Setup & Software Discussions
Mac mini 2018 EGPU under bootcamp - Error 12

Mac mini 2018 EGPU under bootcamp - Error 12  

RSS

Crofs
(@crofs)

Hi guys.

I'm new in here, and thought i'd share my experience with the new Mac mini 2018 - Egpu setup. 
I'm running Mac mini 2018  Core  i5 with 8 GB ram and 256 GB SSD, a  Razer Core X  and AMD Radeon RX Vega 64 (Asus Rog Strix edition). Everything is running perfectly under MacOS.

I've read in here that the Windows 10 pro build 17134.1. should work without mods, though i cannot confirm this to be the case for me. I get the error 12, when connecting my Egpu to every single thunderbolt 3 port. It does recognize the Vega 64 but it still gives me error 12.. I hot-plug it when windows logo comes on, and windows recognizes the perriphral just fine. i'm also able to install AMD graphics drivers just fine.

I've read quite a few posts regarding ways to free up resources, but to be honest, i'm scared that i brick my new mac mini. Also, it appears that the current workarounds for error 12 is with macbook pros in mind, so i'm not really sure this applies to the mac mini as well as it doesn't have a dedicated graphics card.

Is there any way to do this without scary scripts?

I read that disabling some PCIe root ports under device management would be beneficial to the error 12?
Can someone point me in the right direction?

Kind regards Chris

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

bluetech liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

The easiest approach with the 2018 Mac mini is to not hot plug the eGPU but rather have it connected prior to booting. When you hot plug an AMD eGPU in Windows Desktop, the eGPU has to compete with other PCI components that already got allocation. The likely outcome is error 12 for the eGPU.

If you already installed Radeon drivers for your RX Vega 64 eGPU, simply shut the Mac mini down and make sure the eGPU is connected. Proceed to connect the monitor to one of the outputs from the RX Vega 64 eGPU. Finally boot the system up and wait for it to load Windows. You won’t see anything on the monitor until the Login screen/Desktop.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

bluetech liked
ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

This EFI boot loader is the only thing that got me past error 12 with my MacBook, would assume it works for Mac minis too... it doesn't mess with anything inside the Mini either so super safe.

Link to EFI Bootloader

Whats your use case for your Mini and how are you finding it?

Side note: It's getting increasingly hard to navigate this site and I have to google/history search to find things at times - maybe its just me?

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

jangoloti liked
ReplyQuote
Crofs
(@crofs)

It works!! thank you so much @itsage !! I connected the Razer Core X to the left most connector - the one beside the ethernet port, and rebooted into windows, and it just woke up the screen! No need for anything! i will have a go at testing everything out now. I'll post my findings here.

Thank you so much !!

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Crofs
(@crofs)

I should add, after some testing, rebooting into MacOS works every time, with the EGPU connected -> rebooting from MacOS to Windows appears to be somewhat of a roll with the dices.. It works some times, not every time. I still haven't figured out why.

Also, adding a new perripheral is sometimes causing it to crash windows - this is a External SSD through thunderbolt 3. Booting into MacOS with the extra thunderbolt 3 device seems to be okay every time.

I should note that i've just tested Overwatch -> running 4k res, ultra settings, smooth as h***.. 😀

Kind regards Chris

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@crofs I’m glad to hear it’s working. Adding peripherals to the mix can be a headache. In this Mac mini, the two left TB3 ports connect to one TB3 controller, and the two right TB3 ports connect to the other. Try connecting your external SSD to the other controller and see whether that helps.

bluetech liked
ReplyQuote
Crofs
(@crofs)

Yeah i get that. I connected my external ssd to the left most port (the one beside the ethernet port) whilst having my egpu set to the right most port (beside hdmi) and it did nothing to the ssd. Then i connected it one slot to the right, so number two from the ethernet port, and then it started working. I haven't tried rebooting just yet, as i want to run more tests instead of spending time, getting it to boot.

It's an good point with the controllers, that might have to do with it not freezing now - that i've used ports from different controllers.
Thanks for the heads up @itsage !

Kind regards Chris

ReplyQuote
jimmcq
(@jimmcq)

Any update on this? Have you gotten Boot Camp working reliably?

ReplyQuote
 Hugo
(@hugo)

@jimmcq The bootcamp is working perfect and clean on my mac mini 2018. I had to install the windows 10 from April then update when I've finished the installation process.

ReplyQuote
thevoiceover
(@thevoiceover)

Posted by: Crofs

"I should add, after some testing, rebooting into MacOS works every time, with the EGPU connected -> rebooting from MacOS to Windows appears to be somewhat of a roll with the dices.. It works some times, not every time. I still haven't figured out why.

Also, adding a new perripheral is sometimes causing it to crash windows - this is a External SSD through thunderbolt 3. Booting into MacOS with the extra thunderbolt 3 device seems to be okay every time."

I too had this working (every now and then) but am currently at a point where I can't get Windows to boot my EGPU @ all. I have the same setup as you, other than an i7 and had played a few games for a couple of days via Windows and smooth sailing..   I decided to boot back into OSX and after I went to my normal - reboot into windows and after shutdown/restart I unplugged my HDMI from the Mac Mini and plugged it into the EGPU.  It never booted (after 10 minute wait) so I restarted back into Mac via option key and then tried restarting Windows via startup and repeated the same steps of plugging in the HDMI to my Vega64 EGPU after it restarted...     For the life of me, I can't get Windows booting again from the EGPU..    

Is there any EFI solution for Mac Mini 2018 (I'm assuming its T2 preventing this?) or another idea of what to test to get this running smoothly?   I would love to teach my 8 year old an easy way to boot this as I bought this computer for the kids, but the games they want to play are mostly in Windows and having no luck coming up with a simplistic solution.

Mac Mini 2018 i7 / 256GB SDD / 8GB Mem / Razor Core X eGPU with Sapphire Vega64

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

ReplyQuote
thevoiceover
(@thevoiceover)

@Eightarmedpet Well I was determined to stay up last evening until I could at least come up with a solution as I never found really anything solid. I learned AMD cards tend to take more resources in Windows and I would have to do a ton of Device Manager hacking in Windows to get it going.  I just wanted to test all of this last and use the knowledge I gathered ( mainly from @itsage ) starting at what I felt would be the easiest stage first.   Being somewhat new to the Mac, it took me some research understanding how Bootcamp worked with Windows and learning some of its new Security features T2 offer and the ways around them.    Once I realized I could disable some security that comes default for boot (specifically no security and allow boot from USB) I then wanted to test the apple_set_os.efi as this to me seemed like the easiest solution.   I added the EFI to a USB, made sure my Mac was set to boot Windows next,  and then after I selected the new option for EFI at boot (by holding down the option key at boot) I directly unplugged my HDMI from the Mac Mini and plugged it into my EGPU.    It actually booted and the Device Manager was 100% clean in Windows (well no yellow ! or other errors) and it seemed to be running as smooth as ever.     

I did BTW use the TB3 port closest to the HDMI and have not used the one next to that as I do not want to run into conflicts as I read this is possible.   I also plugged in a USB3 hub into a USB  port to handle my USB key and mouse. Last but not least, I am using the TB3 port closest to the Ethernet for my external ssd.

I followed this booting clean by repetitive reboots (I tried ten times) by just rebooting and never connecting my EGPU and it always worked in Windows, I then booted into Mac and tried the same thing listed before with the EFI and it booted back into Windows clean again.    This seems to be the best solution I have tried yet and if it continues running fine over the next few weeks, I am going to partition my Mac internal ssd with the added EFI partition so I do not have to keep the USB key in every time I want to run Windows.

Mac Mini 2018 i7 / 256GB SDD / 8GB Mem / Razor Core X eGPU with Sapphire Vega64

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
VertigoXRP
(@vertigoxrp)

Posted by: itsage

The easiest approach with the 2018 Mac mini is to not hot plug the eGPU but rather have it connected prior to booting. When you hot plug an AMD eGPU in Windows Desktop, the eGPU has to compete with other PCI components that already got allocation. The likely outcome is error 12 for the eGPU.

