Setup & Software Discussions
Questions about 2018 MacBookPro 15 inch with Bootcamp: hwInfo where is intel iGp...

Questions about 2018 MacBookPro 15 inch with Bootcamp: hwInfo where is intel iGpu?  

RSS

OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

Hello together,

I have some questions about the Bootcamp Setup for the 2018 MacBookPro 15 which seems to be troublesome because of the Radeon dGpu, which is partly not correct, as I could install a very fine running system without any patches.

The interal display looks to be run by the Radeon dGPU. This was unclear for long time, because it's run by Microsoft Basic Display Adapter, but hwInfo and performance tests supports this.

But still there are questions:
1) Why can't I change the resolution of the interal display? It's stuck at 3360x2100 and can't be changed.
2) What happened to the iGPU Intel UHD 630ß It just doesn't appear. See screenshot from hWInfo.
3) Why it is a fixed opinion that the dGPU has to be switched off for Bootcamp, even it is proved otherwise?

HWiNFO 2018MPB15
DisplayResolutFix

Another thing I don't understand: The very smart autor of an arcticle claims about active TB3-cables:
"Passive cables maintain USB 3.1 type-C compatibility. Active ones do not."
https://appleinsider.com/articles/17/08/15/psa-thunderbolt-3-cables-longer-than-05m-generally-dont-support-usb-31-speeds

He seems very confident about this, but I have just tested it with an active 1,5m Thunderbolt cable ans USB3,1 looks just fine (see screenshot). Anyway I could not see any logic in those claims.
Am I missing something? Why don't I understand that article and the claims?

HWiNFO USB3.1SuperSpeed

Another question: The is a little window thingy in my internal display (right upper corner). What exactly is this?

InternalDisplayLeft

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

ReplyQuote
mirog
(@mirog)

Posted by: OliverB

But still there are questions:
1) Why can't I change the resolution of the interal display? It's stuck at 3360x2100 and can't be changed.
2) What happened to the iGPU Intel UHD 630ß It just doesn't appear. See screenshot from hWInfo.
3) Why it is a fixed opinion that the dGPU has to be switched off for Bootcamp, even it is proved otherwise?

Hi
to 1) because you run the Microsoft Basic Driver and need to install the AMD Radeon 560x Bootcamp drivers form the Bootcamp support files.
to 2) Apple disables the iGPU by default, if you use Bootcamp - you need to use apple_set_os.efi to activate it.
to 3) Apple always knows better, what the user wants 😉

Posted by: OliverB

Why don't I understand that article and the claims?

Sorry to ask, but why is this article so important  for you ? Do you have problems with your cable ?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote