MacBook Pro 15 2018 + Bootcamp + eGPU - has anybody got the internal Display working with Windows ?  

RSS

mirog
(@mirog)
October 14, 2018 4:18 pm  

Hi
I looked in many different posts but it is not clear for me if anybody got the internal Display of the MacBook Pro 15 2018 working with the iGPU ? 

So - generally i can run without any special efi / scripts my external eGPU (Aorus GTX 1080 Gaming Box) without any problems  (i can leave it plugged in all the time) with an external monitor. I don't have any problems, that I have to unplug the eGPU when rebooting to bootcamp.

My problem is, that sometimes i need to use only the internal display of the Macbook Pro.

Therefore I followed the guides in this forum

1. run integrated.bat in Windows Bootcamp as administrator to activate iGPU
2. restart
3. boot from USB Stick with apple_set_os.efi   (I use the https://egpu.io/wp-content/uploads/wpforo/attachments/4/369-applesetosefi.zip  
4. plug in the eGPU as soon as the Windows boot symbol appears
5. the internal monitor gets white dots and is flickering - then stays black
6. the external monitor activates and the external monitor display is driven bei the eGPU.
7. in the device manager the iGPU, eGPU is active - the dGPU has a yellow mark and is not working. Therefore i also disabled The TB 16x lane in device manager, so the dGPU disappears in device manager. 
8. installed newest intel drivers for iGPU 630
Remark: i tried all the steps also without attaching an eGPU - just want to get Windows login on my internal display - but the the screen also stays black - like on step 5.

But still no possibility to get any picture on my internal notebook monitor. I would expect, that with or without an attached eGPU, deactivated dGPU and the process above I should get Windows running with igpu at least. But I never get the Windows loginscreen on internal monitor - only on external monitor. In Windows i can select in graphics settings, that programs can run on GTX 1080 or Intel 630 - but it doesnt help me, since i can't swisch the destop to the internal monitor.

So the question is - has anybody with an MacBook Pro 15 got the internal display working with the iGPU and Bootcamp, where the Windows login appears on the internal monitor ? It doesn't matter a the moment, if this works also with egpu - my fist step would be to get the iGPU working alone on the internal display first.

Thanks
Mirog

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
October 15, 2018 1:57 pm  

I have not seen any reports of successful internal display working with Intel iGPU. Similar to your experience, I faced the white circle dots then black internal display when forced the iGPU to power laptop's monitor. The only instance when I could enable internal monitor eGPU acceleration on the 2018 15" MacBook Pro was through hot-plug in Windows. This mode has no active Intel iGPU, only Radeon Pro dGPU working with Nvidia eGPU.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

82 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
mirog
(@mirog)
October 16, 2018 5:09 pm  

Hi 
I managed to get the internal display working now on MacbookPro 15 2018.

1. Boot to Mac OS X without any attached USB-C peripherals
2. Download and run https://github.com/steveschow/gfxCardStatus/releases/download/v2.4.4i/gfxCardStatus.app.zip
3. Switch to "Integrated Only" over the menu app and be sure, that "I" is displayed in the menu bar and therefore the integrated display is active only (check, that in the menu "Integrated Only" is now active and "GPU: Intel UHD Graphics 630" is shown)
4. Set "Bootcamp" as start volume and reboot
5. Press the "option" key at boot to select the USB Stick with apple_set_os.efi (from https://egpu.io/wp-content/uploads/wpforo/attachments/4/369-applesetosefi.zip) or use a little partition (8-16 MB) with FAT on internal SSD where the file is copied to \EFI\Boot\bootx64.efi .
6. Select EFI Boot to boot to windows.
7. Now my dGPU is disabled and my iGPU is available and my internal display works !!!

Since I'm not at home this week until thursday evening, I could only check, that the dGPU works now, but couldn't check if this also works, if a eGPU is attached. So next results thursday this week.

Thanks
gkarg

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
esatamacmodular
(@esatamacmodular)
Trusted Member
October 16, 2018 7:18 pm  
Posted by: mirog

Hi 
I managed to get the internal display working now on MacbookPro 15 2018.

1. Boot to Mac OS X without any attached USB-C peripherals
2. Download and run https://github.com/steveschow/gfxCardStatus/releases/download/v2.4.4i/gfxCardStatus.app.zip
3. Switch to "Integrated Only" over the menu app and be sure, that "I" is displayed in the menu bar and therefore the integrated display is active only (check, that in the menu "Integrated Only" is now active and "GPU: Intel UHD Graphics 630" is shown)
4. Set "Bootcamp" as start volume and reboot
5. Press the "option" key at boot to select the USB Stick with apple_set_os.efi (from https://egpu.io/wp-content/uploads/wpforo/attachments/4/369-applesetosefi.zip) or use a little partition (8-16 MB) with FAT on internal SSD where the file is copied to \EFI\Boot\bootx64.efi .
6. Select EFI Boot to boot to windows.
7. Now my dGPU is disabled and my iGPU is available and my internal display works !!!

Since I'm not at home this week until thursday evening, I could only check, that the dGPU works now, but couldn't check if this also works, if a eGPU is attached. So next results thursday this week.

