Setup & Software Discussions
macOS Catalina - should eGPU Bootcampers update?

[Solved] macOS Catalina - should eGPU Bootcampers update?  

RSS

BenSea123
(@bensea123)

Hey guys, 

It's rumoured that OS X Catalina will be released later today. I currently have Bootcamp working nicely with my Razer Core X and 2080 Super - albeit having to pause updates in Windows 10 as the last round of updates stopped the EGPU working.

Anyway, my question is should I update to Catalina today? I spend most of my time on my Mac and would like some of the new features, but I don't want to break my working Bootcamp.

Thoughts?

This topic was modified 1 month ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

The GM build was available last week so I don’t think the public will get official release today. Many of us have been using Catalina Beta builds without much trouble regarding eGPU in Boot Camp. Latest Windows 10 1903 updates are another issue as you found.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use | eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
BenSea123
(@bensea123)

@itsage

It's just been released now. Wondering if anyone running GM has had any trouble? I'm downloading now so just going to give it a go...

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@bensea123 Thank you for letting us know. This feels rushed to me but it means we’ll see 10.15.1 Beta soon. Looking forward to seeing Navi drivers!

This post was modified 1 month ago

ReplyQuote
BenSea123
(@bensea123)

@itsage

I have a Vega 56 egpu for editing work in OSX, and a 2080 Super for Bootcamp gaming. Will report back on both... (Macbook Pro 15 inch 2018 with 560x)

ReplyQuote
BenSea123
(@bensea123)

@itsage

Sorry to say that whilst Catlina is working great for eGPU work in OS-X, it's broken my Bootcamp with EGPU. 

Holding option and booting into Windows works without a problem if I don't use the eGPU, but if I plug in the EGPU (Core X Chroma and 2080 SUPER) and hold option, it won't get past the initial Apple logo and doesn't give me the option to choose Windows. 

I've never had this problem before, but will dig into the latest setup guides unless anyone has any advice?

ReplyQuote
ttamnogard
(@ttamnogard)
Trusted Member

Following. Was going to do a rebuild to see if it mattered... but I have everything running so perfectly right now...

2018 Mac mini running Radeon vii

ReplyQuote
siyuanchu
(@siyuanchu)

@itsage

It works as before. But it still makes the system fail if you plug in the eGPU before Windows boots. Given the frustration of Mac experience with NVIDIA cards and weak ray tracing of 2060, I might go for an AMD5700 after macOS supports it. Thanks for the summary though!

@bensea123

My setup might be drastically different with yours, but you might try to plug eGPU at the moment the dots start rotating under Windows flag when Windows booting up. It works for me, I am using Windows To Go on external hard drive.

MacBook Pro 15 inch 2017 RX560
Mantiz Venus
AMD Radeon 5700XT
macOS 10.15.1
Windows To Go 1809
Sandisk Ultra SSD 480GB

ReplyQuote
chocomonsters
(@chocomonsters)
Eminent Member

@bensea123

Same issue here.  I was able to boot with eGPU connected before.  

Now I have to hot plug after selecting windows boot drive.   

MacBook Pro 15" 2018
MSI Ge Force RTX 2080
Akitio Node
Windows 10 1903 / Akitio Node Lite / Samsung SSD 970 EVO

ReplyQuote
DayosS
(@dayoss)

I updated my Macbook Pro 2017 (non touch-bar) to Catalina and now I have a black screen when I try to boot on windows 10 (the egpu is working but nothing on the screen). But if I boot without the eGPU it's working great !

So I tried to uninstall my AMD driver for the RX580 but after I re-installed that, the problem persists...

If anyone could help me, I would be grateful to him.

ReplyQuote
RyC
 RyC
(@ryc)

I've got another report encountering the same issue as a few of the users above.

MacBook Pro 15in (2019)

RTX 2060

Razer Core X

If the eGPU is plugged in at boot, the option-key boot menu will not show up and I'm stuck at the Apple logo. If I leave the eGPU unplugged at boot and reach the boot menu, plugging in the eGPU will immediately freeze the boot menu, and the boot partition cannot actually be selected. 

If I have the eGPU attached at boot and the Bootcamp partition blessed to bypass the boot menu (via Startup Disk in macOS), I get stuck at a white spinning circle against a black screen that I haven't seen before, and I suspect is new in Catalina. 

If I have the eGPU attached at boot but blessed to boot into macOS, it boots successfully (but since I have an RTX GPU it doesn't do anything).

I can also confirm that hot plugging the eGPU once Windows is booted does still work, but make sure to watch out for the code 12 hot plug error everyone's running into currently ( https://egpu.io/forums/pc-setup/egpu-fail-after-update-to-windows-19-03/

I reset the PRAM and SMC which didn't improve anything. Having to hot plug is a little annoying (especially with the code 12 error on the latest Windows 1903 builds), but it at least works for now. Hopefully a future Catalina update fixes the eGPU at boot when getting into the option-key boot menu and also Bootcamp.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

I have noticed and seen reports of RTX series graphics cards having firmware compatibility with Macs. There’s something very different in the RTX cards firmware because they can provide boot screen for the Mac Pro tower. It’s likely Mac firmware installed during Catalina system update is now clashing with RTX firmware at preboot. One workaround is to wait until Windows fully boots then hot-plug the RTX eGPU. 2018 and 2019 Macs should be able to use Nvidia eGPU through hot-plug in Boot Camp.

