Setup & Software Discussions
No internal nor external display with Windows 10 Bootcamp and RX 560

No internal nor external display with Windows 10 Bootcamp and RX 560  

RSS

Swisher Sweet
(@swisher-sweet)
Eminent Member

Hi,

I have a MSI Gaming RX 560 eGPU connected via Thunderbolt 3 to a 2018 MacBook Pro and Windows 10 (latest download today) in Bootcamp.
In macOS Mojave, I can see the eGPU and get video externally and accelerate internal apps. In Windows 10 however, when the RX 560 eGPU is connected, internal screen just shows the Windows Logo (it giggles a bit) and never shows desktop. I can remote desktop into the Windows, but the internal laptop screen shows the Windows loading logo. Externally, if I connected, shows nothing.

Windows installed the default RX 560 drivers. Could this be a driver issue, or is what I'm trying to do not possible in Windows 10 and this video adapter?

Thank you.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

What does Device Manager show for the RX 560 eGPU? When you have an eGPU connected prior to booting, the iGPU would be deactivated which leads to frozen Windows logo. My recommendation is to use DDU to remove the graphics drivers then perform a manual installation of the latest Radeon drivers. If you were to use internal display, try timed hotplug at Windows spinning circles or use automate-eGPU EFI boot loader.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
Swisher Sweet
(@swisher-sweet)
Eminent Member

Ugh, it's the dreaded error 12. I did all the steps that don't require boot managers and other invasive techniques, and no success. 

I see your build similar to mine:

https://egpu.io/forums/builds/2017-13-non-touch-bar-macbook-pro-rx-vega-5632gbps-tb3-mantiz-venus-win10-itsage/

I am running 2018 MacBook Pro 13" with toolbar, Sonnet Echo Express III D, and RX 560. OS is Windows 10. 

Perhaps the next version of Windows will make this easier. Works great in macOS with no modifications. 

This post was modified 5 months ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

@swisher-sweet
You don't have a 15" MacBook, but did you try this bootcamp guide?

Main Steps:

1) Hotplug eGPU, get Error 12
2) Uninstall Device, don't remove files.
3) Reboot

Anyway, booting with the eGPU plugged in (or hot-plugging it very soon as @itsage suggests) you should avoid Error 12. If you have Windows 10 Build 1803 or newer this probably won't be better in the future.

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

ReplyQuote
Swisher Sweet
(@swisher-sweet)
Eminent Member

I just tried this, and when Windows comes back up, just has a black screen both internally and externally via eGPU. I can remote desktop into it and the only video adapter I see is the eGPU (RX 560) and there's no error 12 any more. The iGPU does not show up in device manager.

This procedure does get rid of the error 12, but doesn't display any images in internal nor external displays with my config.

I made sure to follow the instructions carefully (safe mode, DDU, hot plug, uninstall RX 560, etc). So perhaps this procedure doesn't work with the 2018 13" MacBook Pro.

Thank you.

ReplyQuote