Setup & Software Discussions
NVIDIA GTX 1080 with PowerColor Devil Box (BootCamp) over TB3 -> TB2 adapter on ...

NVIDIA GTX 1080 with PowerColor Devil Box (BootCamp) over TB3 -> TB2 adapter on 2015 iMac 5K  

of  2
  RSS

itsmikerofl
(@itsmikerofl)
Trusted Member

Hi!

I've been lurking on eGPU.io for a long while, and I've finally got the change to start a thread.

When the 2016 MacBook Pro was released with Thunderbolt 3, it was my dream come true. I had been waiting for a Thunderbolt 3 MacBook for months, since the launch of Thunderbolt 3.

Sold my i7-6700K liquid cooled hackintosh, and went for the 2016 MacBook Pro 15". Loved it! Kept my GTX 1080, and waited for the eGPU.

After I read @itsage's work on comparing 2016 MacBook Pro models with a GTX 980 Ti Hybrid eGPU, I realized that the model of the 2016 MacBook Pro was independent from eGPU performance, even if the CPU is a dual-core i5, or a quad-core i7. This inspired me to exchange my 2016 MacBook Pro 15" for the 2016 MacBook Pro 13" with Touch Bar.

My PowerColor Devil Box had just arrived, and I was going to the Apple Store to get one of the LG UltraFine 5K Displays. Until I got there, and my brain hatched an idea...

I wanted a MacBook with Thunderbolt 3 to use an eGPU, both for on-the-go when I need it, and the power while at the desk.

When I looked at the LG UltraFine 5K Display, I realized, it wouldn't be a bad idea to use the 2016 iMac 5K with a Thunderbolt 3 -> Thunderbolt 2 adapter, (@itsage shows about a 5% decrease in performance when using Thunderbolt 3 -> Thunderbolt 2 with eGPU), and use a 12" MacBook for on-the-go.

Exchanged my 2016 MacBook Pro 13" Touch Bar for the base model 2016 MacBook 12", and the rest of the refund went to the 2016 iMac 5K that I'm picking up tomorrow.

TL;DR: (iPad + Hackintosh GTX 1080) -> (2016 MacBook Pro 15" + eGPU GTX 1080) -> (2016 MacBook Pro 13" Touch Bar + eGPU GTX 1080) -> (iMac 5K w/ eGPU + 12" MacBook)

I see there isn't much documentation on getting the iMac 5K running with an eGPU at this point in time, (only 1 thread on eGPU.io), so I'm looking for some pointers on where to even start, and how to minimize failures.

I realize that using the iMac with eGPU means it'll saturate the eGPU connection even more, because the output would be directed back at the internal display. I also have seen that people are experiencing problems with eGPUs on a machine that has a discrete GPU already. This was a benefit of using the 2016 MacBook Pro 13", in that respect.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
itsmikerofl
(@itsmikerofl)
Trusted Member

Picked up the 2015 5K iMac! My first iMac, so I had no clue how huge this box would be! http://imgur.com/a/fGmqR

These two look like they're just waiting for each other. http://imgur.com/a/7EmD0

Close up of the Devil Box:  http://imgur.com/a/flGBk

This thing is packed really well!  http://imgur.com/a/WPt4M

Now it's time to cram my EVGA GTX 1080 hybrid into it...  http://imgur.com/a/yIno4

http://imgur.com/a/09ylS

And it's able to squeeze it in! It's a miracle that this thing fits.

macOS sees the Devil Box, but does not see the GPU.

I've got BootCamp installed, but Device Manager reports the Devil Box as "Unknown Device", and has not attempted to install any kind of driver.

Clean shutdown. unplugged Thunderbolt cable from iMac. Boot into Recovery, and run "csrutil disable; reboot".

Rebooted into macOS, clean shutdown, plugged Thunderbolt cable, boot and attempted to run automate-egpu with the commands:

chmod +x automate-eGPU.sh

sudo ./automate-eGPU.sh

sudo ./automate-eGPU.sh -a -skip-web-driver-installation -skip agdc

The philosophy behind the options I used were that "-a" is recommended by goaque, "-skip adage" looks like it is required for 5K iMac install, (per this thread), and since I'm using a GTX 1080, that has no macOS Web Drivers, the "-skip-web-driver-installation" option. Please correct me if this is wrong.

