closed laptop lid.

2nd Night:

Reconnected the Razer Core X, windows froze and locked up resulting in needing to hard reset the system. On reboot the system would not boot if the Core X was connected. If I disconnected the Core X the system would boot but would either freeze or BSOD with the error "THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER".

After googling a lot I found out about the the application DDU and completely uninstalled the AMD driver, restarted the system and reconnected the Core X. Windows again reinstalled the AMD drivers and I was able to play some more Black Mesa. I again ejected the GPU via xConnect and closed the laptop lid

3rd Night (tonight):

Like last night, whenever I connect the Core X I get either a system freeze or a BSOD as prev. I again tried using DDU to uninstall the AMD drivers and reboot like prev but tonight when I reconnect the Core X windows still freezes or BSODs. It never manages to reinstall the AMD drivers without a system crash.

I would really appreciate any help at all in sorting this issue out and will gladly provide any info at all that may help fix this issue.

Thanks a million

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Topic Tags
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Honorable Member

@cathal_oshea

Try starting up the C930 without the Core X connected.

Then go directly to the RX580 card manufacturer’s website and download and install your card’s driver.

Shut down.

Connect the Core X.

Start up the C930.

Also, just general info for anyone reading - some non-standard TB3 cables will cause freezing or crashing. 

2018 Mac Mini i5 / 6-core 3.0-4.1 Ghz / 32GB / 256GB / Intel UHD 630 / PowerColor Gaming Station / PowerColor dual-fan RX 5700 XT / Mac OS 10.15.6 Catalina / Windows 2004 😏 / Dual LG 27" 4K displays

ReplyQuote
Cathal O'Shea
(@cathal_oshea)

I removed AMD Drivers again in SafeMode with DDU and enabled the option to "Prevent downloads from windows update".

I also ran Disk Cleanup to remove all save windows update files and drivers

When I connect the Core X, Windows Update does not try and install drivers so no initial crash but when I go to install the latest AMD drivers for the RX580 the install causes a BSOD before it can finish.

I have used BlueScreenView to try and debug the issue and below is the error it shows:

atikmdag.sys	atikmdag.sys+11154f	fffff804`2df60000	fffff804`31e46000	0x03ee6000	0x5e59a32b	28/02/2020 23:32:59						
dxgkrnl.sys	dxgkrnl.sys+41085	fffff804`22900000	fffff804`22c73000	0x00373000	0xb9cc3996	11/10/2068 08:17:26	Microsoft® Windows® Operating System	DirectX Graphics Kernel	10.0.18362.719 (WinBuild.160101.0800)	Microsoft Corporation	C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\dxgkrnl.sys	

Note: I am using the original cable supplied with the Core X

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Honorable Member

@cathal_oshea

Windows 1809 works great with my Windows bootcamp eGPU setup. Plug and Play easy from the start. No driver installation problems.

Other members here report similar easy initial set-ups using Windows 1903 build 18362.295.

The rumor is Microsoft’s spring Windows update will restore some of that former ease of setting up an eGPU, which is so sadly missing from the current 1909 version.

2018 Mac Mini i5 / 6-core 3.0-4.1 Ghz / 32GB / 256GB / Intel UHD 630 / PowerColor Gaming Station / PowerColor dual-fan RX 5700 XT / Mac OS 10.15.6 Catalina / Windows 2004 😏 / Dual LG 27" 4K displays

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Honorable Member

This just in - one more thing to try:

https://egpu.io/forums/pc-setup/egpu-fail-after-update-to-windows-19-03/paged/15/#post-75428

ReplyQuote
Cathal O'Shea
(@cathal_oshea)

Update:

I have spent the last day trying to troubleshoot and I have gotten some improvements:

I noticed that with 1 Thunderbolt port I was getting BSODs as described above and with the other port I was getting a Code 12 Error so on advice from the forum I downgraded my windows installation to 1903 V1 by installing over my previous install using a 1903 V1 .iso.

I disabled all windows updates and I again uninstalled all AMD drivers with DDU in SafeMode.

My card is an Aorus RX580 8G and the latest drives on their page here are v17.8.1. When I connected my Core X I installed these older AMD drivers.

My laptop froze (but no BSOD). I restarted the laptop and the Core X was recognised and I could play my games successfully!

My problem is now that it is less than a  50:50 chance (only about 1 in 4) that my Core X will work when I plug it in to the laptop, it now normally causes the laptop to freeze or take a REALLY long time before it becomes responsive again.

Can anyone recommend a known working version of the the AMD Drivers that might offer some improvement for this card as an eGPU?

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Honorable Member

@cathal_oshea

In the Thunderbolt Control Center version running on your C930, are you able to set Thunderbolt Approval to Automatically Connect Thunderbolt devices?

Are you using this TB driver?

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds505012

ReplyQuote
Cathal O'Shea
(@cathal_oshea)

On advice I read here in the forums I had previously uninstalled the stock Thunderbolt driver from Lenovo (Driver Version 17.4.76.9, with non Windows Store App) and installed the latest Intel DCH Thunderbolt driver from here: 

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28735/Thunderbolt-3-DCH-Driver-for-Windows-10-for-Intel-NUC

After seeing your post, I uninstalled the newest Intel Drivers and returned to the Manufactured provided ones, again I removed AMD Drivers with DDU in SafeMode and things are worse than previous. When reconnecting the Core X, my system has returned to BSODs: "THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER" and my system will not boot if Core X left connected.

Any further help/advice really appreciated! I am now gonna go back to the latest Intel Drivers and hope that it works at least once in the next hour!

ReplyQuote
Cathal O'Shea
(@cathal_oshea)

Further update: This is getting difficult to understand!

Updated to the following build on advise of the forum:

winver.exe : Version 1903 (OS Build 18362.295)

Drivers back to same as yesterday when things were at least working some if the time:

Thunderbolt Drivers: Thunderbolt Controller -15D2. Version: 1.41.769.0 (latest on Intel)

Thunderbolt Control Centre: Version 1.0.20.0 (Windows Store)

AMD Drivers (I have tried both of the following)

win10-radeon-software-adrenalin-2020-edition-20.2.2-mar5.exe (latest on AMD website)

Radeon-Software-Crimson-ReLive-17.8.1-Win10-64Bit-Aug18 (latest on Aorus website)

I am now getting non-stop BSODs "THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER" when connecting the Core X

Laptop will not boot when Core X connected.

Getting seriously annoyed by this now!

I just wanna be able to sit down and game for a while without hours of randomly trying things before getting to play!

Any advised as always much appreciated

ReplyQuote