New Setup Plagued by Error 12 (Mac Mini 2018 on Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit)  

RSS

zeamp
(@zeamp)
February 12, 2019 5:17 pm  

I just purchased a new Mac Mini (i5-8500B 6-Core, 8GB RAM) and a Sonnet Breakaway Box 350W for my single-fan RX 560 2GB.

Everything works great under macOS with no issues. I'm able to play 3D games, set External GPU on my favorite apps (Adobe), but when I switch to Windows 10 Pro under Bootcamp (latest updates), I keep getting Error 12.

I followed a few guides here, searched for the past couple of days. Let me cover what I've done in Windows with no fix for Error 12:

I've disabled certain PCI and add-ons in Windows that I don't need (Bluetooth, Ethernet).

I've done the DDU (DUU?) clean removal of graphics drivers back to MS Basic, installed drivers from BootCampDrivers website, RX 560 appears but has yellow icon says Error 12, won't work.

eGPU only lets Windows boot when I hot plug the eGPU Box during Windows logo (when you see the dot circles moving). Otherwise, it goes through various black screens, matrix-looking flashes until I unplug it. In macOS I just plug in and boot up.

When I go to generate my DSDT in Windows (Dumping my ACPI tables) with asl /u dsdt.dat generates a black DSDT file. After going around and around trying to follow nando4's DSDT override eGPU error 12 fix (Windows only) and keep getting blank DSDT files where I cannot continue.

I then tried the USB boatloader EFI method where it brings you the black and white screen, q for more options. It detects my eGPU but when I go to load windows in the menu, it hangs on "Saving..." in the boot loader USB and never progresses.

After all that, and roughly 15 hours of reading various forums, I purchase nando's Setup eGPU 1.35 (?) via PayPal, but I haven't gotten my copy yet. In fact, I can't seem to email his Ymail address, it bounces back with errors on my personal email and my iCloud email...

Not sure where to turn now. I'm no stranger to macOS modifications and tweaking, having been one of the first people to take the infamous "deadmoo" Tiger 10.4 image native on my Dell Inspiron if that tells you anything about my age or knowledge. I hope I'm not missing some critical step. I've done everything but re-install Windows since it's a brand new install only a few days old before my eGPU box arrived.

What should I try next?...... I was under the impression with smaller cards (4GB or under?) the Error 12 was not an issue, and it's AMD RX, and it works great in macOS plug and play out of the box in the latest beta of Mojave.

Mac Mini 2018 (i5-8500B, 8GB RAM), Sonnet Breakaway Box 350W + AMD RX 560 2GB Single Fan GFX

ReplyQuote
zeamp
(@zeamp)
February 12, 2019 5:24 pm  

(I'm also too new to send nando a message regarding my purchase, since his email bounces back to me I am not sure how to reach him. I know his Setup eGPU package is known to help with Error 12)

Mac Mini 2018 (i5-8500B, 8GB RAM), Sonnet Breakaway Box 350W + AMD RX 560 2GB Single Fan GFX

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
February 12, 2019 5:34 pm  

The RX 560 eGPU should work fairly straight forward with 2018 Mac mini if you don't need to keep the iGPU activated. I tried a similar setup with Sonnet Breakaway Puck 560. All I did after Windows installation through Boot Camp was as followed:

• Hot-plug RX 560 eGPU in Windows Desktop
  • Download and install latest Radeon drivers from AMD website
  • Shut Mac mini down when driver installation completes
  • Switch HDMI output cable from Mac mini to RX 560 eGPU
  • Power Mac mini on then wait for Windows Desktop to load

You will not see most of the booting process but once the eGPU gets initiated, part of the login stage is visible. If all have failed to resolve error 12 so far, I'd recommend doing a clean Windows installation and give these steps a try.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

94 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
zeamp
(@zeamp)
February 12, 2019 5:44 pm  

When I shut the Mini down (I have the drivers, shows up, etc. but Error 12) and boot into Windows, the Windows logo flickers constantly when I'm plugged into the eGPU (via HDMI cable). It never takes me to the desktop. I have to unplug the eGPU to get it to fully boot to the login screen and then plug in the eGPU... but that seems to let the system allocate more PCI resources to other things and not my eGPU if I understand correctly. It just won't finish booting unless I hot swap the eGPU after Windows boots... but then Error 12 is never resolved.

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member
February 12, 2019 9:27 pm  

I can’t help much as I only had my mini for a day before giving up on it, but one thing I’ve found is booting the exact same way doesn’t always trips the exact same results. 

Example: I get stuck on “saving” with the bootloader sometimes and have to hard restart. Next time i select it it’s ususlly fine. 

Pretty sure itsage found found out that rEFInd produced more consistent booting on Mac mini’s.

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touchbar + [email protected] (AKiTiO Thunder3) + Win10
2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + [email protected] (Sonnet Breakaway Box) + Win10

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + GTX1070 (debating 2070 upgrade) @32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core V1) + Win10

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + Vega 56 @32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core V1) + Win10 & macOS 10.14+

---
LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote
zeamp
(@zeamp)
February 12, 2019 9:47 pm  

After a couple dozen restarts, various ports, and also switching my startup disk to Bootcamp (Windows), it seems to be working right now under Windows 10 Pro. I'm afraid to reboot again!

I'm taking photos of the ports I used, what I have disabled right now as I'm now typing this in Windows through my eGPU. AMD XConnect pops up and everything, using BootCampDrivers AMD package.

NOTE FOR NANDO

Hello, nando! I received your email but I am unable for some reason to email you. I tried forwarding you my PayPal receipt from my personal email and my iCloud, and for some reason Yahoo Mail is rejecting it, saying:
Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender
554 Message not allowed - [PH01] Email is not accepted for policy reasons. Please visit https://help.yahoo.com/kb/postmaster/SLN5067.html

Very strange because usually iCloud mail is perfectly fine and it bounces on both my email addresses. I simply cannot email you, but I can see your email to me. If you can look up PayPal Transaction ID 7Y9240469C8459058 Sent Feb 11 2019 14:40:40 GMT -05:00

I would still like the Setup eGPU software, even though I now have it somehwat working - to support a fellow developer and the software looks really nice. I feel like I'll still need it as a better fix and it's totally worth the $15 I paid if it cures some headaches!

I'm going to create a full backup of my Windows and then update all my software again, including trying to update the drivers. I believe it will replace my special BootCampDrivers drivers for AMD, but I'm wondering what I need to disable or carefully update in the future to keep this thing working under Windows... almost feels like the old Hackintosh and HackBook days, or waiting on those AMD patched kernels.

ReplyQuote
zeamp
(@zeamp)
February 17, 2019 4:12 am  

Nando reached out to me and I now have eGPU Setup working in case I need it in the future. Thanks again!

ReplyQuote