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Prominent Member

@itsage

Seems to me the RTX firmware feature was an F-U from Nvidia to Apple - to make a superior graphics card that has a boot screen for old Macs so Mac Pro owners would complain more to Apple about missing Nvidia drivers. Now Apple responds with an F-U to Nvidia with Catalina. I might be confusing malice with something else though - maybe Apple didn't do it on purpose...
https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanlon%27s_razor
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanlon%27s_razor

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
BenSea123
(@bensea123)

@ryc

thanks for your help - I can confirm that by hot-plugging during the Windows logo I'm back up and running RTX 2080 super bootcamp on MacBook Pro 15 inch 2018. 

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@joevt There’s definitely a pissing contest going on. It’s a mix of bad blood from past dealings and stubbornness on both sides. I recall Nvidia was making a powerplay in 2013 by announcing it would offer Kepler and future GPU IP to 3rd parties. They approached Apple and other hardware makers but everyone told them No because their licensing costs and terms were out of line. Nvidia proceeded to sue Samsung and Qualcomm but avoided Apple for good reasons. Apple started their in-house GPU development. They have been going vertical aggressively in the past five years.

Meanwhile AMD was going through a leadership transition and ended up benefiting from Apple’s beef with Nvidia. They needed business now and couldn’t care less if Apple ditches them once the in-house GPUs are ready. AMD focused on their own strengths and that strategy has paid off handsomely in the past couple of years. As long as AMD remains a committed supplier with cost efficient dGPUs, Apple will take their time switching to in-house components. Microsoft refuses to join Thunderbolt pack is drama for another day. 😆 

ReplyQuote
ttamnogard
(@ttamnogard)
Trusted Member

@itsage

brilliant summary, well done

I am sticking with AMD until such a time as it becomes more convenient to switch. Moreover, while I am play testing the 5700 xt for fun the vii is perfect as it has the power to game and the flexibility to just be left plugged in to run my mac.

As the Catalina upgrade has not been great (reading both on reddit and here), I will remain at Mojave... it's perfect and the hot switch ability is not critical to me... 

2018 Mac mini running Radeon vii

ReplyQuote
(@kubo_yashiharu)
Eminent Member

Posted by: @ttamnogard

@itsage

brilliant summary, well done

I am sticking with AMD until such a time as it becomes more convenient to switch. Moreover, while I am play testing the 5700 xt for fun the vii is perfect as it has the power to game and the flexibility to just be left plugged in to run my mac.

As the Catalina upgrade has not been great (reading both on reddit and here), I will remain at Mojave... it's perfect and the hot switch ability is not critical to me... 

Can you see the boot screen without direct connect from mac mini to monitor?

even i upgraded to catalina, i still have to connect the mac mini to the monitor with a hdmi cable for the boot selection screen

MacBook Pro mid-2014, MacOS 10.13.6, Akitio Node, Rx580
purge-wrangler, purge-nvda, SwitchResX, iStat

ReplyQuote
chocomonsters
(@chocomonsters)
Eminent Member

@itsage

Agree.  My Akitio eGPU boots up fine into Windows 10 plugged in, if I remove RTX 2080 card.  Clearly it is related to RTX card's firmware's interaction during pre-boot.

MacBook Pro 15" 2018
MSI Ge Force RTX 2080
Akitio Node
Windows 10 1903 / Akitio Node Lite / Samsung SSD 970 EVO

ReplyQuote
Squuiid
(@squuiid)

Posted by: @chocomonsters

@itsage

Agree.  My Akitio eGPU boots up fine into Windows 10 plugged in, if I remove RTX 2080 card.  Clearly it is related to RTX card's firmware's interaction during pre-boot.

Yeah. My GTX 1080 on the other hand now has boot screens and even gets to the point of displaying the macOS desktop for only a second when booting Catalina.

Goes to show that Apple could have made this work long ago had they actually wanted to.

Mac mini 2018, i7 3.2GHz 6c, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 10GbE, Sonnet eGFX + NVIDIA GTX 1080FE, macOS Catalina
Mac Pro 2010, X5690 3.46GHz 6c, 64GB RAM, Amfeltec 3x XP941 512GB, Sapphire Pulse RX 580 8GB, Intel X540-T1 10GbE, Allegro Pro USB 3.0, AC/BT 4.2, macOS Mojave

ReplyQuote
Rycco
(@rycco)
Reputable Member

My setup:
Macbook pro 2018 i9 + RTX 2080ti + Razer Core X

I just update to Catalina. Now on Bootcamp I can't plug the eGPU before anymore. I have to wait for windows to load to hot plug it. Also, if I use the eGPU connected to the left side, and a Thunderbolt 3 dock on the right side. When I connect the dock after the eGPU, it immediately restarts 🙁 I was just able to use both by plugging in first the dock, then hotpluging the eGPU. If you don't need Catalina, I wouldn't upgrade.

mid-2017 15" Macbook Pro RP555 + [email protected] (Mantiz Venus) + macOS & Win10

ReplyQuote