Share:

[Solved] MBPr 13" (2014) + Akitio Thunder2 (GTX 960) + Win10 on external HDD - PROBLEMS  

RSS

waverapture
(@waverapture)
March 5, 2017 2:56 pm  

Hello guys,

So I'm having some issues with my current setup (in the title). I don't want to smalltalk for long, since I value everyones time, so here I go:

3 Problems/Questions:

1. I have three boot-options: "Macintosh HD", "Windows" and "EFI Boot". Why? Which is better? My eGPU almost exclusively works with the "Windows" boot-option (EFI Boot only worked once, though I tried EFI Boot + eGPU only a couple of times). It works when I shutdown the Mac. Plug thunderbolt in. Turn Mac on (eGPU starts running automatically). Quickly switch to "Windows" and press enter. I usually get it to work quiet fast, but since then my Wifi doesn't work (Problem 2), I have to restart a couple of times, so that doesn't help.
  2. My Wifi-driver is doing bizarre things and I don't know why. When I try to connect to a network, I see it disabling itself (in the bottom-right corner. Just the LAN-Symbol shows up for a second) and then enable itself again and says "Can't connect to Network". Then I have to reinstall the BootCamp-drivers, restart and IF I'm lucky, it works. If not, I have to to a weird combination of restarting, reinstalling drivers, disabling/uninstalling the driver etc., until it works (Usually 5-10 reinstalls, which takes me a couple of hours. Sometimes it doesn't want to work at all...). But after I shut down windows and restart, it doesn't work again.
  3. Is there any way to enable the iGPU when in Windows? Windows doesn't recognise the Intel Iris at all (And plugging the eGPU in AFTER I booted into windows doesn't work).

The combination of Problem 1 and 2 makes it so I can't use my eGPU on windows at all. Because almost always when I get the Wifi to work, my eGPU is not active. So I restart until my eGPU works and my Wifi doesn't work again... Seriously f***ing annoying.

And the fact that it feels like there is no correlation between what I actually do (Restarting, installing drivers, Uninstalling/disabling drivers, "forgetting" the network, plugging in the eGPU) and if the Wifi OR the eGPU work, really annoys me. I just can't figure out what the perfect setup/"way of doing things" is, so it's basically up to luck if i can use windows + eGPU...

(Btw. If you wondered: The Wifi not working doesn't have to do anything with the eGPU. It's the same thing when starting without the eGPU. It's a Windows-To-Go-thing I guess...)

So, I know Problems 1. and 2. aren't really eGPU-related, but I figured many other people using eGPUs also boot Windows from an external HDD/SDD.

You guys seem like you know what you are doing, so I wanted to ask what I should do to fix this issue (and since there's not really a community for "Windows 10 on external HDD", I though I'd just ask in here)

It would be really awesome if you could help me, since I basically can't use the eGPU for what I wanted to: Play Overwatch. 🙁

Thanks and see ya,

wave

(english is not my mother tongue, if you wondered)

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

enjoy
(@enjoy)
Reputable Member
March 5, 2017 3:35 pm  

Try this:

Device manager -> network adapters.

select broadcom and uinstall the driver. Next click in the top window on action and scan for hardware changes.

the broadcom driver will return and your wifi problem is sloved. let me know if it doesn't work

ϟ AKiTiO Thunder2 + EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SC Gaming (macOS Sierra 10.12.4 and Windows 10)
 MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Later 2013) 3.2GHz Quad Core Intel i7-4750HQ / 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 / 256GB SSD + 1TB
mini eGPUPCI Express vs. ThunderboltMac CAN gameGaming Laptops vs. MacBook Pro with eGPU

ReplyQuote
waverapture
(@waverapture)
March 9, 2017 8:34 pm  

Sadly this doesn't work. I have to reinstall the whole Apple Bootcamp driver package for the wifi to work it seems... It's really a weird problem...

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
Prominent Member Moderator
March 9, 2017 9:18 pm  

Can you try a USB Wifi device? That way you might get away with simply disabling the broadcom and use the USB one.

My eGPU Zoo - Link to my Implementations.
Want to output [email protected] out of an old system on the cheap? Read here.
"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."- Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love."

ReplyQuote
waverapture
(@waverapture)
March 17, 2017 11:38 am  
Posted by: Yukikaze

Can you try a USB Wifi device? That way you might get away with simply disabling the broadcom and use the USB one.

I could, but I'm generally a bit limited with my usb-slots right now.

Well. So I figured out what the problem with the wifi is. I noticed that my wifi also didn't work on macOS when the external HDD (with windows) is still plugged in. So once I disconnect the HDD AND pull the cable out, my wifi instantly connects with my router (and i can see many more networks than before).I have a feeling that this is a hardware-problem, so the wifi-card is disturbed by the HDD being connected...

Maybe it's a combination of the thunderbolt, USB, Powersupply and Headphonecables, since i noticed that  Otherwise I can't really explain why I have the same problems in macOS.

Since, when the macs powercable is connected, you can feel the voltage on the macbook with your fingers... And since the headphone jack (connected to a sound-system) is not grounded, i can actually pass electricity through my fingers when holding the cable... really weird. Well I will try connecting the HDD to different ports and see what my results are!

Thank you guys anyways!

Wave

ReplyQuote
waverapture
(@waverapture)
March 18, 2017 1:40 pm  

Okay guys. I've figured it out... My wifi problem had, in fact, to do with the external HDD.

So, I would connect the HDD via USB and lay it beneath the macbook (my macbook is ontop of a platform-thingy). Apparrently this disturbs the Wifi-signal... I fixed it by plugging the USB-HDD in and putting it on the other side of the desk (the usb-cable being stretched out) and this fixes it.

Really weird behaviour, I must say. But again, I fixed it and now everything is working fine.

Again, thank you guys for trying to help me 🙂

wave

ReplyQuote