The output that comes from those commands is as follows:

input1: sudo ./automate-eGPU.sh

output1: Thunderbolt device is connected, but no external GPUs detected.

input2: sudo ./automate-eGPU.sh -a -skip-web-driver-installation -skip agdc

output2: Application support path not found. Please install automate-eGPU first.

If anyone can give me some pointers, I'd be ecstatic... GTX 1080 sitting here just begging to be used!

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin

@itsmikerofl:

The script doesn't support multiple options.

There is no such option as "-skip-web-driver-installation". It is "-skip-web-driver". Please read from the GitHub:

Skip Nvidia Web driver installation (for Kepler cards).

Only for the Kepler cards. GTX 1080 doesn't work.

automate-eGPU EFIapple_set_os.efi
--
2018 13" MacBook Pro + Radeon [email protected] + Win10 1809

ReplyQuote
itsmikerofl
(@itsmikerofl)
Trusted Member

Posted by: nando4

To get eGPU detection, you need to flash the new just-released DevilBox firmware. Grab it at:
https://www.reddit.com/r/eGPU/comments/5w2npj/fresh_devilbox_firmware_update/

Hi nando64! Thanks got the quick reply. Ran the Thunderbolt Firmware Update Utility, got this result:

Error: 0x208 SDK_SERVICE_NOT_FOUND Thunderbolt(TM) service doesn't exist

Thunderbolt Firmware Update Utility implies I need Thunderbolt Firmware already installed... Do I need Thunderbolt firmware installed beforehand?

ReplyQuote
itsmikerofl
(@itsmikerofl)
Trusted Member

Posted by: goalque

@itsmikerofl:

The script doesn't support multiple options.

There is no such option as "-skip-web-driver-installation". It is "-skip-web-driver". Please read from the GitHub:

Skip Nvidia Web driver installation (for Kepler cards).

Only for the Kepler cards. GTX 1080 doesn't work.

Thanks for your reply, goalque, and for the hard work you've put into this script!

Didn't notice that the "-skip-web-driver" line was only for Kepler, my bad. I didn't realize that more than one option wasn't supported at one time. Noted.

Will get the Devil Box firmware updated first, then redo the script correctly. Thanks again for the help.

goalque liked
ReplyQuote
itsmikerofl
(@itsmikerofl)
Trusted Member

Reinstalled from Windows 10 Education to Windows 10 Pro.

Still getting:

Error: 0x208 SDK_SERVICE_NOT_FOUND Thunderbolt(TM) service doesn't exist

http://imgur.com/a/I52p9

I'm thinking that this is possibly due to the fact that I'm running it through the Thunderbolt 2 -> Thunderbolt 3 adapter, although, Razer Core, AKiTiO Node, and AKiTiO Thunder 3 work through the adapter on a Thunderbolt 2 device.

ReplyQuote
nmzik
(@nmzik)
Eminent Member

Are you sure that you have latest Intel Thunderbolt Software installed? You can download it here

MacBook Pro Late 2013 15" MacBook Pro GT750M + Sapphire Pulse RX580@16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (AKiTiO Node)

ReplyQuote
itsmikerofl
(@itsmikerofl)
Trusted Member

Posted by: nmzik

Are you sure that you have latest Intel Thunderbolt Software installed? You can download it here

I do not. I've been looking around for it without success. Thanks!!!

Will report back once I install.

ReplyQuote
Daelin
(@daelin)
Trusted Member

i have the same issues with a macbook pro early 2013. installing the newest TB software brought me one step forward. now the attatched error message appears that the devil box was not found. ( i tried to hotplug it as well as to plug it in before booting)

Capture

argh i think this wont work on bootcamp. this happens when i try to open the thunderbolt software directly:

Capture2

MacBook Pro 15" 2017, AMD RP560
Devil Box + MSI GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

Bricked thanks to rEFInd:
MacBook Pro 15" Late 2013, GT 750M

ReplyQuote
DANgerous25
(@danfalconar)
Estimable Member

Posted by: Daelin

i have the same issues with a macbook pro early 2013. installing the newest TB software brought me one step forward. now the attatched error message appears that the devil box was not found. ( i tried to hotplug it as well as to plug it in before booting)

Same issue for me @Daelin, installing the Intel TB drivers from the link in nmzik's post also got me one step closer. Still I get the same error. I'd love to flash my Node (pardon the expression), as maybe the upgraded firmware makes it much easier to install in Windows 10 bootcamp!

