Mac mini 2018 EGPU under bootcamp - Error 12  

RSS

Crofs
(@crofs)
November 16, 2018 1:59 pm  

Hi guys.

I'm new in here, and thought i'd share my experience with the new Mac mini 2018 - Egpu setup. 
I'm running Mac mini 2018 Core i5 with 8 GB ram and 256 GB SSD, a Razer Core X and AMD Radeon RX Vega 64 (Asus Rog Strix edition). Everything is running perfectly under MacOS.

I've read in here that the Windows 10 pro build 17134.1. should work without mods, though i cannot confirm this to be the case for me. I get the error 12, when connecting my Egpu to every single thunderbolt 3 port. It does recognize the Vega 64 but it still gives me error 12.. I hot-plug it when windows logo comes on, and windows recognizes the perriphral just fine. i'm also able to install AMD graphics drivers just fine.

I've read quite a few posts regarding ways to free up resources, but to be honest, i'm scared that i brick my new mac mini. Also, it appears that the current workarounds for error 12 is with macbook pros in mind, so i'm not really sure this applies to the mac mini as well as it doesn't have a dedicated graphics card.

Is there any way to do this without scary scripts?

I read that disabling some PCIe root ports under device management would be beneficial to the error 12?
Can someone point me in the right direction?

Kind regards Chris

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

bluetech liked
ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
November 16, 2018 2:29 pm  

The easiest approach with the 2018 Mac mini is to not hot plug the eGPU but rather have it connected prior to booting. When you hot plug an AMD eGPU in Windows Desktop, the eGPU has to compete with other PCI components that already got allocation. The likely outcome is error 12 for the eGPU.

If you already installed Radeon drivers for your RX Vega 64 eGPU, simply shut the Mac mini down and make sure the eGPU is connected. Proceed to connect the monitor to one of the outputs from the RX Vega 64 eGPU. Finally boot the system up and wait for it to load Windows. You won't see anything on the monitor until the Login screen/Desktop.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

86 external GPU build guides

bluetech liked
ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member
November 16, 2018 2:34 pm  

This EFI boot loader is the only thing that got me past error 12 with my MacBook, would assume it works for Mac minis too... it doesn't mess with anything inside the Mini either so super safe.

Link to EFI Bootloader

Whats your use case for your Mini and how are you finding it?

Side note: It's getting increasingly hard to navigate this site and I have to google/history search to find things at times - maybe its just me?

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touchbar + [email protected] (AKiTiO Thunder3) + Win10
2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + [email protected] (Sonnet Breakaway Box) + Win10

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + GTX1070 (debating 2070 upgrade) @32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core V1) + Win10

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + Vega 56 @32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core V1) + Win10 & macOS 10.14+

---
LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

jangoloti liked
ReplyQuote
Crofs
(@crofs)
November 16, 2018 2:43 pm  

It works!! thank you so much @theitsage !! I connected the Razer Core X to the left most connector - the one beside the ethernet port, and rebooted into windows, and it just woke up the screen! No need for anything! i will have a go at testing everything out now. I'll post my findings here.

Thank you so much !!

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

bluetech and jangoloti liked
ReplyQuote
Crofs
(@crofs)
November 16, 2018 4:11 pm  

I should add, after some testing, rebooting into MacOS works every time, with the EGPU connected -> rebooting from MacOS to Windows appears to be somewhat of a roll with the dices.. It works some times, not every time. I still haven't figured out why.

Also, adding a new perripheral is sometimes causing it to crash windows - this is a External SSD through thunderbolt 3. Booting into MacOS with the extra thunderbolt 3 device seems to be okay every time.

I should note that i've just tested Overwatch -> running 4k res, ultra settings, smooth as h***.. 😀

Kind regards Chris

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
November 16, 2018 4:32 pm  

@crofs I'm glad to hear it's working. Adding peripherals to the mix can be a headache. In this Mac mini, the two left TB3 ports connect to one TB3 controller, and the two right TB3 ports connect to the other. Try connecting your external SSD to the other controller and see whether that helps.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

86 external GPU build guides

bluetech liked
ReplyQuote
Crofs
(@crofs)
November 16, 2018 5:00 pm  

Yeah i get that. I connected my external ssd to the left most port (the one beside the ethernet port) whilst having my egpu set to the right most port (beside hdmi) and it did nothing to the ssd. Then i connected it one slot to the right, so number two from the ethernet port, and then it started working. I haven't tried rebooting just yet, as i want to run more tests instead of spending time, getting it to boot.

