Setup & Software Discussions
Problems with 13" MacBook Pro 2017 and Core X with Radeon RX480 o...

Problems with 13" MacBook Pro 2017 and Core X with Radeon RX480 on Bootcamp  

RSS

M0tzeRella
(@m0tzerella)
Jun 7, 2019 5:58 pm  

Hello everybody!

I have the following configuration:
Macbook Pro 2017 13" TB 16GB Ram
Razer Core X.
Radeon RX480

I know the video card is not the latest, but I wanted to try it anyway on Bootcamp. (macOS works with Plug and Play)

I first tried plug and play on Windows. With original drivers, older drivers and drivers from Bootcampdrivers.com. (nothing works, no picture on the external monitor and Error12).

Then I tried to put apple_set_os.efi on a 80mb partiotion and boot over it. First, I saw a picture on the external monitor for about 5 seconds, then a blue screen on the internal. (Blue screen with white artifacts)

Then I tried that. (not working)

Then via an USB stick. (not working )

And finally about automate- eGPU EFI.

I also tried to reallocate the PCI ports of the video card. Also unsuccessful.

All this, of course, always with a clean Windows version, via recovery points. Also with different thunderbolt ports. (left & right).

I hope I opened the topic in the right forum and thank you for your help!

This topic was modified 3 weeks ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

ReplyQuote
M0tzeRella
(@m0tzerella)
Jun 8, 2019 3:21 pm  

Thank you for the quick reply! I will try after the weekend. You mean rEFInd and apple_set_os_.efi by saying “efi bootloader“, right?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member
Jun 8, 2019 5:43 pm  

Nope, I mean this little bad boy... EFI Bootloader

Sometimes rEFInd works, sometimes it boots and doesn't detect the card and I have to restart and it works a second time. Other times it doesn't work no matter how many times I reboot so I fall back to using the EFI Bootloader and hot-lugging the second I select "Windows" boot.

I think my issues are compounded by having 2 TB3 peripherals, you may not have the same detection issues.

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touchbar + [email protected] (AKiTiO Thunder3) + Win10
2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + [email protected] (Sonnet Breakaway Box) + Win10

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + GTX1070 (debating 2070 upgrade) @32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core V1) + Win10

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + Vega 56 @32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core V1) + Win10 & macOS 10.14+

---
LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote
M0tzeRella
(@m0tzerella)
Jun 8, 2019 7:37 pm  

Okay, I've already tried this little bad boy. Unfortunately without success. However, I had already connected the eGPU at boot time.

Then I'll try it with hot-plugging 😉

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member
Jun 8, 2019 9:07 pm  

@m0tzerella

I would very like you to try this bootcamp guide.
The important step is a "0. fresh Windows 10 installation 1803 or newer". You results will be intriguing. Thank you!

(PS: I love motzerella, best paired with small tomatoes, that's cliché, but a good one)

This post was modified 3 weeks ago

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

ReplyQuote
M0tzeRella
(@m0tzerella)
Jun 9, 2019 11:15 am  

@OliverB

I have already tried that, but unfortunately not successful. But I do not want to rule out that I made a mistake while doing so.

You have a very good taste! 😉

ReplyQuote
M0tzeRella
(@m0tzerella)
Jun 10, 2019 8:45 pm  

@eightarmedpet

I had time to test the Efi bootloader again.

I have done the following:
-Windows restored so that only original Amd drivers were installed
-turned off the Mac
-Efi bootloader connected via USB
-Turned on Mac
-Efi selected
- "Load Windows" selected and graphics card hot-plugged
→ Error 12

Same procedure again, but this time when selecting the bootloader hot-plugged. → Error 12

Then restarted and selected Windows without the boot loader. Graphics card hot-plugged in exactly this second → Error 12

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member
Jun 11, 2019 9:09 am  

@m0tzerella morning buddy...

So, I'm in a foul mood today, had an eve and morning of reinstalling Windows - trying 1903 twice and having nothing but problems when I plugged in my eGPU which resulted in multiple BSOD and eventually a corrupt Windows instal.
Then my macOS/partitioning got messed up and I wasn't even able t0 reinstall W10.
So reinstalled macOS.
Repair permissions from recovery.
Hopefully by the time I get home I will have a clean instal of 1809 upgraded from 1603 (which has so far been the only way mine works).

So, just to be super super clear because this can be a pain and one tiny tiny change can result in a shit show, hopefully this will also work again for me when I try this eve if not then its Macbook out the window time.

