RSS

M0tzeRella
(@m0tzerella)

Hello everybody!

I have the following configuration:
Macbook Pro 2017 13" TB 16GB Ram
Razer Core X.
Radeon RX480

I know the video card is not the latest, but I wanted to try it anyway on Bootcamp. (macOS works with Plug and Play)

I first tried plug and play on Windows. With original drivers, older drivers and drivers from Bootcampdrivers.com. (nothing works, no picture on the external monitor and Error12).

Then I tried to put apple_set_os.efi on a 80mb partiotion and boot over it. First, I saw a picture on the external monitor for about 5 seconds, then a blue screen on the internal. (Blue screen with white artifacts)

Then I tried that. (not working)

Then via an USB stick. (not working )

And finally about automate- eGPU EFI.

I also tried to reallocate the PCI ports of the video card. Also unsuccessful.

All this, of course, always with a clean Windows version, via recovery points. Also with different thunderbolt ports. (left & right).

I hope I opened the topic in the right forum and thank you for your help!

This topic was modified 1 year ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member Moderator

Oh hai. 
I have the same MacBook and most AMD cards work roughly the same. They can be a real pain but read though one of my builds and you should be good. 
Im currently hot plugging and using the efi bootloader.

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
M0tzeRella
(@m0tzerella)

Thank you for the quick reply! I will try after the weekend. You mean rEFInd and apple_set_os_.efi by saying “efi bootloader“, right?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member Moderator

Nope, I mean this little bad boy... EFI Bootloader

Sometimes rEFInd works, sometimes it boots and doesn't detect the card and I have to restart and it works a second time. Other times it doesn't work no matter how many times I reboot so I fall back to using the EFI Bootloader and hot-lugging the second I select "Windows" boot.

I think my issues are compounded by having 2 TB3 peripherals, you may not have the same detection issues.

---

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
M0tzeRella
(@m0tzerella)

Okay, I've already tried this little bad boy. Unfortunately without success. However, I had already connected the eGPU at boot time.

Then I'll try it with hot-plugging 😉

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

@m0tzerella

I would very like you to try this bootcamp guide.
The important step is a "0. fresh Windows 10 installation 1803 or newer". You results will be intriguing. Thank you!

(PS: I love motzerella, best paired with small tomatoes, that's cliché, but a good one)

This post was modified 1 year ago

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

2018 15" MacBook Pro (RP560X) [8th,6C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Station Pro) + Win10 & macOS 10.15.4 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
M0tzeRella
(@m0tzerella)

@OliverB

I have already tried that, but unfortunately not successful. But I do not want to rule out that I made a mistake while doing so.

You have a very good taste! 😉

ReplyQuote
M0tzeRella
(@m0tzerella)

@eightarmedpet

I had time to test the Efi bootloader again.

I have done the following:
-Windows restored so that only original Amd drivers were installed
-turned off the Mac
-Efi bootloader connected via USB
-Turned on Mac
-Efi selected
- "Load Windows" selected and graphics card hot-plugged
→ Error 12

Same procedure again, but this time when selecting the bootloader hot-plugged. → Error 12

Then restarted and selected Windows without the boot loader. Graphics card hot-plugged in exactly this second → Error 12

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member Moderator

@m0tzerella morning buddy...

So, I'm in a foul mood today, had an eve and morning of reinstalling Windows - trying 1903 twice and having nothing but problems when I plugged in my eGPU which resulted in multiple BSOD and eventually a corrupt Windows instal.
Then my macOS/partitioning got messed up and I wasn't even able t0 reinstall W10.
So reinstalled macOS.
Repair permissions from recovery.
Hopefully by the time I get home I will have a clean instal of 1809 upgraded from 1603 (which has so far been the only way mine works).

So, just to be super super clear because this can be a pain and one tiny tiny change can result in a shit show, hopefully this will also work again for me when I try this eve if not then its Macbook out the window time.

1. After usual and all updates run boot to windows with nothing plugged in.
2. Plug in eGPU and run Bootcamp driver instal. (I haven't had to use DDU previously, but have used it at times and it doesn't effect my set top much unless I'm switching between GPUs).
3. Restart.
4. Boot EFI Bootloader, select Q, select Windows and the very second I select Windows I plug in the eGPU.

and/or

1. Restart into macOS, set macOS as your primary boot drive, instal rEFInd, boot to check rEFInd is working and all good.
2. In macOS (from rEFInd boot) plug in eGPU and check its working.
3. Rebbott.
4. in rEFInd select Windows (do not unplug any cable at any point).
Get to Windows desktop and check if it's working.

if not-

5. Unplug and replug in eGPU and then reboot, going through rEFInd again and booting into windows.

if that doesnt work.

1. Get really angry, punch a cat.
2. Reboot using EFI boot loader as per above.

OR

1. Buy a Nvidia card and enjoy no error 12, easier set up but no macOS support.

Are you able to reboot in macOS from Bootcamp assist menu? I have never been able (macOS boot not found) although it worked fine when I had a Mini briefly.

This post was modified 1 year ago

---

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@eightarmedpet Stay away from Windows 1903 for the time being. I tried it this past weekend on my 2017 13" MBP. While the upgrade to 1903 as well as clean install went great, Radeon driver installation would crash Windows then send the system to an infinite boot loop. I tried it three times with different versions of Radeon drivers and BootCampdrivers.com and they all ended up the same.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
 of  3