Share:

MacBook Pro 2018 with Vega 20, LG 5k black magic eGPU pro?  

Page 3 / 3
  RSS

OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member
January 24, 2019 5:56 pm  

@nuozek, do you have any progress?

Actually I did reproduce the Error 31 you encountered and it's very easily resolved. Just click on Properties -> Driver -> Update Drivers and "Search for Drivers"... Windows will download the appropiate drivers.
So Error 31 is no problem.

Those screenshots illustrate this:

Error31Happened
WhatToDoWithError31
Error31Solved

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

ReplyQuote
wimpzilla
(@wimpzilla)
Reputable Member
January 24, 2019 7:55 pm  

So i did a bit of brainstorm about the wiring situation as suggested by @mac_editor.

When did the ultrafine works in windows?
Simple answer, when you get the TB3 add in card and you feed directly 2*Dp into the controller, as discussed previously.
The AIC get the 2 Dp cables coming from the gpu wired directly to the TB3 controller, windows luckily knows how to manage the controller, problem solved.

So the reason why it is not running in this configuration have something to do with the TB3 controller wiring scheme, one would conclude.
If one check the BM rear I/O there is only 1 Dp (1.4) to achieve 5k instad 2 Dp from a normal gpu, then a 4k HDMI and the TB port.
So i would assume that the gpu is not wired directly to the TB3 controller but get a middleman as we found in the macbook pro.

Result if you can't get the middleman working for you with a driver or in apple words "magic", i suppose it will not be easy to get it works the way you wanted in windows bootcamp.
I don't think apple is so negligent to allow anyone run on easy a related branded apple product.
Checking both the BM eGPU pcb and TB3 controller wiring scheme should give you the answer, i suppose.

This post was modified 3 months ago

2012 13-inch Dell Latitude E6320 + R9 [email protected] (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win10
E=Mc²

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
January 24, 2019 8:04 pm  

@wimpzilla The Blackmagic eGPU/Pro uses Titan Ridge controller which can be fed internally with multiple DisplayPort streams. This internal routing allows the Thunderbolt 3 ports to power the LG UltraFine directly.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

94 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator
January 24, 2019 8:15 pm  

@itsage Additionally, in the worst case I would presume the LG 5K would at least function at 4K resolution (as with a typical Windows TB3 system by default). Here we seem to be at an impasse due to Error 12 with @nuozek 's setup.

purge-wrangler.shpurge-nvda.shset-eGPU.shautomate-eGPU EFI Installer
----
Troubleshooting eGPUs on macOS
Command Line Swiss Knife
eGPU Hardware Chart
----
Multiple Build Guides

ReplyQuote
wimpzilla
(@wimpzilla)
Reputable Member
January 24, 2019 8:24 pm  

Well if one check closely the 5K Dp port traces, it seems come out directly from the gpu.

There are 3 set of coupling caps around the controller:
One set come from the pci-e 4x, one can clearly see the traces.
Then there are 2 other set of coupling caps where we see the traces going into the TB3 controller, that should care the Dp data.

The real question is where these traces go, since disappearing into the pcb layers?
It would not surprise me if these are not directly connected to the gpu like the simple TB3 AIC scheme.

And yes the screen works from a windows laptop TB3 port but only at 4k!
Since almost all windows laptop TB3 controller are wired directly with only a single Dp port to the controller.

Edit:
So what is the difference between the AIC TB3 and Ultrafine working in windows when feed by 2 dp and the BM TB controller that seems to get the same Dp configuration?
Since the AIC does not output and error when plugged to the Ultrafine but the BM does in bootcamp!

E=Mc²

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator
January 24, 2019 9:59 pm  
Posted by: wimpzilla

So what is the difference between the AIC TB3 and Ultrafine working in windows when feed by 2 dp and the BM TB controller that seems to get the same Dp configuration?
Since the AIC does not output and error when plugged to the Ultrafine but the BM does in bootcamp!

Not exactly sure what you are implying in your final statement, but if you're referring to Error 12, then no its not related to the display. Apologies in advance if I have misunderstood.

----
Command Line Swiss Knife
eGPU Hardware Chart
----
Multiple Build Guides

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member
January 24, 2019 10:52 pm  
Posted by: mac_editor

Not exactly sure what you are implying in your final statement, but if you're referring to Error 12, then no its not related to the display. Apologies in advance if I have misunderstood.

You are absolutely right, @mac_editor. Error 12 has nothing to do with the display.
If anyone doesn't believe it, why don't he/she try to boot/hotplug/switchon their eGPU without display on the first hand?
This's alway my first step if I have new setup: (Hot)plug the eGPU without monitor.

-Device Manager
-GPUZ
-AIDA64
-Luxmark and Geekbench

everything must work. It's not related to any display. If Error 12 appears, none is of those working.

Actually I am afraid, that because the OP is not able to get his system running at all (non-5k related), people may think that 5k doesn't work with windows/BlackMagic etc. This is nonsense. We cannot derive anything here until the OP has shown, that he can run the Blackmagic without display.

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member
January 24, 2019 10:58 pm  

This all is actually very dangerous and I am warning all:

This is not a valid test of a 5k/TB3 Display with Bootcamp/BlackMagic at all.
This is not a proof that it doesn't work.

ReplyQuote
nuozek
(@nuozek)
Eminent Member
January 25, 2019 12:10 pm  

Hey guys,

Apologies for the slow response, I was away from my desk yesterday.

I can confirm that I’ve followed theitsage’s method, although I’m not 100% sure that the boot camp drivers are installing correctly after the DDUninstall, I receive the error message ‘No AMD graphics driver is installed, or the AMD driver is not functioning properly. Please install the AMD driver appropriate for your AMD hardware’. This is using the latest version of drivers at bootcamp drivers. 

The vega20 doesn’t reappear in device manager at this stage, so I don’t have the option to disable it. 

On the the plus side I spoke to Mat at bootcamp drivers via email yesterday, and he told me that in order to support the black magic eGPU Pro, he just needs the hardware device vendor ID sending over. I’ve sent this back to him, so fingers crossed it’ll be fully supported in the next iteration of drivers.

8916366D 0C8F 4734 A68A 414A80A42A9E

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
wimpzilla
(@wimpzilla)
Reputable Member
January 25, 2019 5:07 pm  
Posted by: OliverB

Are you saying that the BM alone does not works as eGPU in bootcamp?
I thought it was working alone, without the 5k attached to it, at least the RX580 version.

Also error 12 = not enough resources, i would remember you that the BM eGPU is like a daisy chained device, it chain the pci-e on one end and the Dp data on the other hand.
Much more is required, imo, to allocate everything compared to a basic eGPU box alone that pass only the pci-e data.

@mac_editor
Yes i was talking about the error, since i thought the BM RX580 was working in bootcamp.

@theitsage
It is possible to get the part number of the Atmel chip in the left corner of the pcb?

E=Mc²

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member
January 25, 2019 10:08 pm  

Are you saying that the BM alone does not works as eGPU in bootcamp?

Are you really derive this statement from my statements above? That is funny, because I would say I didnt'.
To clarify, I am saying:
-The OP, @nuozek has problems running his BM with Bootcamp.
-Those problems are not related to his monitor.
-People want to know if BM works with 5k-TB3-monitor under bootcamp, but we are not one step wiser.

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member
January 25, 2019 10:11 pm  
Posted by: mac_editor

Apparently we can download drivers from the AMD website for Bootcamp (though it seems the 2018 MBP is not supported).

"MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015 and newer)". For me this is "including 15-inch, Mid 2018".

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator
January 25, 2019 10:17 pm  

Also error 12 = not enough resources, i would remember you that the BM eGPU is like a daisy chained device, it chain the pci-e on one end and the Dp data on the other hand.
Much more is required, imo, to allocate everything compared to a basic eGPU box alone that pass only the pci-e data.