1. After usual and all updates run boot to windows with nothing plugged in.
2. Plug in eGPU and run Bootcamp driver instal. (I haven't had to use DDU previously, but have used it at times and it doesn't effect my set top much unless I'm switching between GPUs).
3. Restart.
4. Boot EFI Bootloader, select Q, select Windows and the very second I select Windows I plug in the eGPU.

and/or

1. Restart into macOS, set macOS as your primary boot drive, instal rEFInd, boot to check rEFInd is working and all good.
2. In macOS (from rEFInd boot) plug in eGPU and check its working.
3. Rebbott.
4. in rEFInd select Windows (do not unplug any cable at any point).
Get to Windows desktop and check if it's working.

if not-

5. Unplug and replug in eGPU and then reboot, going through rEFInd again and booting into windows.

if that doesnt work.

1. Get really angry, punch a cat.
2. Reboot using EFI boot loader as per above.

OR

1. Buy a Nvidia card and enjoy no error 12, easier set up but no macOS support.

Are you able to reboot in macOS from Bootcamp assist menu? I have never been able (macOS boot not found) although it worked fine when I had a Mini briefly.

This post was modified 2 weeks ago

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + [email protected] (Sonnet Breakaway Box) + Win10

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + GTX1070 (debating 2070 upgrade) @32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core V1) + Win10

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + Vega 56 @32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core V1) + Win10 & macOS 10.14+

---

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
Jun 11, 2019 1:55 pm  

@eightarmedpet Stay away from Windows 1903 for the time being. I tried it this past weekend on my 2017 13" MBP. While the upgrade to 1903 as well as clean install went great, Radeon driver installation would crash Windows then send the system to an infinite boot loop. I tried it three times with different versions of Radeon drivers and BootCampdrivers.com and they all ended up the same.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

94 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
Jun 11, 2019 2:05 pm  

I will be trying Windows 1903 again on my 2017 13" MBP today. I will hot-plug the AMD eGPU and let Windows configure the drivers this time. We'll see if that solve the boot loop issue.

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member
Jun 11, 2019 2:23 pm  

Keep me posted! I hope I'm back to a clean 1809 instal by the time I get home this eve and I can re set up my Vega... I both love and hate computers. 

Feel everyone has their stake in the ground now though, Mac Pro, Mac min, Navi.. still nothing that quite fits my needs/current products.

---

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
Jun 11, 2019 6:37 pm  

@eightarmedpet Of course it worked great with an Nvidia eGPU. During this process I might have realized an important detail that bricked Windows 1903 partition. This version of Windows uses DCH drivers and AMD Radeon graphics drivers may have compatibility issues in external graphics mode.

I found this out when manually upgrading the the Nvidia drivers to latest ones. Windows auto-installed drivers were DCH and the default standard drivers from Nvidia website were not allowed to proceed. I had to select the DCH version.

Update 1: As soon as the AMD drivers initialized during driver installation, the system crashed [SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED / What failed: Wdf01000.sys]. Next boot would result in boot loop. Windows 1903 itself could not auto-install graphics drivers for the AMD eGPU. I tried through both Device Manager (right click, update drivers) and Windows Update section in Settings.

Update 2: This is possibly effecting the 2017 13" MacBook Pro only. I tried Windows 1903 on my 2016 15" MacBook Pro and the Radeon drivers did not cripple Windows.

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member
Jun 11, 2019 9:43 pm  

@itsage cheers for the update and info, I'm bloody cursed I tell ya! Maybe its time to upgrade if I somehow have a troublesome Mac. I wonder if Navi will have large BAR or whatever it is that causes error 12 unlike with Nvidia?
Reinstalled 1603 or whatever and now back to 1809 or something, my god its been a pain though, so many issues, featuring corrupt driver, long boots, peripherals not working... not sure I have the energy to do a write up tonight but what I wrote this morning is pretty much how it should work @m0tzerella

---

ReplyQuote
M0tzeRella
(@m0tzerella)
Jun 11, 2019 10:32 pm  

@eightarmedpet

Thank you very much for the detailed help! I am sorry to hear that you also had problems today.

I've just come home from work, but I'll do it all again tomorrow morning with Windows 10 (1809?). I will report then.

I'm still wondering whether it's worth it, as it obviously does not seem to be really future-proofed ...

EDIT: 
Are you able to reboot in macOS from Bootcamp assist menu?“

I forgot to answer your question. No, that last worked on my old MacBook 2012.

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member
Jun 11, 2019 10:57 pm  

I am only using Build 1803, which seems to be the good version. It looks as 1809 is very similar to it. I am sorry about 1903, for me this is a good example to never upgrade without need (Never change a winning team).
@eightarmedpet This is really very unlucky, 13-inch 2017 won't work with 1903.. what a BS!

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator
Jun 12, 2019 12:41 am  
Posted by: theitsage

Update 2: This is possibly effecting the 2017 13" MacBook Pro only. I tried Windows 1903 on my 2016 15" MacBook Pro and the Radeon drivers did not cripple Windows.