It's an good point with the controllers, that might have to do with it not freezing now - that i've used ports from different controllers.
Thanks for the heads up @theitsage !

Kind regards Chris

ReplyQuote
jimmcq
(@jimmcq)
December 3, 2018 5:00 am  

Any update on this? Have you gotten Boot Camp working reliably?

ReplyQuote
 Hugo
(@hugo)
December 6, 2018 3:45 pm  

@jimmcq The bootcamp is working perfect and clean on my mac mini 2018. I had to install the windows 10 from April then update when I've finished the installation process.

ReplyQuote
thevoiceover
(@thevoiceover)
December 8, 2018 3:14 am  
Posted by: Crofs

"I should add, after some testing, rebooting into MacOS works every time, with the EGPU connected -> rebooting from MacOS to Windows appears to be somewhat of a roll with the dices.. It works some times, not every time. I still haven't figured out why.

Also, adding a new perripheral is sometimes causing it to crash windows - this is a External SSD through thunderbolt 3. Booting into MacOS with the extra thunderbolt 3 device seems to be okay every time."

I too had this working (every now and then) but am currently at a point where I can't get Windows to boot my EGPU @ all. I have the same setup as you, other than an i7 and had played a few games for a couple of days via Windows and smooth sailing..   I decided to boot back into OSX and after I went to my normal - reboot into windows and after shutdown/restart I unplugged my HDMI from the Mac Mini and plugged it into the EGPU.  It never booted (after 10 minute wait) so I restarted back into Mac via option key and then tried restarting Windows via startup and repeated the same steps of plugging in the HDMI to my Vega64 EGPU after it restarted...     For the life of me, I can't get Windows booting again from the EGPU..    

Is there any EFI solution for Mac Mini 2018 (I'm assuming its T2 preventing this?) or another idea of what to test to get this running smoothly?   I would love to teach my 8 year old an easy way to boot this as I bought this computer for the kids, but the games they want to play are mostly in Windows and having no luck coming up with a simplistic solution.

Mac Mini 2018 i7 / 256GB SDD / 8GB Mem / Razor Core X eGPU with Sapphire Vega64

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

ReplyQuote
thevoiceover
(@thevoiceover)
December 8, 2018 7:46 pm  

@Eightarmedpet Well I was determined to stay up last evening until I could at least come up with a solution as I never found really anything solid. I learned AMD cards tend to take more resources in Windows and I would have to do a ton of Device Manager hacking in Windows to get it going.  I just wanted to test all of this last and use the knowledge I gathered ( mainly from @itsage ) starting at what I felt would be the easiest stage first.   Being somewhat new to the Mac, it took me some research understanding how Bootcamp worked with Windows and learning some of its new Security features T2 offer and the ways around them.    Once I realized I could disable some security that comes default for boot (specifically no security and allow boot from USB) I then wanted to test the apple_set_os.efi as this to me seemed like the easiest solution.   I added the EFI to a USB, made sure my Mac was set to boot Windows next,  and then after I selected the new option for EFI at boot (by holding down the option key at boot) I directly unplugged my HDMI from the Mac Mini and plugged it into my EGPU.    It actually booted and the Device Manager was 100% clean in Windows (well no yellow ! or other errors) and it seemed to be running as smooth as ever.     

I did BTW use the TB3 port closest to the HDMI and have not used the one next to that as I do not want to run into conflicts as I read this is possible.   I also plugged in a USB3 hub into a USB  port to handle my USB key and mouse. Last but not least, I am using the TB3 port closest to the Ethernet for my external ssd.

I followed this booting clean by repetitive reboots (I tried ten times) by just rebooting and never connecting my EGPU and it always worked in Windows, I then booted into Mac and tried the same thing listed before with the EFI and it booted back into Windows clean again.    This seems to be the best solution I have tried yet and if it continues running fine over the next few weeks, I am going to partition my Mac internal ssd with the added EFI partition so I do not have to keep the USB key in every time I want to run Windows.

Mac Mini 2018 i7 / 256GB SDD / 8GB Mem / Razor Core X eGPU with Sapphire Vega64

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote