NUC6i7KYK + Node + GTX 1070Ti = Random GPU disconnect

Notifications
Clear all

NUC6i7KYK + Node + GTX 1070Ti = Random GPU disconnect  

RSS

drax392
(@dieseldrax)
Estimable Member

So, I've moved on from doing the eGPU thing and have loaned my NUC and Node to my niece to use until she gets her own gaming PC.  This is the same NUC and Node that I used flawlessly with the 1080Ti that's now in my full desktop PC.

So, her husband bought her a 1070Ti for Christmas (I also loaned her a GTX 960 I had laying around) and that was the first time she really tried to use it due to moving into a new apartment, etc.  Anyway...

She's been having a problem with her monitor losing signal from the GPU randomly and has even seen a notification about the GPU disconnecting/reconnecting from the Nvidia eGPU taskbar icon.  Sometimes it comes back on its own after a couple of seconds but most of the time it has to be hard shutdown and rebooted.  The computer isn't frozen, the Node is still connected (Blue LED is lit so it doesn't seem to be a Thunderbolt connection problem), and after a hard reset it will work for a random amount of time.

I went over to her place yesterday to try and sort it out, and I thought we had it licked; Seemed like the 6-pin was connected from one 8->6+2 cable and the 2-pin was coming from the other cable I had in there for my 1080Ti.  I thought perhaps the PSU was being "smart" and shutting off the 2-pin for some reason since after I removed the unnecessary cable and put it all back together it was stable until I left 15 minutes later.  Prior to that it would lose signal after 1-3 minutes or so, sometimes going a few minutes, but was quite soon after booting.

Tonight, she texts and tells me it's doing it again.  I'm at a loss.  I suggested putting the GTX 960 back in and seeing if that had the same problem or not, but I haven't heard if they did that or not.

Has anyone else experienced this?  Removing and replugging the TB3 cable doesn't do anything, powercycling the Node doesn't do anything, the only temporary fix is to do a hard reset of the NUC.  Argh!

Intel Skull Canyon NUC (NUC6i7KYK) - 1TB Samsung 960 EVO NMVe SSD, 32GB memory
Apple Mac Pro 2013 - Deca-core 3GHz Xeon, 32GB memory, 1TB Apple SSD, D700 dGPU, eGPU shared with above NUC.
AKiTiO Node - EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC2 Gaming, Corsair SF600 PSU, Cougar Vortex HDB 120 case fan

2013 17" ASUS G750JS (GTX870M) [4th,4C,Q] + GTX 1080 Ti @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

Is it running the stock PSU or the Corsair SF600?

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX 5600 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (VisionTek mini eGFX) + macOS 11 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
drax392
(@dieseldrax)
Estimable Member

Posted by: itsage

Is it running the stock PSU or the Corsair SF600?

Running the SF600 still, the only things that have changed since I was using it with my 1080Ti are the video card and a fresh Win10 install.  They swapped in the old GTX 960 yesterday and it still did it, then they connected a second monitor, switched the display setting back to "mirrored" so that it would stop trying to change the primary display, and then it was fine for the rest of the afternoon/evening.  Which is what happened last time I messed with it, it just decided to be stable for the rest of the evening and then started acting up the next time she used it.  We'll see if it starts acting up again today or not.

Apple Mac Pro 2013 - Deca-core 3GHz Xeon, 32GB memory, 1TB Apple SSD, D700 dGPU, eGPU shared with above NUC.
AKiTiO Node - EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC2 Gaming, Corsair SF600 PSU, Cougar Vortex HDB 120 case fan

2013 17" ASUS G750JS (GTX870M) [4th,4C,Q] + GTX 1080 Ti @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
drax392
(@dieseldrax)
Estimable Member

Ok, well this project/issue has been put on the back-burner for now.  I put a desktop PC together and put the video card and SSD used with the NUC into it so my niece is back online and trouble-free again.  At this point I may just sell my Node and use the NUC for a mini server here at home to replace an aging Mac Mini or maybe I'll just sell the NUC as well.  Anyone want to buy some stuff?  😉

ReplyQuote