@itsage can confirm that Windows 1903 works fine on 2018 15" MBP and 19.3.3 bootcampdrivers. I do have a 2017 13" on hand as well - may test if I feel like risking my work system.

purge-wrangler.shpurge-nvda.shset-eGPU.shautomate-eGPU EFI Installer
----
Troubleshooting eGPUs on macOS
Command Line Swiss Knife
eGPU Hardware Chart
Multiple Build Guides
----
Current: MacBook Pro RP560X + 480/R9 Fury/Vega 64 | GTX 780/1070
Previous: 2014 MacBook Pro 750M + 480/R9 Fury | GTX 780/980 Ti/1070

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member
Jun 12, 2019 6:27 am  

Argh, typical... and yeah you're totally right @oliverb - if it aint broke don't fix it, but I had hopes of using the Blackmagic and someone keeps banging on about how newer clean instals fix all the worlds problems. 😉 

@m0tzerella it totally will be worth it, I've kinda done a lot of the hard work experimenting for you, I could even link you to my OG W10 iso that I start from (if 180x doesn't work for you) and you'll be good. Once you're up and running and playing PC games on you 13inch MacBook Pro (I'm getting way over 60fps in PUBG atm) you'll be glad you kept at it.

I'm not about tonight but could jump on discord tomo or fri if you are GMT and in need of help.

(I think the issues in my vastest working instal were caused by accidentally unplugging my ogpu during instal and using DDU, yep, I said that, and I think its because I'm using a TB3 monitor as usual).

---

OliverB liked
ReplyQuote
M0tzeRella
(@m0tzerella)
Jun 12, 2019 2:21 pm  

This morning I installed Windows 10 1809 and all updates.

Then I tried your steps 1.-4. (the first ones). Now the MacBook freezes in the Efi Bootloader as soon as I select Windows. It appears "saving ..." but nothing happens.

For detailed further steps I have no time today.

Until Tuesday I can return the Core X. If necessary, I try it with a Nvidia although I did not plan to buy.

Thanks for the Discord offer, but I think my spoken English is to bad 😀

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
Jun 12, 2019 2:25 pm  

@m0tzerella I encountered the "saving..." freeze with automate-eGPU EFI before. What solved it for me was a clean format of the partition/external drive storing the EFI boot loader. How are you currently storing this boot loader?

ReplyQuote
M0tzeRella
(@m0tzerella)
Jun 12, 2019 2:41 pm  

The USB stick was formatted as exfat. It was my fault. My smallest USB stick is 64gb. That can only macOS format in fat32

I tried it again as described. Hot plugging again resulted in Error 12.

Now I have restarted, and left the eGPU connected. The card is recognized, no error 12. The external monitor does not seem to be activated. After 3 minutes I received a blue screen.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
Jun 12, 2019 2:51 pm  

I believe it needs to be formatted as FAT. I have been using automate-eGPU EFI on a very small partition on the internal drive of my Macs. Here's an example of the partition I created for the boot loader in a 2018 Mac mini.

ReplyQuote
M0tzeRella
(@m0tzerella)
Jun 12, 2019 4:07 pm  

Is there no difference between the stick and the partition?

What the Mac calls Fat is Fat32 as far as I know. I formatted my USB stick exactly as you did the partition.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
Jun 12, 2019 9:18 pm  

Using automate-eGPU EFI with either external USB drive or internal drive partition works well for me.

ReplyQuote
M0tzeRella
(@m0tzerella)
Jun 15, 2019 10:43 am  

After another failed attempt to get the RX 480 running, I decided to buy a gtx1070.

Last night I installed it in the Razer Core X and reinstalled Windows 10 1903. When selecting the partition hot-plugged, drivers installed, done. That's exactly what I wanted! 😀

The first games went well and I'm excited. The only thing that does not work yet is the clamshell mode. As soon as I close the Macbook, it freezes and I have to do a hard reset. I try to fix this error. If you have tips, feel free to come with it 😉

Thank you for your help!

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member
Jun 15, 2019 11:26 am  

The 1070 is a solid upgrade from a 480 anyway, so thats prob a smart move, and yep, super simple set up in Bootcamp.
For clamshell try using the EFI Bootloader and have the Macbook closed from boot (so reboot from macOS holding down Alt - which is what I do).

Interesting that 1903 worked for you, it was a shit show when I tried. Really interested to hear how Navi effects error 12.

---

ReplyQuote
M0tzeRella
(@m0tzerella)
Jun 16, 2019 7:12 pm  

It was definitely worth it.

Okay, I'll test that. The only problem is the booting back in macOS. For this, yes, the graphics card must be unplugged. As a result, the Macbook is no longer connected to any monitor, which does not unlock the Macbook in clamshell mode. For that I need a good workflow.

I installed 1903 completely fresh. Then I ran all updates and only then the gtx 1070 hot-plugged while booting.

Navi is the new AMD chip, right? Would be great if Plug and Play would work in both bootcamp and macOS.

ReplyQuote