If you already installed Radeon drivers for your RX Vega 64 eGPU, simply shut the Mac mini down and make sure the eGPU is connected. Proceed to connect the monitor to one of the outputs from the RX Vega 64 eGPU. Finally boot the system up and wait for it to load Windows. You won't see anything on the monitor until the Login screen/Desktop.

@itsage @Crofs I have the exact same setup as the OP (except its a 32GB ram and i7 mac mini 2018). I was able to setup bootcamp and windows 10, install the drivers required so device manager recognises the Vega 64 just like above. However it has a yellow indicator, investigating the properties displays the code 12 issue. (I am also using the tb closest to the hdmi port so it lists on top of the pci slots). 

When I boot with the eGPU (razor core x) on I see my keyboard and mice lit. However the screen stays black and my eGPU's fans come to halt. If I then connect the HDMI port of the mini to my screen directly I hear a sound but nothing happens.

Any clues why my setup behaves differently would be greatly appreciated. I would love to refrain from boot hacks because the OP got it working so I suppose so should I...

screenshot: device manager (I only get this far if I hot plug the eGPU after the windows logo has appeared and this leads to code 12)

This post was modified 9 months ago

Mac Mini 2018 i7 32GB DDR4 Razer Core X Sapphire Nitro+ AMD Vega 64 bootcamp win 10 & mojave

ReplyQuote
coldy24
(@coldy24)

I'm having similar issues. I have a Vega 64 and all the installations seem to go ok. But I get an error when it's trying to look at my 'Video Controller'. Apple/AMD doesn't seem to have Mac Mini compatibility yet? https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/apple-boot-camp

ReplyQuote
swellerd
(@swellerd)

Same setup here. Everything works fine except sometimes booting from windows to mac os gives me a black screen and I have to restart the mini. Getting it to work was a bit tricky but thanks @itsage pointed in the right direction.

Good thing: it does work more or less out of the box without any tools and unplugging/replugging cables (with a monitor that has 2x display port and a core x on/off switch).

Things that helped: After error 12 in windows boot to mac os. Then don't boot to windows with holding options key but in mac os go to settings/startup disk bootcamp and restart with egpu on.

In case you get a black screen with windows noises and maybe mouse cursor - it's a black win. login screen. Press enter and put in your password. For me the display was extended over 2 screens with only one working. Had to drag the display settings to the working screen and adjust settings. But I only had to do that once and booting to windows works every time now.

But booting from win. to mac os gives me troubles sometimes, maybe turning off the egpu is needed as I don't want to disable file vault.

This post was modified 7 months ago

ReplyQuote
tkw722
(@tkw722)

Hi All,

I’m in the pit of despair right now. Same set up as the OP although with the i7 and 32GB of RAM. First time I installed Windows in Bootcamp I was able to get the eGPU working perfectly. I had to do the cold boot with the eGPU connected in order for it to work, but it worked fine. I’ve since reinstalled windows for other reasons and now it’s nothing but sadness. I can’t successfully boot whatsoever with the eGPU. If I boot via USB-C off the iGPU, I confirm I have a code 12 error. When I try to boot with the eGPU, it just loops attempting to boot. Is the EFI boot loader via USB still necessary these days? Or should I expect to be able to get this to work vanilla?

Sadly,
Tim

ReplyQuote
(@ryan_deaver)

@tkw722 You are having the exact same problem/system I am having. When I installed a genuine copy of Windows 10 via bootcamp, I had ZERO issues booting into Windows through my Razer Core X- Vega 64 card. As weeks went by, little by little it has booted less into Windows with the eGPU attached and looped into the error 12, attempting to boot phase over and over. Now, after about 30 + attempts to get my eGPU to work in Windows, it fails every time. I've spent countless hours trying to narrow down the problem. I've unplugged EVERY device from my 2018 Mac Mini, save the single eGPU thunderbolt 3 port, and still get nothing. I have tried disabling the iGPU from windows, nothing. Fresh install didn't help either. Using the EFI boot loader as suggested by @Eightarmedpet hasn't worked either. Very frustrated and out of ideas. The only thing I can think of is (I have both MacOS and Windows completely up-to-date) is a windows update has halted eGPU usage. If anyone has insight or workaround suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated.

