Mid MacBook Pro 15 2018 560X i7 with Akitio Thunder2??

Mid MacBook Pro 15 2018 560X i7 with Akitio Thunder2??  

RSS

maxiat
(@maxiat)

Hi,
i am still having a MBP late 2014 with the Akitio Thunder2 which is working perfectly for playing games in windows.

I am going to buy the new MBP15 2018. So my question has anyone experience or a guess if my Akitio Thunder2 will still work with the MBP 2018, using an adapter for TB2 to TB2?

Thanks a lot
Max

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

thiagon liked
ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
Prominent Member Moderator

It should work via an adapter, yes. However, the gain from a RX560 running as an eGPU over a Radeon Pro 560 (if your planned MBP2018 comes with one, that is) is going to be rather small.

Want to output [email protected] out of an old system on the cheap? Read here.
Give your Node Pro a second Thunderbolt3 controller for reliable peripherals by re-using a TB3 dock (~50$).

"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."- Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love."

ReplyQuote
maxiat
(@maxiat)

The Akitio is plugged with a Nvidia GTX970. So you mean the gain from a GTX 970 to the RX560x is not that big. Might be true. Mayb about 20%.
But i could upgrade the card any time.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
Prominent Member Moderator

Posted by: maxiat

The Akitio is plugged with a Nvidia GTX970. So you mean the gain from a GTX 970 to the RX560x is not that big. Might be true. Mayb about 20%.
But i could upgrade the card any time.

I misread the title. I thought you were using a Radeon 560 in the Thunder2. If you have a GTX970 that's better.
In any case, it should work. Not sure if you'd need the TB2 workaround scripts still.

Want to output [email protected] out of an old system on the cheap? Read here.
Give your Node Pro a second Thunderbolt3 controller for reliable peripherals by re-using a TB3 dock (~50$).

"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."- Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love."

ReplyQuote
maxiat
(@maxiat)

Thanks. I will try and let you know.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

The 2018 MacBook Pro is Thunderbolt 3 so there’s native eGPU support even when the enclosure is Thunderbolt 2. You would need community support and Nvidia web driver to run the GTX 970. The two current solutions are @goalque automate-eGPU EFI and @mac_editor‘s Purge-Wrangler.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

ReplyQuote
maxiat
(@maxiat)

I see.
One more question. Do you think it´s worth to upgrade my MBP 15 mid 2014 2,5Ghz i7 to a MBP 2018 2,2Ghz using the the egpu?
Or should i keep the MBP and just buy a new GPU.

When i got it right benchmarks 3dMark - Fire Strike: 9763 (MBP 2014) vs ?  MBP 2018 with GTX970 (couldn´t find any data on that)

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@maxiat I upgraded from the same machine (with 750M) to a 2018 model because for my specific needs it meets the criteria (HEVC and more cores). If your primary concern is only eGPU performance, I don't think the minor differences are worth the price. IMO, best thing is to try it out for a few days and see how things are and return if the differences are negligible. A fresh battery and good thermal repasting would bring a 2014 back to life.

purge-wranglerpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance
2018 MacBook Pro 15" RP560X + RX 5700 XT (Mantiz Venus)

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

ReplyQuote
maxiat
(@maxiat)

Good idea. Will test through and will post some results.

ReplyQuote
maxiat
(@maxiat)

Posted by: itsage

The 2018 MacBook Pro is Thunderbolt 3 so there's native eGPU support even when the enclosure is Thunderbolt 2. You would need community support and Nvidia web driver to run the GTX 970. The two current solutions are @goalque automate-eGPU EFI and @mac_editor's Purge-Wrangler.

My setup with the Akitio tunder2 (TB2) with TB2/TB3 apple adapter is working out of the box. Just installed Win10 via Bootcamp, boot in windows, plug the egpu, install Nvidia driver, restart and done.

Will do some performance tests and let you know.

thiagon and itsage liked
ReplyQuote
thiagon
(@thiagon)

Hi @maxiat , I have a 2012 mbpr and also have the akitio thunder2 was wondering how it would work with a thunderbolt 3 macbook from 2018. Appreciate if you could further comment/post your experience. 

Nice to hear it has been plug n play both in windows/mac :))) 

Macbook Pro Retina mid-2012 - Akitio Thunder2 - GTX1050TI 4GB win10/mac os

ReplyQuote
maxiat
(@maxiat)

Hi thiagon. It works through an adapter you can buy from Apple.  I only tried it in Windows10. It even work with hot plug, mean i can boot Win10 without the egpu, plug it in and there it is.
If it works on MacOs, i don´t know. But i don´t think so as i am using an Nvidia card which is not officially supported by apple.

ReplyQuote