@itsmikerofl - welcome to the 5k club, although I'm strugging to see what you're going to do with it given that your card isn't supported in MacOS (unless I'm very much mistaken). Or if your idea is just to use bootcamp, then great. Good luck, I'll wait to see how you did it. It took my best part of 5 days to get it working with my 13" MBP+TB and that's still very flakey.

late-2017 27" iMac Pro RPVega64 + [email protected] (AKiTiO Node) + MacOS 10.13.2
late-2014 27" iMac 5k R9 M295X + [email protected] (AKiTiO Node via TB3->TB2 adapter) + macOS10.13 & Win10

ReplyQuote
itsmikerofl
(@itsmikerofl)
Trusted Member

Capture

argh i think this wont work on bootcamp. this happens when i try to open the thunderbolt software directly:

Capture2

Hi! I think I saw you on Reddit... 🤔

Anyhow, after installing aforementioned Thunderbolt firmware, can confirm I also get this error that the Devil Box was not found. It's strange, because macOS sees the Devil Box, and BootCamp detects it as an "Unknown device".

It's definitely related to using a Thunderbolt 2 -> Thunderbolt 3 adapter with the Devil Box though, because it usually works great on Thunderbolt 3 machines.

ReplyQuote
itsmikerofl
(@itsmikerofl)
Trusted Member

Posted by: DANgerous25

Same issue for me @Daelin, installing the Intel TB drivers from the link in nmzik's post also got me one step closer. Still I get the same error. I'd love to flash my Node (pardon the expression), as maybe the upgraded firmware makes it much easier to install in Windows 10 bootcamp!

@itsmikerofl - welcome to the 5k club, although I'm strugging to see what you're going to do with it given that your card isn't supported in MacOS (unless I'm very much mistaken). Or if your idea is just to use bootcamp, then great. Good luck, I'll wait to see how you did it. It took my best part of 5 days to get it working with my 13" MBP+TB and that's still very flakey.

Hey Dan! How's your Node working with your 5K iMac? Haven't checked your thread recently.

You're correct, there are no drivers for the NVIDIA 10-series cards on macOS. For my intents, the built-in dGPU aid sufficient in macOS, but I do need the GTX 1080 working in BootCamp.

Unfortunately, I can confirm the same "Devil Box not found" error after installing Thunderbolt firmware, and attempting to use the update utility. My guess is that it's a Thunderbolt 2 (root device) -> Thunderbolt 3 (peripheral device) issue, maybe the Devil Box can't be seen past the adapter... Which it should be. The Node does it, so it's possible.

I emailed PowerColor tech support, as well as messaged them on FaceBook.

If I can't get the Devil Box working via Thunderbolt 2 -> Thunderbolt 3 adapter on the 5K iMac by next Friday, I'm exchanging my 2015 5K iMac 27" + 2016 MacBook 12" for a 2016 non-TouchBar MacBook Pro 13" + LG 5K Display.

ReplyQuote
Daelin
(@daelin)
Trusted Member

see DANgerous25 post here. it is not a adapter problem, it is a bootcamp problem! 

i'm just wondering if it is possible to install windows without bootcamp on the macbook, or if i have to find someone with a native TB3 windows machine...

ReplyQuote
itsmikerofl
(@itsmikerofl)
Trusted Member

see DANgerous25 post here. it is not a adapter problem, it is a bootcamp problem! 

i'm just wondering if it is possible to install windows without bootcamp on the macbook, or if i have to find someone with a native TB3 windows machine...

Interesting. I guess I saw the reviews of the Devil Box working over Thunderbolt 3 and assumed the new January 2017 revision worked... but it must be the older 2016 revision that works hassle-free over Thunderbolt 3. 

