mid 2013 MBA + Thunder2 + Zotac GTX 970: black screen/doesn't appear in Win 10?

Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] mid 2013 MBA + Thunder2 + Zotac GTX 970: black screen/doesn't appear in Win 10?  

RSS

sdedalus1
(@sdedalus1)
Trusted Member

Hi all,

So I had a Windows 10 UEFI Bootcamp setup with 2013 MBA + MSI GTX 950 and 100% boot success, detailed here:

https://egpu.io/forums/builds/mid-2013-13-mba-macbook-air-akitio-thunder2-gtx-950-tb1/#post-3260

I'm now trying to upgrade to a Zotac GTX 970 (ZT-90101-10P). I have installed the egpu successfully in macOS (actually 10.10.5) by uninstalling automate-egpu.sh and reinstalling the script. The card is recognized in System Information and I get a decent score in Heaven on OSX (score: 949 at 1920x1200 ultra, 8xaa, extreme tessellation).

However, I'm struggling to get it to work on the Windows side. I used DDU to uninstall the old NVIDIA GTX 950 drivers while in safe mode. When plugged into the MBA, the blue light on the Thunder2 board lights up, fans spin, etc., and because it works in OSX, I assume there isn't a hardware problem. Right now:

—If I boot Windows with the Akitio+970 plugged in before startup or at boot manager screen: black screen; fans spin up, then turn off, and repeat that pattern indefinitely.

—If I wait until the Windows splash screen (spinning wheel) or after desktop has loaded to plug in Akitio+970: card is not recognized in Device Manager, although blue led is lit and fans spin continuously.

—I tried shutting down, unplugging the egpu, cold boot to OSX, and running

[Please login to see this]

After which Terminal gives the message "Background services enabled." I then shutdown and/or restart OSX, and try plugging in from startup; at the boot screen; at spinning wheel; after startup, all the while booting into OSX in between attempts and running the script in -a mode again. And still nothing recognized in Device Manager.

—Also tried disabling and reenabling the Intel HD5000 driver under "Display Adapters" in Device Manager, as well as uninstalling that driver and rebooting, and trying again. Still no love.

Any tips?

Thanks in advance ...

EDIT: Did a PRAM reset but it didn't help.

Also noticed that

[Please login to see this]

does prevent black screen and allows booting all the way to Windows desktop with egpu plugged in from the start, or plugged in at boot manager. However, card still doesn't appear in Device Manager and Nvidia installer doesn't find a compatible card.

gtx970 in system information

2018 Mac Mini [8th,4C,B] + RX 580 @ 16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 1903 // Win10 on external SSD [build link]

2014 13" MacBook Pro [4th,2C,U] + RX 580 @ 16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + macOS 10.13.6 & Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
sdedalus1
(@sdedalus1)
Trusted Member

Fixed! After hours of reboots yesterday, I had another go today. Even though the card wasn't appearing (so no error 12), I thought I'd try some DSDT fixes, although I'm not sure that actually solved the problem.

1. In Device Manager, I disabled the PCI root bridge above iSight camera and shut down.

2. Restarted with with egpu unplugged and booted into OSX, where I ran automate-egpu.sh in -a mode. 

3. Restarted to boot manager, where I plugged in egpu, and proceeded to boot Windows.

4. Generic Microsoft Display Adapter now appeared in Device Manager! Installed Nvidia drivers and allowed the computer to restart at prompt.

5. However, the reboot into Win10 froze with black screen. And then a sequence of various kinds of failed boots:

a. Shutdown and reboot to OSX with egpu still plugged in, run script in -a mode, restart into boot manager, choose Windows: black screen.

b. Shutdown and reboot to OSX with egpu unplugged, run script in -a mode, restart into boot manager, <I think egpu was plugged in at this moment, but it could have been plugged in after restarting but before boot manager>, choose Windows, get Windows splash screen with "Preparing Automatic Repair" text: hang at spinning wheel, fans going on and off like at black screen.

c. With egpu still unplugged, restart into boot manager, choose Windows, plug in egpu at spinning wheel, boots to Win desktop but no card in device manager.

6. Finally: Shutdown and reboot to OSX with egpu unplugged, run script in -a mode, restart into boot manager, plug in egpu <it's possible it was plugged in after restarting and before boot manager though, not sure>, boot into Windows: success!!! Drivers are installed and GTX 970 recognized in Device Manager.

Remarkably, a series of reboots going Windows > boot manager > Windows, with the egpu plugged in the whole time, have been successful. I haven't yet booted OSX > Windows, but it looks like I don't need to boot into OSX and run script with -a mode anymore now that it's correctly installed. Don't know whether step #1 made a difference, or I just got lucky. I assume you can go directly from #4 to #6 to skip all the failed boot problems I had. Will post implementation guide and benchmarks when I get the chance.

Screenshot 7 copy

2018 Mac Mini [8th,4C,B] + RX 580 @ 16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 1903 // Win10 on external SSD [build link]

2014 13" MacBook Pro [4th,2C,U] + RX 580 @ 16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + macOS 10.13.6 & Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Natasha
(@natasha)
Eminent Member

Friend, add please screenshot with "PCI root bridge" above Isight camera....cant find it ( 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
sdedalus1
(@sdedalus1)
Trusted Member

Don't have a screenshot at the moment, but in Device Manager, go to the menu, choose View submenu, then change from "view by device" to "view by connection." Then look for iSight camera and disable the root bridge above it.

ReplyQuote