Pending: Core i7 2018 Mac Mini Vega 64 via Razer Core X

ReplyQuote
tkw722
(@tkw722)

I feel your pain! I do think there might be some dim light at the end of the tunnel though. I’ve finally had some luck after crawling a bunch of the phenomenal guides on the site here, I came across the step to turn off the OS and boot security enforced by the T2 chip. Once I did that, I’ve had... more success in booting into Windows with the eGPU. It’s not every time, but it’s much more than it was before. So, boot your Mac with COMMAND+R to enter recovery mode. Then go to Tools (I think, I don’t have it in front of me right now) and you want the Startup Security tool. Then in there, you want to turn off the T2 security by setting it to none and you want to turn on the ability to boot from external media. Once done, close the tool and reboot. Right after that boot I started to have some success!

ReplyQuote
i0ntempest
(@i0ntempest)
Trusted Member

To everyone having E12 issue on mini 2018 - The key seems to be 'blind booting': you can't have a monitor plugged into the mini's HDMI port when booting Windows, as this will cause E12. At least my setup have not had a single problem after itsage told me this.

Setup 1: Apple iMac 2017 21.5” 4K + eGPU
dGPU: AMD Radeon Pro 560
eGPU: ASUS Strix AMD Radeon Vega 56 via Thunderbolt 3 (AKiTiO Node)
OS: macOS Mojave 10.14.6, Windows 10 1809, Kali Linux 2019.2
Setup 2: Apple Mac mini 2018 + eGPU
iGPU: Intel UHD Graphics 630
eGPU: AMD Radeon RX 570 MXM via Thunderbolt 3 (Sonnet Breakaway Puck)

ReplyQuote
Squuiid
(@squuiid)

Got a question... Is E12 still an issue with Windows 10 1903 and if so does it impact both AMD and NVIDIA GPUs, or just AMD when using a Mac mini 2018 as described here?

Mac mini 2018, i7 3.2GHz 6c, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 10GbE, Sonnet eGFX + NVIDIA GTX 1080FE, macOS Catalina
Mac Pro 2010, X5690 3.46GHz 6c, 64GB RAM, Amfeltec 3x XP941 512GB, Sapphire Pulse RX 580 8GB, Intel X540-T1 10GbE, Allegro Pro USB 3.0, AC/BT 4.2, macOS Mojave

ReplyQuote
(@ryan_deaver)

I've unfortunately have turned off my T2 security chip entirely already, with the option to boot to external media for a while now. @i0ntempest, I don't have a monitor plugged into my HDMI, just the Thunderbolt 3 connector to my Razer Core X, which plugs into my monitor via DisplayPort. I have tried every port and connection type on my Vega 64 card with no luck either. 50+ boots and no go with windows via eGPU at this point.

Pending: Core i7 2018 Mac Mini Vega 64 via Razer Core X

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

The most reliable way to use an AMD eGPU in Boot Camp is through either apple_set_os.efi or automate-eGPU EFI. If the eGPU starts acting up with different errors, it’s best to run DDU and remove the Radeon graphics drivers. Boot back into Windows through the EFI and install latest Radeon drivers.

ReplyQuote
Ningauble77
(@ningauble77)
Estimable Member

Not sure if this has anything to do with this issue, but have you tried resetting the SMC?  Back when I was using an RTX 2080 with my MB Pro 13 2018, I  would on occasion leave it plugged in while booting, which is similar to what the mac mini is doing.  After one of the earlier Mojave updates, and presumably the bootrom update which came with it, it stopped being able to fully boot this way, unless I set SecureBoot to disabled and external usb boot to enabled.  I prefer having as much security as possible so I eventually switched these settings back.  At some point later I had to reset SMC for an unrelated issue, and after doing so, booting with the egpu attached in bootcamp started working again.

2018 13 Macbook Pro + Core v2 + Radeon VII Win10 1903/MacOS 10.14.6
ASUS X99 Deluxe+Core v2 + Radeon VII Win10 1809

ReplyQuote