Problems with Dell XPS 13" 9370 and Sonnet eGPU Breakaway Box

Notifications
Clear all

Problems with Dell XPS 13" 9370 and Sonnet eGPU Breakaway Box  

RSS

sean101v
(@sean101v)

Hi, 

Recently I purchased a Sonnet eGPU Breakaway Box to go with my GTX 1050ti. I also recently purchased a Dell XPS 9370. The eGPU came first, and since I didn't have the dell, I tried it with a family members laptop, a Lenovo ThinkPad X1 carbon gen5. It worked flawlessly and exceeded my expectations. I was super excited when I received the Dell XPS today but my experience hasn't been nearly as good as with the Lenovo. Upon plugging it in, I received a message "The connected external graphics device may not function properly with this computer" I went ahead and pressed OK and my desktop went over to my monitor, which was plugged into the eGPU. The problem that I'm having is that everything is extremely choppy. Everything from games, to scrolling, to moving windows around. It's really bad. 

Here's a video showcasing the problem:

What gives? Why did one laptop have no problems while this one does? It's the same cable, GPU, and everything. Is there something I can do to fix this?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
(@animar-alex)

@sean101v, hi there! 

Sometimes I have the same issue with my Dell XPS 9350 and Aorus Gaming box with gtx 1070. sometimes this problem appears sometimes no. 

My solution:

1) try an expand view for 2 monitors when your laptop monitor will be as 1st and the second one (connected to eGPU) will be the second. i my case it solves the problem. 
2) try to disable the internal laptop GPU in the device manager. it helps in 90% cases even if you turn on it again after 2 minutes.

i think this is a kind of Windows or drivers problem. Windows continues using your internal gpu for it’s desktop animation.  

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
txz81
(@txz81)

Try disabling and enabling the integrated GPU and dedicated GPU

Dell XPS 2-in-1 15" (9575) - i7 8705G
Zotac AMP Box Mini
Asus Dual OC 2070 Mini

2018 15" Dell XPS 15 9575 [8th,4C,G] + GTX 2070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Zotac AMP Box Mini) + Win10 1909 [build link]  

ReplyQuote