Setup & Software Discussions
MacBook Pro 15” 2018 i9 R555X bootcamp + Razer Core X Chroma + Titan RTX: Error ...

MacBook Pro 15” 2018 i9 R555X bootcamp + Razer Core X Chroma + Titan RTX: Error 31, and timeout on initial driver install in Device Manager  

RSS

SaberStrat
(@saberstrat)

Greetings forum,

years after stumbling over the eGPU way and reading builds and the buyers’ guide, I finally took the plunge and got myself a decent setup. I really wanted a Titan, so dared sail new waters. I checked the peak power consumption of the card: was within Chroma’s range.

But, despite it being an nVidia, I did end up having an issue right at the start.

1. Started out with a Win10 1809 with a bootcampdrivers.com driver for the dGPU.
I followed the How-To guide in the hopes of accelerating the internal display with the Intel iGPU, but stopped when I just couldn’t install the Intel driver (the auto detection didn’t recognize that I had an Intel iGPU). Used the Restore Point and return to the 1809+bootcampdrivers.com state.

2. Decided to keep powering my internal display with the dGPU, as I’d used to, and instead accelerate specific apps with the eGPU. So I just hotplugged in the eGPU in Windows. After about a minute a pci adapter, as well as a Windows Basic Display Adapter show up. Both with a yellow triangle. The Display one’s description says

This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)

The driver trying to start is not the same as the driver for the POSTed display adapter.

I cannot do anything with it (no update driver, disable or uninstall decice) until I do a reboot. After the reboot, the devices are still labeled the same, however I am now able to update the driver. When I do that, and select to browse for the drivers manually, it automatically suggests Titan RTX drivers. I accept, it then says “Installing driver...” without seemingly doing anything, and after approx. 5 minutes just ends with saying that installing a driver for Titan RTX timed out.
The effectively same happens when I try to install the nVidia drivers with their installer: the progress bar reaches approx. 5% (“Installing graphics driver...”) and then just idles there (taskmanager showing no activity).

3. After updating Win10 to 1903 and DDUing the bootcampdrivers.com and installing the original bootcamp drivers just in case, the result is still the same as above.

So I’m stuck at an Error 31 and the initial Windows driver install after plugging it in timing out.

I’m hesitant to completely wipe my Windows just yet, because I can’t tell if this is a software or a hardware issue. And if the latter, of which component? The MBP, Chroma, or the Titan? It’s not like the card is entirely unrecognized: manually browsing a driver, Windows does immediately see it’s a Titan RTX; and the nVidia installer also proceeds to the actual driver setup, detecting the card. Neither setup methods just end up finishing, and time out. And I haven’t been able to find any other posts of the initial driver setup being stuck for an eGPU setup, or anything helpful on error 31.

What’s a possible cause for this kind of behavior? Is a hardware defect likely? Or is the Titan maybe a bit too much for the Chroma after all?

Many huge thanks in advance.

This topic was modified 2 weeks ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

If you're currently running Win10 1903, make sure to download DCH drivers for your Titan RTX. The standard drivers will cause issues.

It's possible to accelerate the internal display with eGPU in your 2019 15" MacBook Pro. The key is to get the AMD dGPU running alongside Nvidia eGPU. If you already used DDU to remove drivers and installed Bootcampdrivers.com Radeon drivers, the RP555X dGPU should work fine powering internal display. Next step is to hot-plug Titan RTX eGPU in Windows Desktop then run the DCH installer.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
SaberStrat
(@saberstrat)

Thank you for the advice.

Nvidia’s installer actuallyeven told me to use a DHC driver. That one at least threw an error eventually after being stuck during driver installing.

I ended up having to reinstall Windows after trashing it with all the driver installing and Restoring.

It turned out to be partially the Chroma’s fault: to crosscheck, I

• ordered an EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Hybrid (almost same build as jjexpat00’s build), which also didn’t work in the exact same manner on the Chroma (gpu model didn’t appear under Display Adapters, only Microsoft Basic Display Adapter).
  • ordered a Razer Core X, which DID recognize both cards, the Titan RTX and 2080Ti (gpu model did appear under Display Adapters).

So, confirmed that the Chroma was the culprit - maybe a faulty mainboard - and both cards were likely working correctly.

However, the gpus appearing in the Device Manager, and stock drivers getting installed is where the success story ended.
Setup of the driver package from nVidia’s site lead to the installer aborting before setup with a “Another setup is already running...” (there was none that I could see, and wasn’t able to find a process I could kill that might’ve been installing smth).
Rebooting at this point (just like before with the Chroma) lead to Windows getting stuck on “Restarting...” and me having to manually power off. After the following boot, the nVidia drivers did not complain about some other installer running, but got stuck at the same “Installing Graphics driver...” moment, it did with the Chroma.

This was a freshly reinstaller Win10 1903 bootcamp, with only all updates installed and nothing else. And already there I was not able to proceed with the setup any further than with a dated Windows installation or faulty enclosure.

So to me it looks like an issue with my MBP 2018. I already had lots of problems with when it just came out (replacement back then had the sane issues), mostly related to the T2. With the enclosure, gpu and Windows taken out the equation by swapping them out, it’s gotta be the MBP itself. But for it, I don’t want to get another computer for comparison.

Overall it was a rather stressful endeavor. While I expected a few rocks on the road here and there, my build’s issues were extra rare ones. EGPUs are not for the faint of heart.
I’ll be returning eGPUs and enclosures, since I’m still within warrenty. And right now, after all this, I feel more like building a proper gaming and data analysis PC.
But nonetheless, this site was a great resource for trying to find answers. My MBP is just...special. 🙂

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

I believe you were encountering a driver installation conflict. Windows was auto-installing the drivers on it's own and you were manually running another driver installation. I'd recommend using DDU to both remove Nvidia graphics drivers and disable Windows auto-install of new devices (under OPTIONS in DDU).

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote