[GUIDE] MBP eGPU detection issues: delayed hotplugging, PERST# switch

Notifications
Clear all

[GUIDE] MBP eGPU detection issues: delayed hotplugging, PERST# switch  

of  10
  RSS

Matt
(@matt)

Scratch that, it allows for a delay between booting windows - so the same as the boot manager. It helps with the timing. So 50/50 really!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
 Matt
(@matt)

So I've covered the PERST# and tested it (without the cable to GRD). I can now boot into windows with the GPU plugged in no problem. It starts up but doesn't initiate the monitors. 

I'm having difficulty getting my cable to stay attached though. Have you got Skype or something similar and I can show you what I'm talking about?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

Matt, did you get your monitors issue sorted?

Also, would you be willing to do a writeup on the PERST# delay via small wire to help other Macbook owners who are having problems booting their system with their eGPU attached? This being a commonly reported problem.

Posted by: Matt

So I've covered the PERST# and tested it (without the cable to GRD). I can now boot into windows with the GPU plugged in no problem. It starts up but doesn't initiate the monitors. 

I'm having difficulty getting my cable to stay attached though. Have you got Skype or something similar and I can show you what I'm talking about?

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 1803 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
ddoc
 ddoc
(@ddoc)

This procedure described by Matt works consistently for me also (just got two in a row). 2015 MBP Akitio thunder2 Zotac/gtx1060 Win10:

1. Boot into MacOS with no eGPU connected

2. Run the automate eGPU script with the -a flag.

3. Shutdown

4. Unplug the power to the eGPU THEN plug the TB cable into the Mac. 

5. Boot to the boot manager screen

6. When the mouse becomes free to move (takes around 5 seconds) plug the power into the eGPU

7. if it doesn't freeze continue to boot into Windows.

8. This will work more often than other techniques I've tried. 

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

Close, but unfortunately the wrong location for the tape.

Pls put the tape on the same pin location but on the other side of the card and test again.

Posted by: ddoc

I put some tape over the specified pin and didnt get any result on my first try. My tape isn't very good though its not staying in place.. Ill try again later and post an update.

Update:

Tried with better tape and I'm not able to get any kind of consistent result. Maybe I'm reading the pinout diagram incorrectly? I attached a photo of the pin I'm covering. Maybe I can paint it with nail polish or something? In the photo I used electrical tape, I don't recommend that its pretty thick.  I tried again with cellophane and didn't have any different result. I did not try attaching a wire, but I don't know how I would secure it there anyway.

I estimate it worked 2/10 tries. One of them was following the same manual 8 step procedure as before. One was 'as expected' with everything powered on and plugged in before booting the MBP. Feels like luck.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 1803 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
ddoc
 ddoc
(@ddoc)

Worked first try! Windows took about 3 minutes to boot. Normally its about 30 seconds. Ill reboot a few times and see how it goes now.

Update:

I haven't been able to get this to work again.

Update 2:

After more tries it seems important the the GPU and Akitio are  both tottaly de-powered before starting. I have been leaving the TB cable plugged in, and powering up the eGPU (card and chassis) after a 10 second pause at the boot menu, and then promptly selecting windows. Seems to work 75% of the time. Could still be luck. Ill update again after more use in a week or so.

Update 3:

I painted the pin with some nail polish and the OS stopped recognizing that there was a GPU installed. In OSX automate-egpu.sh reported a thunderbolt device connected but no GPU. Windows never recognized it. After scraping off the paint things were back to 'normal'. My conclusion is that any perceived improvement in behavior due to tape over the pin was purely luck and the tape was probably just ineffective. 🙁 I even reinstalled my OS (downgraded Win10 to Win8.1) and tried with and without tape and there was no difference that I could measure.

itsage and nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
loligans
(@loligans)

Worked first try! Windows took about 3 minutes to boot. Normally its about 30 seconds. Ill reboot a few times and see how it goes now.

Update:

I haven't been able to get this to work again.

Update 2:

After more tries it seems important the the GPU and Akitio are  both tottaly de-powered before starting. I have been leaving the TB cable plugged in, and powering up the eGPU (card and chassis) after a 10 second pause at the boot menu, and then promptly selecting windows. Seems to work 75% of the time. Could still be luck. Ill update again after more use in a week or so.

Which Macbook are you running?

What is the GPU you are using?

What eGPU enclosure are you using?

ReplyQuote
ddoc
 ddoc
(@ddoc)

2015 MBP Akitio thunder2 Zotac/gtx1060 Win10

ReplyQuote
johnshea
(@johnshea)

Sorry I realize now that was ambiguous. This is what I was talking about:

1. Boot into MacOS with no eGPU connected

2. Run the automate eGPU script with the -a flag.

3. Shutdown

4. Unplug the power to the eGPU THEN plug the TB cable into the Mac. 

5. Boot to the boot manager screen

6. When the mouse becomes free to move (takes around 5 seconds) plug the power into the eGPU

7. if it doesn't freeze continue to boot into Windows.

8. This will work more often than other techniques I've tried. 

Great balls of fire! This works! I have a 2013 rMBP with a 750m eGPU and have had consistent black-screen-at-boot issues for two years. This method is the first one I've tried that appears, so far, to be consistently successful. 

Holy crap guys. This is awesome. Many thanks.

2011 11" MacBook Air [2nd,2C,M] + GTX 750 Ti @ 10Gbps-TB1 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + macOS 10.10 [build link]  

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
madjester
(@veriestvarlet)
Eminent Member

Unfortunately Matt's path doesn't seem to be working consistently on the 2015 13" MBP (Akitio TB 2, DA-2, EVGA 1060.) Windows 10 does occasionally boot with everything working but it takes several boots and there doesn't seem to be a reproducible path, just randomly works. Haven't tried the PIN trick mentioned above or just leaving it in OSX with an external monitor yet. 

(BTW huge thank you to all the Devs, when the Mac does cooperate, it is quite awesome.)

Early 2015 13" MBP with Thunder2 RX 470 on Windows 10 and MacOS 10.1 (Formerly)

Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Tablet 3rd Gen and 2070 RTX Aorus Gaming Box (Custom)
Web development, Video Editing, 2D + 3D animation

ReplyQuote
 of  10