Setup & Software Discussions
MacBook Pro 2017 internal display is disabled when eGpu is connected

MacBook Pro 2017 internal display is disabled when eGpu is connected  

RSS

archvile
(@archvile)

I noticed that the drivers for the Radeon dGpu on my MBP was out of date, so I updated them. But now when I boot Windows with an eGpu (Aorus 1080), the internal screen of MBP just stays black. When I check Radeon settings, it says "no display connected".

If I boot Windows without eGpu, internal display works just fine.

Any ideas why this might be happening?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

The Mac firmware deactivates the iGPU when there’s a dGPU or eGPU at boot. If you want to keep the iGPU activated for a functional internal display, you can use automate-eGPU EFI, rEFInd, or apple_set_os.efi.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
archvile
(@archvile)

I'm not sure we're on the same page.

I could run the internal display on Radeon Pro 555 (not Intel iGPU), and run external displays connected to the GTX1080 eGPU at the same time. On Windows. After updating the Radeon drivers, I couldn't do this anymore.

I was able to uninstall the drivers, and install the old ones that came with the Boot Camp package, and now I can use the dGPU and eGPU on Windows at the same time again.

I assume this is a driver issue since older drivers just work fine?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Drtung2708
(@drtung2708)

Macbook disables the iGPU (Intel) when boot into Bootcamp, only run dGPU (AMD). When you plug the eGPU (Nivdia) in while boot into Bootcamp, Macbook also disables the dGPU and only uses eGPU. You can run both dGPU and eGPU if you plug the eGPU in after boot into Bootcamp or use this method .

ReplyQuote