Setup & Software Discussions
Mid-2015 15" MBP, Intel HD 5200, Gaming Box GTX 1070 help in Bootcamp - Mojave

Mid-2015 15" MBP, Intel HD 5200, Gaming Box GTX 1070 help in Bootcamp - Mojave  

RSS

(@zaki_qutteineh)

Hello guys,

I'm using an MBP mid-2015 15" model with intel graphics only, recently purchased a Gaming box GTX 1070 & an apple TB3 to TB2 adapter along with a TB cable I got with a transcend TB hdd case. So far I've used so many different approaches and haven't been successful at getting this setup to work under Windows 10. (I don't need it for OSX).

I've noticed the egpu enclosure gets powered up while booting under MacOS (and can see the graphics card name listed under thunderbolt devices), but there is no activity when booting on Windows 10. So I tried the apple_set_os.efi spoof thinking it will fix my problem but no luck. Tried hot plugging at different boot sequences but nothing either. Under Windows, I do see a Thunderbolt entry under System devices ... so I know Windows is detecting my enclosure, however, the graphics card is nowhere to be seen.

I've honestly read every post on this forum relating to 2015 MBPs ... considering downgrading to High Sierra in case it helps. Would appreciate all your suggestions and help! Cheers.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
(@zaki_qutteineh)

From https://egpu.io/forums/builds/mid-2014-MacBook-pro-gt750m-gtx107016gbps-tb2-aorus-gaming-box-macos-10-13-6-mac_editor/paged/2/#post-58229

@khalid_halba

Hey Khalid, mind sharing which thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt 2 adapter are you using for your build? I have a similar setup to yours and can't get the gaming box to power up on Windows ... heard somewhere that the apple adapter I got isn't compatible with Windows. 
Appreciate all the advice you can share on the topic. Cheers!

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

Posted by: @zaki_qutteineh

.. mind sharing which thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt 2 adapter are you using for your build?

@zaki_qutteineh, all the TB3 enclosure builds on TB2/TB1 systems are using the bidirectional Apple TB3 to TB2 adapter:

https://egpu.io/builds/?table_filter =”>TB3 “

Other manufacturer’s, eg: Startech/AKiTiO, TB3 to TB2 adapters only support the unidirectional TB3 notebook to TB2 enclosure configuration.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) (6th,4C,H) + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + macOS 10.13.6 & Win10

ReplyQuote
(@zaki_qutteineh)

@nando4

Thanks! Noted.

So, next question would be ... I can get the gaming box to power up (RGB and all are on) during a Mac OS boot though graphics card fan doesn't spin, on Windows side however, absolutely nothing ... any tips on how to resolve that? I did however notice that when I hot plug, a Thunderbolt shows up on Device Manager under System devices, but that's that. 

I thought the fact I don't have a dedicated GPU on my MacBook pro 2015 & that I would only need the eGPU on Windows would make the process simpler ... however, unsuccessful so far. Not sure if it's Mojave or the NVRAM to blame  🙁

ReplyQuote
(@zaki_qutteineh)

Guys, 

I'm still looking for any help I can get.

Last evening decided to downgrade to High Sierra 10.13.6, and Windows 10 1803 ... still same results.  🙁

What I found curious is that I never got any crashes no matter when I plug or to which OS I boot ... both OSs have been booting up perfectly fine before and after the downgrade, which actually got me concerned.

Could it be that the TB cable I am using is not supported? It works fine with my transcend hard disk enclosure. 

Also, I tried booting via USB with the automate eGPU tool ... and it doesn't detect any eGPU even though the enclosure is connected to my MacBook. https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/automate-egpu-efi-egpu-boot-manager-for-macos-and-windows/

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

ReplyQuote
(@zaki_qutteineh)

@mac_editor

Thanks, man!

I didn't check the links yet but I am happy to say my problems seem to have been resolved ...  at least that's what I hope.

Let me explain ... in case it helps someone out there.

Initially, my issue was that I was blindly booting Windows / Mac OS without actually knowing whether my eGPU was getting detected at boot level or not.  Tried all sorts of tricks (hot plugging TB cable, powering on with eGPU connected, spoofing Windows, nothing. Interestingly, every now and then, the eGPU would be detected on my Mac OS or on Windows boot ... but by the time I set the drivers up, it would vanish again! Twice I managed to reach the stage where the drivers were installed, and the device is working fine on device manager ... but as soon as I fired up a game, it would crash 4 mins later with Nvidia control center telling me the card was disconnected. 

But thanks to @goalque, I understood what the issue was as soon as I turned the MBP on. The eGPU was not detected on the automate-eGPU EFI USB boot ... it was obvious this was not a Mac OS or Windows issue, rather a power, connectivity or hardware one. Went out of the way and bought a new TB2 cable, that didn't help either ... but at least I knew it wasn't the cause.

So, eventually, I decided to open the Aorus gaming box GTX 1070 and try to fiddle with it. To my amusement, the card works perfectly now when out of the case! I have no idea how a metal enclosure case was preventing the eGPU from functioning ... heck, I don't even know if this was all just a coincidence. As for the random crashes, hasn't happened in the last 4 hours ... since I am now using the Aorus Engine and set the main fan speed to 75% when I'm gaming & to 15% when idle. Played "The Surge" on high settings and was a very pleasant experience.

So far switched the MBP off 3 times in a row, while booting with USB, and eGPU plugged in and the card got detected 3 times. Though I dread trying again!!   😀

Well, even if something goes wrong once again, I gotta say, this community is amazing. I wish I had 20% of the knowledge you guys have, and most importantly, the patience and persistence to pull all this off! A heartfelt thank you.

ReplyQuote