@mac_editor
Yes i was talking about the error, since i thought the BM RX580 was working in bootcamp.

@theitsage
It is possible to get the part number of the Atmel chip in the left corner of the pcb?

Yes that could indeed be the case if the monitor (as a detected Thunderbolt device in Windows) is causing the allocation issues. At the moment though we have a non-functioning BM eGPU Pro even without the monitor (likely driver issue). Will be interesting to see what'll happen with the UltraFine once the standalone GPU functions as expected. Bootcamp allocation works best when the user plugs in prior to boot so it might be a fun experiment.

@thread:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208908

Apparently we can download drivers from the AMD website for Bootcamp (though it seems the 2018 MBP is not supported).

This guide can be used to modify AMD drivers to work with bootcamp GPUs (and maybe the BM eGPU Pro):

http://freqnode.com/hack-the-latest-amd-gpu-drivers-into-bootcamp/

I am guessing this is what bootcampdrivers.com essentially is.

----
Command Line Swiss Knife
eGPU Hardware Chart
----
Multiple Build Guides

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
wimpzilla
(@wimpzilla)
Reputable Member
January 26, 2019 7:45 am  

Well what's the result with the BM RX580 and the Lg Ultrafine in bootcamp?

Is it working as expected in 5K, working 4K or not at all?

E=Mc²

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator
January 26, 2019 9:08 am  

@oliverb If you actually follow the links to download, the AMD site lists support for only up to 2017 macs.

@wimpzilla I don’t know if anyone tested that.

----
Command Line Swiss Knife
eGPU Hardware Chart
----
Multiple Build Guides

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member
January 26, 2019 6:16 pm  

Any progress here?

BTW, I have managed to hot-plug AMD cards in Windows twice. Ok, they were HD 5830 and HD 7870, but anyway: It is possible.

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member
February 2, 2019 2:45 am  

Hello @nuozek
what's the status? You didn't give up after all this fuzz?! It's not too hard to get a Vega56 running with a MacBookPro Pro. You can do this!

ReplyQuote
nuozek
(@nuozek)
Eminent Member
February 2, 2019 12:56 pm  

Hello @nuozek
what's the status? You didn't give up after all this fuzz?! It's not too hard to get a Vega56 running with a MacBookPro Pro. You can do this!

Thanks for checking in Oliver - haven’t given up yet, in fact Mat at Bootcamp Drivers just released today the updated driver for the vega 20 with in-built black magic eGPU pro support. Very much looking forward to giving this a try and will report back tomorrow!

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

ReplyQuote
nuozek
(@nuozek)
Eminent Member
February 6, 2019 12:44 pm  

Hey guys,

I finally got around to trying out the new bootcamp drivers yesterday, but sadly still no joy so far. 

If I leave the vega 20 activated after installing the drivers and booting with the eGPU connected my internal display goes black, and if I disable the vega 20 and boot with the eGPU connected I'm still encountering the dreaded error 12! So far I only tried the new drivers using Windows build 1809 with all patches applied as per the bootcamp drivers instructions, but hoping to also give it a try on build 1803 later today incase that makes a difference. 

In the meantime if anyone has any other ideas or leads - please let me know and I'll give them a try! 

ReplyQuote
nuozek
(@nuozek)
Eminent Member
February 9, 2019 12:56 am  

So I was just reading through this helpful guide written by @nando4  - and I observed in point 7 that 2018 Macbook pro's don't have large memory allocation because the firmware installed with Mojave disables it. Is this the reason why I'm having such consistent problems with error 12? I'd be grateful if anyone could confirm wether it would be safe/useful for me to try and do the DSDT override to enable large memory allocation? 

ReplyQuote
seifelkady
(@seifelkady)
February 21, 2019 12:58 am  

@nuozek @oliverb

Hi Guys, 
unfortunately i got the same problem with my 2018 15" Macbook Pro with 560x and the new Blackmagic Egpu Pro with Vega 56.