Not really sure where to go with my setup now - as 2015 iMac 5K 27" (Thunderbolt 2), nor 2016 MacBook Pro (Thunderbolt 3) - are working in BootCamp with the Devil Box.

ReplyQuote
Daelin
(@daelin)
Trusted Member

Posted by: itsmikerofl   

Interesting. I guess I saw the reviews of the Devil Box working over Thunderbolt 3 and assumed the new January 2017 revision worked... but it must be the older 2016 revision that works hassle-free over Thunderbolt 3. 

Not really sure where to go with my setup now - as 2015 iMac 5K 27" (Thunderbolt 2), nor 2016 MacBook Pro (Thunderbolt 3) - are working in BootCamp with the Devil Box.

i think we "just" have to install the new firmware using another computer and then it hopefully works on our macs as expected. at least i hope so 🙂

ReplyQuote
itsmikerofl
(@itsmikerofl)
Trusted Member

i think we "just" have to install the new firmware using another computer and then it hopefully works on our macs as expected. at least i hope so 🙂

That makes sense... Looks like the folks on the Reddit thread have got the Thunderbolt firmware update working through Windows PCs.

But I don't have a single other Thunderbolt device, be it 1, 2, or Thunderbolt 3... So either we're waiting for PowerColor to release a proper set of updates, or, like you said, just have to find a way to update the Devil Box on a Thunderbolt equipped Windows PC.

ReplyQuote
DANgerous25
(@danfalconar)
Estimable Member

Hi @itsmikerofl,

For the moment I've given up on the iMac 5k with the eGPU. Here's the situation with it:

• MacOS Sierra: Easy to install, accelerates my external Dell 4k monitor without problems, however reduces my iMac screen itself to 4k non-retina resolution (which just doesn't look that great).
  • Win10 Bootcamp: I only tried once and got the famous error 12. It took me a lot of effort to fix error 12 on my late 2016 13" MBP+TB, and even then it doesn't work perfectly like it does in MacOS. I don't have the time and motivation to do the same for my iMac when ultimately I don't use Windows much.

If I can't get the Devil Box working via Thunderbolt 2 -> Thunderbolt 3 adapter on the 5K iMac by next Friday, I'm exchanging my 2015 5K iMac 27" + 2016 MacBook 12" for a 2016 non-TouchBar MacBook Pro 13" + LG 5K Display.

The iMac is a lovely machine, with much more powerful CPU than you'll get with the MBP. The screen is just spectacular IMHO. Obviously its lack of upgradeability is its major pitfall, but almost everything else about it is excellent for general home/office work. I'm sure someone is going to solve its issues with eGPU soon. If you can handle 4k res on the iMac screen, then it's a winner right now. Mind you, if your external screen is LG 5k, then maybe it will work perfectly? However one thing I would warn you about, if you are swapping for the MBP with the view to getting it to work in Windows BC. Be prepared to invest a lot of time into doing it, it might not work, and when it does it still might not behave exactly how you think it should.

Good luck and keep us posted!

late-2017 27" iMac Pro RPVega64 + [email protected] (AKiTiO Node) + MacOS 10.13.2
late-2014 27" iMac 5k R9 M295X + [email protected] (AKiTiO Node via TB3->TB2 adapter) + macOS10.13 & Win10

ReplyQuote
itsmikerofl
(@itsmikerofl)
Trusted Member

Posted by: DANgerous25

The iMac is a lovely machine, with much more powerful CPU than you'll get with the MBP. The screen is just spectacular IMHO. Obviously its lack of upgradeability is its major pitfall, but almost everything else about it is excellent for general home/office work. I'm sure someone is going to solve its issues with eGPU soon. If you can handle 4k res on the iMac screen, then it's a winner right now. Mind you, if your external screen is LG 5k, then maybe it will work perfectly? However one thing I would warn you about, if you are swapping for the MBP with the view to getting it to work in Windows BC. Be prepared to invest a lot of time into doing it, it might not work, and when it does it still might not behave exactly how you think it should.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Thanks for the encouragement! 😁

I'm really at a fork in the road here. I definitely do realize that the 2015 iMac 5K 27", having a quad-core CPU, is much more raw power than the 2016 non-TouchBar MacBook Pro 13". It is worth noting that @itsage found that the 2016 MacBook Pro line, whether 13" non-TouchBar, (dual-core i5), or 15" TouchBar, (quad-core i7), the performance delta with the Thunderbolt 3 eGPU was incredibly marginal.

It is also shown in that post, that the performance delta from Thunderbolt 2 machines to Thunderbolt 3 machines was, again, marginal. It was this philosophy that prompted me to abandon my 2016 MacBook Pro with Touch Bar + eGPU route in the first place.

Now that I've switched to trying the 2015 iMac 5K 27" + eGPU, and 2016 MacBook 12", we have unfortunately established that the Devil Box isn't working with BootCamp over the Thunderbolt 3 -> Thunderbolt 2 adapter. 😔

So, in my opinion, these are the most financially viable options from here:

1. 2016 non-TouchBar MacBook Pro 13" with eGPU + LG UltraFine 5K Display, or
  2. Hold my horses and wait for the "Spring 2017" iMac refresh. All signs point to Thunderbolt 3.

Honestly, looking at the way things are going, it wouldn't really make sense to invest in a 2015 iMac right now, (in hindsight, of course), seeing as the iMac should be getting a refresh at least sometime in 2017.

Really, if I'm feeling impatient, I might give the Devil Box + EVGA GTX 1080 Hybrid a shot with BootCamp on a 2016 non-TouchBar MacBook Pro 13", until the iMac is refreshed with Thunderbolt 3. I'd take a hit when I sell it in order to go back to an iMac + 12" MacBook, but IMHO, that's nowhere near the hit I'd take if I kept a 2015 iMac 5K 27" right before the release of a 2017 iMac.

Will keep you all in the loop regarding which path I take. Either way, eGPU's will be required!

ReplyQuote
itsmikerofl
(@itsmikerofl)
Trusted Member

PowerColor has responded to my Tech Support email with a statement regarding Apple computers:

IMG 0740

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
Daelin
(@daelin)
Trusted Member

hey guys,

i just ordered a skull canyon and flashed the new firmware to the devil box.

and guess what: it is working with my MBP early 2013!

the firmware of the devil box is still reported as 23.1... but it's working 🙂

right now i just tried macOS but i will try it with windows very soon (right now)
EDIT: woha, windows works out of the box, really unexpected!

ReplyQuote
enjoy
(@enjoy)
Reputable Member

1. 2016 non-TouchBar MacBook Pro 13" with eGPU + LG UltraFine 5K Display

This is what you need, do it, you will have only -20% performance drop of your 1080 with that setup more info:  https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/pcie-slot-dgpu-vs-thunderbolt-3-egpu-internal-display-test/

or with other words:

• using EXTERNAL DISPLAY will give you ~20% performance drop on Thunderbolt3 if you use 2016 non-TouchBar MacBook Pro 13
  • using INTERNAL DISPLAY will give you ~43% performance drop on Thunderbolt2 if you use iMac

+ You can also use your INTERNAL DISPLAY on your 2016 non-TouchBar MacBook Pro 13 with  ~33% performance drop if you want too!

You know what to do 🙂

ϟ AKiTiO Thunder2 + EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SC Gaming (macOS Sierra 10.12.4 and Windows 10)
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Later 2013) 3.2GHz Quad Core Intel i7-4750HQ / 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 / 256GB SSD + 1TB
mini eGPUPCI Express vs. ThunderboltMac CAN gameGaming Laptops vs. MacBook Pro with eGPU

ReplyQuote
itsmikerofl
(@itsmikerofl)
Trusted Member

hey guys,

i just ordered a skull canyon and flashed the new firmware to the devil box.

and guess what: it is working with my MBP early 2013!

the firmware of the devil box is still reported as 23.1... but it's working 🙂

right now i just tried macOS but i will try it with windows very soon (right now)
EDIT: woha, windows works out of the box, really unexpected!

Hi,

So this confirms my suspicion of it being a Thunderbolt 2 -> Thunderbolt 3 related issue.

On an extremely related note...

