Not Quite There Yet
We're this close to having perfect hot-plugging on the 2018 MacBook Pro 13", at least with NVIDIA cards. However, there are a few caveats.
1. Sometimes the sound just disconnects for no reason. I'm not sure if it's software, my long TB3 cable or something more sinister. Strangly, it still works through my speakers but not headphones.
2. You must wait 20+ seconds for the eGPU to start. You can try the lottery by connecting at the Windows boot logo, but it doesn't always work.
3. The eGPU absolutely hates it when another TB3 device is connected.
4. It's still impossible to go into sleep mode without screwing everything over.
5. You must plug in your TB3 cable each time before gaming. There's no way to use it all the time unless you want to waste your eGPU in idle mode.
Other than that, I guess everything is fine. We're so close yet so far. This is way better than what we had years before, but these little issues are still frustrating when I just want to game rather than do tech support on my laptop for an hour.
Maybe I'm better off with the Vega 20 MacBook? Can it run CEMU?