Nvidia Drivers Disappear When eGPU Thunderbolt is Disconnected

Notifications
Clear all

Nvidia Drivers Disappear When eGPU Thunderbolt is Disconnected  

RSS

kammon2
(@kammon2)

Dell XPS 15  2-in-1 (9575) +  Razer Core X Chroma  + MSI  Nvidia GTX 970  4GB

I'm at my wit's end here and would be extremely grateful if anyone could take the time to help me out. Day 2 of my setup and I've been able to solve most of my issues. As the title says though, every time I disconnect my cable, the drivers seem to uninstall. I cannot figure out what is happening. I've scoured both of these posts where @itsage graciously responded and tried the suggested solutions with no results (though I'm not sure what is meant by some of his suggestions.)

So far I have:

- Ran DDU in Safe Mode

- Downloaded standalone driver

- Made a system exception for windows using 970 hardware ID

- Tried disconnecting with and without hitting the disconnect button first

- Restarting computer with GPU attached

and have had no success. I have opened GeForce Experience and can see the driver sitting there installed but the moment the eGPU is unplugged, it goes back to the Custom/Express Installation buttons. This makes me think that Nvidia is doing something weird as they wont let me install the drivers when the eGPU isn't hooked up so maybe once its detected as 'missing' the drivers are self destructing?

I'm not sure guys but I really appreciate any help. I'm so close to making this a seamless transition from my Dell Docking station and this is the last major hurdle (I hope!)

Thanks

Dell XPS 15 2-in-1 (9575) + Razer Core X Chroma + GTX 970 4GB

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@kammon2, Did you select the check box in DDU > OPTIONS to prevent Windows from auto detecting and searching for drivers of new devices?

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2018 Mac Mini [8th,4C,B] + RX Vega 56 Nano @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Gigabyte Gaming Box) + macOS 11.0 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
kammon2
(@kammon2)

@itsage

I tried this multiple ways, including going into windows settings, and the best result I got was one time I unplugged the cord, plugged it back in and it works. Still, once the machine is restarted, the driver is gone although now GeForce Experience remains. 

Is there some sort of way I could find and protect the driver so that windows doesn't have permission to remove it?

What are the chances that a different GPU will solve this issue?

Dell XPS 15 2-in-1 (9575) + Razer Core X Chroma + GTX 970 4GB

ReplyQuote