I just exchanged my 2015 iMac 5K 27" (Thunderbolt 2) + 2016 MacBook 12" for the 2016 non-TouchBar MacBook Pro 13".

My PowerColor Devil Box is seen immediately upon connection to the Thunderbolt 3 port, and moreover, the GTX 1080 is also recognized.

I am currently installing the NVIDIA Drivers for it, and will report back.

ReplyQuote
itsmikerofl
(@itsmikerofl)
Trusted Member

After installing the latest NVIDIA drivers from their website, I am seeing Code 12 in Device Manager, under "NVIDIA GTX 1080" properties.

ReplyQuote
enjoy
(@enjoy)
Reputable Member

Perform a DSDT override to allow eGPU allocation in 36-bit space

Reported by several 2016 MBP owners as fixing their error 12:

Do the bridge reallocation in (2) if still see error 12.

ϟ AKiTiO Thunder2 + EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SC Gaming (macOS Sierra 10.12.4 and Windows 10)
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Later 2013) 3.2GHz Quad Core Intel i7-4750HQ / 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 / 256GB SSD + 1TB
mini eGPUPCI Express vs. ThunderboltMac CAN gameGaming Laptops vs. MacBook Pro with eGPU

ReplyQuote
itsmikerofl
(@itsmikerofl)
Trusted Member

Posted by: enjoy

Perform a DSDT override to allow eGPU allocation in 36-bit space

Reported by several 2016 MBP owners as fixing their error 12:

Do the bridge reallocation in (2) if still see error 12.

Thanks for pointing me to that guide, enjoy!  😁

After installing Clover to EFI of the USB, creating the DSDT.aml file, and placing it in the correct location outlined in the guide, Clover hangs at the following screen:

http://imgur.com/a/ISMcC

Welcome to Clover

... testing hardware ...

Did I create the DSDT.aml correctly? Or should I just leave it for longer? I've used Clover EFI Bootloader, and Clover Configurator before, but I've never seen this error.

ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin

Did you read the big red warning?

automate-eGPU EFIapple_set_os.efi
--
2018 13" MacBook Pro + Radeon [email protected] + Win10 1809

ReplyQuote
itsmikerofl
(@itsmikerofl)
Trusted Member

Did you read the big red warning?

I couldn't miss it; however, did not interpret that as a "just don't use Clover" instruction haha.

I'll give the DSDT Registry Override a shot once I get out of class.

ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin

ReplyQuote
itsmikerofl
(@itsmikerofl)
Trusted Member

It's still booing fine. It was just Clover that wasn't reading my partition map.

ReplyQuote
itsmikerofl
(@itsmikerofl)
Trusted Member

Great if your MBP did not become a brick 🙂

apple_set_os.efi is my number one:

https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/2016-macbook-pro-solving-egpu-error-12-in-windows-10/

goalque,

apple_set_os.efi referring to this post? It looks like that method keeps the iGPU enabled if there is an eGPU connected while in BootCamp. How does this resolve Code 12?

ReplyQuote
itsmikerofl
(@itsmikerofl)
Trusted Member

Alternatively, in performing the DSDT override, (shown here), is it advisable that I use the index of DSDT overrides, considering the DSDT listed for the 2016 MacBook Pro 13" with Touch Bar has a significantly different internal layout than the non-TouchBar variant?

Or am I better off using the modified DSDT I've created and attempted to use with Clover?

ReplyQuote
itsmikerofl
(@itsmikerofl)
Trusted Member

While everyone at eGPU.io must be busy watching NVIDIA @ GDC 2017, (GTX 1080 Ti FTW!), I managed to correctly apply the DSDT override to fix Device Manager's Code 12.

After a solid 5-minute boot, (as reported with the PowerColor Devil Box in @confidantduck's write-up here), Device Manager now reports the GTX 1080 as "working properly" on the 2016 MacBook Pro 13" (non-TouchBar). It should be noted that I am also not getting any sound output at this point.

