Problems with ThinkPad P1 Gen 3 + Razer Core X + Sapphire Pulse RX 580

Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] Problems with ThinkPad P1 Gen 3 + Razer Core X + Sapphire Pulse RX 580  

RSS

no-cheating
(@no-cheating)

I have recently gotten me the following setup:

• ThinkPad P1 Gen 3: i7 10850H, 16GB RAM, only Intel iGPU, Windows 10
  • Razer Core X
  • Sapphire Pulse RX 580 8GB
  • Newest Radeon 21.2.2 drivers

The setup connects fine - Windows sees the external GPU and installs appropriate drivers. But I'm having some problems with the performance. FPS in some games is lower than expected and my sound and the whole display stutters in a very irritating way. Over time the performance drops even more and the stuttering increases.

I tried putting 2 other GPU-s into Razer Core X: GTX 960 and GTX 1060. None of them showed any problems - the FPS were normal and there was no stuttering.

I also plugged my RX 580 into a friend's PC. There were no issues then - the performance was high and there was no stuttering.

So it seems:

• The problems are present only with some cards (RX 580) and not with the Razer Core X enclosure in general.
  • The problematic card (RX 580) is fine, because it works totally fine in another setup.

Do you have any idea on what could be the problem, and/or how to debug it?

This topic was modified 10 months ago
2020 15" Lenovo ThinkPad P1 Gen 3 [10th,6C,H] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 20H2 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Topic Tags
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin
Builds: 155

@no-cheating, The latest Radeon drivers have inconsistent performance in eGPU. I'd recommend uninstalling the 21.2.2 version you have and manually install 20.4.2. I've found that to be the last stable version for eGPU use.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2021 14" Microsoft Surface Laptop Studio [11th,4C,H] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (WD_Black D50) + Win11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
no-cheating
(@no-cheating)

Posted by: @itsage

@no-cheating, The latest Radeon drivers have inconsistent performance in eGPU. I'd recommend uninstalling the 21.2.2 version you have and manually install 20.4.2. I've found that to be the last stable version for eGPU use.

Big thank you! Downgrading to 20.4.2 fixed everything. You're my savior. I'd been trying to fix this problem for 2 weeks without any success. I was almost decided on buying myself a new video card.

2020 15" Lenovo ThinkPad P1 Gen 3 [10th,6C,H] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 20H2 [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin
Builds: 155

@no-cheating, Good to have another confirmation of new drivers being the culprit. It's really disappointing how AMD has gradually regressed in eGPU driver support.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2021 14" Microsoft Surface Laptop Studio [11th,4C,H] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (WD_Black D50) + Win11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
no-cheating
(@no-cheating)

@itsage Hope they'll get it fixed soon!

ReplyQuote