Thanks
gkarg

very nice! looking forward to next update!

iMac 2013 10.9, Macbook Air 2013 10.11, MBP 2016 13" 10.13.6 , HP 4530s 10.11, node lite, DA-2 PSU w/mod, PE4L 2.1b expresscard34, GTX460,1050Ti,1060,1070/Ti RX470,560,580

ReplyQuote
(@greg_thompson)
October 18, 2018 12:40 am  

I kind of got this working in a roundabout method...I am not using the Intel iGPU. I am using the Dgpu with an Radeon RX580. The trick for me was to remove the Dgpu bootcamp driver, and force the internal Dgpu to be a Basic Microsoft Display adapter. This allows the RX580 to work via e-gpu and the internal display to work (albeit without acceleration).

ReplyQuote
mirog
(@mirog)
October 18, 2018 7:12 pm  
Posted by: Greg Thompson

I kind of got this working in a roundabout method...I am not using the Intel iGPU. I am using the Dgpu with an Radeon RX580. The trick for me was to remove the Dgpu bootcamp driver, and force the internal Dgpu to be a Basic Microsoft Display adapter. This allows the RX580 to work via e-gpu and the internal display to work (albeit without acceleration).

Hi
did you get it working by using gfxCardStatus to activate iGPU or how did you activate the iGPU - only with the apple_set_os.efi ? The integrated.bat in windows did not work for me.
I tried now to boot with the eGPU with the method described above, but no luck. If I boot with eGPU attached, the internal monitor stays with a frozen picture of windows logo. Also when booting only with iGPU without eGPU and hot plugging eGPU after windows  boot, the known BSOD appears.
So - no luck until now.
gkarg

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
October 18, 2018 7:26 pm  

When you uninstall graphics drivers for both Radeon dGPU and Intel iGPU, the internal display will remain working with Windows basic display drivers. This does not allow internal display acceleration with an eGPU however.

ReplyQuote
mirog
(@mirog)
October 19, 2018 6:48 pm  

somehow it works on internal display, when i uninstall dGPU driver only. I can even switch monitors and the gpu load is on the eGPU, but i'm not sure if it  is really accelerated.

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
October 19, 2018 7:51 pm  

@mirog Thank you for the details. It looks like Nvidia Optimus is running because it either detected Intel UHD Graphics 630 iGPU or an external monitor was connected. By default the Apple firmware attaches 15" MacBook Pro's internal display to the Radeon dGPU. When no drivers are installed for the dGPU, Windows loads the basic display drivers and internal display stays active. To confirm, did you have an external monitor connected in the configuration above?

ReplyQuote
mirog
(@mirog)
October 19, 2018 8:53 pm  

@theitsage - in the test a external monitor was connected on the display port of the aorus gaming box. I tried it now without a connected monitor - results
1. boot with apple_set_os.efi: internal display works and also the Intel GMA 630 / GTX 1080, like in the screenshot above
2. boot without apple_set_os.efi: internal display works, only the Radeon 560 is available as Microsoft Basic Device and the Geforce GTX 1080. Behavior is the same - gpu workload is on the GTX 1080, when i run a game.

So now both seems to work, also dGPU without monitor, so i don't need to use apple_set_os.efi anymore.

Many thanks to @greg_thomson for this hint.

I only have problems with the screen resolution - fullscreen is not fullscreen, but it least works somehow and can we optimized.

ReplyQuote
mirog
(@mirog)

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Estimable Member
November 4, 2018 9:14 pm  

Yes, I have the interal display running with 2018MPB15 and eGPU. I works perfect and stable and I don't use any patch oder bootloader. Though some questions have not been answered, see:
https://egpu.io/forums/pc-setup/questions-about-2018-macbookpro-15-inch-with-bootcamp-hwinfo-where-is-intel-igpu/

ReplyQuote
mirog
(@mirog)
November 5, 2018 8:50 pm  

Hi OliverB
As I understand in the other threads, it works for you only, because the Radeon 560x drivers have not been installed and the dGPU was running as Basic Display Adapter in Device Manager - correct ? 
We had this solution listened before, but it has drawbacks, because you have then only the possibility to use Games, which are supported by the Windows graphics option to use a different graphics card and you run a unaccelerated Radeon 560x.

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
November 5, 2018 9:57 pm  

There seems to be confusion between internal display working while connecting an eGPU, and internal display acceleration by the eGPU. Here's a summary of different scenarios I tested when using an eGPU with the 2018 15" MacBook Pro.

• Hot-plugging Nvidia eGPU keeps internal display working via AMD dGPU. It's possible to accelerate internal display with Nvidia eGPU via Windows Hybrid graphics.
  • Hot-plugging AMD eGPU causes errors on both AMD dGPU [43] and eGPU [12] but internal display remains working without acceleration. It's not possible to accelerate internal display with AMD eGPU.
  • Connecting Nvidia or AMD eGPU prior to boot disables AMD dGPU and causes black internal display. Hence no internal display to accelerate and the needs for external monitor.
  • Using EFI Boot loader activates Intel iGPU alongside AMD dGPU and keep internal display working. It's possible to accelerate internal display with Nvidia eGPU via Windows Hybrid graphics.
  • Uninstalling AMD dGPU graphics drivers keeps internal display working. It's not possible to accelerate internal display with any eGPU because internal display is using Microsoft basic drivers.
  • Disabling AMD dGPU and/or PCI Express Controller 1901 keeps internal display working. It's not possible to accelerate internal display with any eGPU because internal display is using Microsoft basic drivers.
  • Attaching Intel iGPU to internal display via integrated.bat script causes circle dots on screen and blackout. Hence no internal display to accelerate and the needs for external monitor.

mac_editor liked
ReplyQuote