To confirm this, I ran Unigine Valley benchmark for about 5 instances, and took a Benchmark. These were my settings:

API: OpenGL

8xAA

Quality: Ultra

Resolution: 2560x1600, (2016 MacBook Pro 13" native resolution @ 100%)

Monitor: Internal

Valley [Internal] <a title=GTX 1080 OpenGL 8xAA Ultra" title="Valley [Internal] GTX 1080 OpenGL 8xAA Ultra"/>

Running the EVGA GTX 1080 Hybrid through a PowerColor Devil Box @ 2560x1600, (keep in mind, internal screen causes performance drop over Thunderbolt 3), yields below 60FPS. If you keep the resolution at Retina, (200%), the EVGA GTX 1080 Hybrid yields a warm 90FPS easily.

Valley [Internal] <a title=GTX 1080 OpenGL 8xAA Ultra 1080p" title="Valley [Internal] GTX 1080 OpenGL 8xAA Ultra 1080p"/>

I will be ordering a NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti as soon as they become available, and we will be able to see just how much the Thunderbotl 3 eGPU performance turns into diminishing returns.

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

While everyone at eGPU.io must be busy watching NVIDIA @ GDC 2017, (GTX 1080 Ti FTW!), I managed to correctly apply the DSDT override to fix Device Manager’s Code 12.

After a solid 5-minute boot, (as reported with the PowerColor Devil Box in @confidantduck‘s write-up here), Device Manager now reports the GTX 1080 as “working properly”. It should be noted that I am also not getting any sound output at this point.

The DSDT override link you linked here  has the sound fix link at the bottom, which links to here.

Yes indeed, a first iMac eGPU implementation and looked a lot easier than I expected. Congratulations.

There has been mention of other iMac users considering an eGPU implementation as well.  Would you mind completing an implementation guide so those users could replicate your pioneering efforts with confidence?

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) (6th,4C,H) + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + macOS 10.13.6 & Win10

ReplyQuote
itsmikerofl
(@itsmikerofl)
Trusted Member

Posted by: nando4

While everyone at eGPU.io must be busy watching NVIDIA @ GDC 2017, (GTX 1080 Ti FTW!), I managed to correctly apply the DSDT override to fix Device Manager's Code 12.

After a solid 5-minute boot, (as reported with the PowerColor Devil Box in @confidantduck's write-up here), Device Manager now reports the GTX 1080 as "working properly". It should be noted that I am also not getting any sound output at this point.

The DSDT override link you linked here  has the sound fix link at the bottom, which links to here.

Yes indeed, a first iMac eGPU implementation and looked a lot easier than I expected. Congratulations.

There has been mention of other iMac users considering an eGPU implementation as well.  Would you mind completing an implementation guide so those users could replicate your pioneering efforts with confidence?

Nando,

Thank you for the compliments; however, I should clarify. After many failed attempts of using the PowerColor Devil Box with the 2015 iMac 5K 27", (via Thunderbolt 3 -> Thunderbolt 2 adapter), I chalked it up to the fact that the Devil Box cannot communicate via Thunderbolt 3 -> Thunderbolt 2.

Due to this, (figuring Thunderbolt 3 would recognize the Devil Box), today I went to the Apple Store and exchanged my 2015 iMac 5K 27" + 2016 MacBook 12" for the 2016 MacBook Pro 13", (non-TouchBar), base model with the dual-core i5-6360U CPU.

Upon connection in BootCamp, the Devil Box was recognized immediately, and it even displayed the GTX 1080 after Windows was done detecting it. Device Manager presented me with Code 12, at which time I began creating the modified DSDT and applying the DSDT override.

Once the override was complete, the GTX 1080 was fully functional, (although sound still needs fixing), on the 2016 MacBook Pro 13", (non-TouchBar).

ReplyQuote
enjoy
(@enjoy)
Reputable Member

@itsmikerofl

Can you run for me if you have time:

• Unigine Heaven Benchmark 4.0 with this setting with FULL HD 1080p 1920x1080  Resolution - one on Internal Display and one on External Display

• Unigine Heaven Benchmark 4.0 with this setting BUT WITH RETINA 2560×1600 RESOLUTION  - one on Internal Display and one on External Display

- 

I will use the results for my thread about - PCie vs. Thunderbolt - I want to post Macbook results on it 🙂

ReplyQuote
 of  2