Asus Rog Station x2 with Strixx 1080ti card. with Clevo P870DM-G Gaming Laptop.

Notifications
Clear all

Asus Rog Station x2 with Strixx 1080ti card. with Clevo P870DM-G Gaming Laptop.  

of  2
  RSS

Avery Rosa
(@avery_rosa)

Hi guys,

I was wondering if someone can help me with this. I got an Asus Rog station x2 and a Strixx 1080ti graphics card for Christmas. my plan was to attach the egpu to my P870DM-G gaming laptop to boost up the graphics. I've been having problems After I got all the drivers installed like the Thunderbolt driver, Hotplug XG station. I get this message when I plug it in no matter when starting up the system or when it's fully booted up. The message is from the hotplug tool "XG station detached". 

So i checked device manager to see what is going on and the only thing that shows up is USB HUB 3.0 under Universal Bus Controllers. And i looked into this further to see whats going on so i downloaded HWinfo64 to see what it's connected too and it shows that it's connected to the PCI Express port #5.  

But I'm at a loss guys I even checked my bios to see if there were settings that were affecting it. But my Thunderbolt setting is turned on and set to Legacy so it won't block anything. 

Can you guys please help me out? I also attached image links to the bottom that shows the images of what shows up in device manager and HWinfo64.

Thank You so much,

Avery

Device Manger(1)

Device Manger 2

HWINFO64

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Avery Rosa
(@avery_rosa)

Also when XG station 2 is powered on and plugged into my gaming laptop. the strobe light in front lights up, but the fans and the graphic card doesn't.  There is also a light on the back of the graphics card itself that is bright red and I don't know if that means something is wrong with the graphics card which is fine cause I got the 2-year warranty on it. I have pictures of this too.

Strobe Light

Graphic Card

Red Light on graphic card

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Flint Ironstag
(@flint-ironstag)
Estimable Member

You're running a supported configuration - have you contacted ASUS support?

MP 6,1 | 4c | d700
MP 6,1 | 6c | d500

ReplyQuote
sicily428
(@sicily428)
Trusted Member

What's your TB firmware? I doubt clevo released a new firmware for that model because users can normally change their mxm gpus with a new MSI Gtx1070

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Avery Rosa
(@avery_rosa)

Here is a picture of my thunderbolt firmware. But both Thunderbolt Controller driver and Networking driver both say unknown. 

TB Firmware

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@avery_rosa the detection issue is with out-dated BIOS and/or Thunderbolt 3 firmware of your Clevo laptop. The Intel Thunderbolt 3 software doesn't show an active Thunderbolt controller inside the laptop. Device Manager and HWiNFO64 are not detecting the Thunderbolt port either.

My recommendation is to look for newer BIOS and Thunderbolt 3 firmware on Clevo Support website.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2021 14" Microsoft Surface Laptop Studio [11th,4C,H] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (WD_Black D50) + Win11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Avery Rosa
(@avery_rosa)

Thank You so much. So for the bios. I know you have to flash them by using freedos and by making a bootable USB. I've been using my portable hard drive and I tried making one using Rufus. but when I get it all set. and restart my computer and go into boot manager my portable hard drive doesn't show up. This is what my Rufus setup looks like. Is this correct or am I doing something wrong? 

Rufus setup for portable hard drive

inside hardrive

ReplyQuote
sicily428
(@sicily428)
Trusted Member

check this guide for having Intel Thunderbolt Firmware Update v18:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/clevo-p870dm-drivers-mirror.786094/page-21#post-10275986

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Avery Rosa
(@avery_rosa)

Ok we’re getting close guys😍. Thank you so much for the help so far. Next is the bios. I emailed Clevo customer support but nothing yet.

Here’s a picture of my updated v18 Thunderbolt Firmware. 

Thunderbolt v18

ReplyQuote
Avery Rosa
(@avery_rosa)

Ok, also with my bios not up to date,  the other problem is I have to update the XG Station firmware to v23 which is what makes everyone works on there laptop. The only problem is every time I try to plug my XG station on boot up I get an error saying "xg station detached" even after I updated my Thunderbolt firmware to v18. So I know I have to update the XG station firmware to v23. But every time I try even though supposedly my EGPU is detached I get an error from the XG firmware updater saying: " No active Asus Rog XG Station 2 found in the system or Thunderbolt software not present".

XG STATION FIRWARE UPDATE ERROR

So I thought I would use the trick I did to update my Thunderbolt Firmware. and it worked to bypass the first error. but then I get another error saying:                                                                                            " Error 0x21E SDK_NO_MATCHING_DEVICE_FOUND".

XG STATION FIRMWARE UPDATE ERROR 2

Do you guys still think this is because my Bios isn't updated? I'm so close to getting it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

ReplyQuote
 of  2