The steps i have takes:
1. Fresh install of windows 1803
2. Uninstalled bootcamp drivers with DDU
3. Booted into windows with BM Egpu Pro plugged in  - left for 10 minutes but still as Microsoft Display adapter and error 31
4.Manually extracted and installed Vega 56 driver from  AMD website
5. Rebooted with BM EGPU Pro plugged in - Error 12 appeared and Blackmagic Egpu Pro appears in device manager under unknown devices

Trials:
-I have tried plugging in the BM Egpu pro in all ports and still getting error 12
-Tried disabling the isight camera and the left side ports and still getting error 12

I am not sure what to do anymore, I was really looking forward to using this EGPU in bootcamp but now i am only stuck to using it in MacOs.
I really need your help to solve this matter and i am not willing to give up on it.

ReplyQuote
skol
 skol
(@skol)
March 25, 2019 5:13 pm  

Can anyone confirm the LG 5k works on bootcamp with the Blackmagic ( so the egpu drives the LG5k directly, not mirroring the MacBook screen with a performance loss).

I'm using a MacBook Pro 15 2018.

I'm about to buy the blackmagic eGpu if this works for bootcamp gaming with the LG5k. It seems like the most straight forward solution to get an eGPU working in windows with this awkward LG5k T3 Monitor.

Many Thanks,

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member
March 25, 2019 6:00 pm  
Posted by: seifelkady

@nuozek @oliverb

Hi Guys, 
unfortunately i got the same problem with my 2018 15" Macbook Pro with 560x and the new Blackmagic Egpu Pro with Vega 56.

The steps i have takes:
1. Fresh install of windows 1803
2. Uninstalled bootcamp drivers with DDU
3. Booted into windows with BM Egpu Pro plugged in  - left for 10 minutes but still as Microsoft Display adapter and error 31
4.Manually extracted and installed Vega 56 driver from  AMD website
5. Rebooted with BM EGPU Pro plugged in - Error 12 appeared and Blackmagic Egpu Pro appears in device manager under unknown devices

@seifelkady Did you try Step 6 and Step 7 of my guide after encountering Error 12? Uninstall the device and quickly reboot! It doesn't look as you did those step, you stopped after your Step 5? Why? Those steps are the most important steps of all. Why stop short before the finish line?

It's really very easy: Bootcamp eGPU Guide

Disable camera and left sight ports? Really?! How did you come to this idea? It is not advisable and doesn't bring anything. There is nothing of it in my guide.

This post was modified 4 weeks ago

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member
March 25, 2019 6:13 pm  
Posted by: nuozek

So I was just reading through this helpful guide written by @nando4  - and I observed in point 7 that 2018 Macbook pro's don't have large memory allocation because the firmware installed with Mojave disables it. Is this the reason why I'm having such consistent problems with error 12? I'd be grateful if anyone could confirm wether it would be safe/useful for me to try and do the DSDT override to enable large memory allocation? 

@nuozek, DSDT Override for 2018 MBP? No, no, no, this is nonsense! What a bigger nonsense that Mojave disabled anything. This is plainly wrong. This guide by @nando4 does not fit at all for you MacBookPro Model. Look the models at the guide! Your model is not listed. 

Edit: I must partly apologize to you, @nuozek. It is really what is said in Point 7 of that guide. It is new and it's not correct. That's why I couldn't believe it. It is still valid that:

Error 12 is no issue for 2018 MBP and Windows 10 Build 1803! You don't need such hacks for newer Macs!

@itsage, @nando4, People get the wrong idea and confusing guides and steps. It's very irritating. This is not the first time. It's happening all the time. Look at the post just before this one. Same problem.
The guides should be clearer about the models they are made for! How is it possible that @nuozek tells stories about memory allocation and Mojave disabling it for a 2018 MacBookPro??

This post was modified 4 weeks ago

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3