problem with Razer Core X Chroma + Razer Blade Stealth 2018: eGPU requires reboo...

Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] problem with Razer Core X Chroma + Razer Blade Stealth 2018: eGPU requires reboot before external monitors detected  

RSS

thurstonsand
(@thurstonsand)

I just purchased the Razer Core X Chroma and Razer Blade Stealth 2018 (mx150) and stuck an NVidia GTX 2070 in the enclosure.

I have 2 external monitors hooked up to the eGPU, and my primary usage is to have the laptop closed, and working on the external monitors. I've found that if I unplug the laptop from the eGPU, and plug it back in, the laptop will NOT output to the external monitors, although it will connect any USB devices (mouse, keyboard, etc) plugged into the Core X Chroma. I can only get the laptop to output to the external monitors if I leave the eGPU plugged in and reboot.

I contacted Razer to ask if that's expected behavior, and a tech there tried the same thing with in-house hardware and found the same results.

My question is: 

is this the case for all laptops/eGPUs? I thought it would've been plug-and-play, and it's honestly very annoying that I have to reboot my computer every time I plug it in to get it to output to my monitors.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

This is likely due to recent Windows 10 security updates. Hot-plug behavior and handling of PCIe components have been spotty. You can try rolling back to an early OS Build as detailed in this thread.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

atlr liked
ReplyQuote
thurstonsand
(@thurstonsand)

Interesting, so I just got really unlucky timing then, it seems like.

So I assume you'd also expect a future update to resolve this problem such that plug-and-play will work again?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote