Setup & Software Discussions
Radeon RX 580 Stuck at 300Mhz

Radeon RX 580 Stuck at 300Mhz  

RSS

giallorossi
(@giallorossi)

Hi everyone,

I'm still trying to find out the reason why my eGPU was too weak as I expected. I have checked my eGPU info with AMD Wattman, CPUZ, HWMonitor and all of those shows that clock and memory of my eGPU stuck at 300Mhz even at any time (playing a game, video ...). I thought that is the main reason why it had poor performance to compare with my dGPU r9 m370x. I have run DDU to uninstall my Radeon RX 580 and install the latest driver from AMD website but nothing change.
Could anyone give me some suggestions? Thanks in advance.
My Specs:

- MacBook Pro Mid 2015 + Radeon R9 M370x
- Sonnet Breakaway 550 + Radeon RX 580
- Windows 10 Build 1903

This topic was modified 5 months ago

Macbook Pro Mid 2015 (Radeon R9 M370X)
Sonnet Breakaway 550 + Radeon RX 580

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@giallorossi

Are you using an external monitor connected to eGPU? If not, are you sure apps are using the eGPU? Set GPU preferences for apps in Windows settings. 

purge-wranglerpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance (Coming Soon)
2018 MacBook Pro 15" RP560X + RX 5700 XT (Mantiz Venus)

ReplyQuote
giallorossi
(@giallorossi)

Dear @mac_editor

I'm using MacBook internal monitor to display. Do we have any difference between using an internal and external monitor?
I'm pretty sure my games run with eGPU cause AMD has created a game profile to run. I have to disable my dGPU (to give more resources to run my eGPU) and my Intel Iris Pro graphic can't meet the requirement of the game (Pes2019) so I don't think It can be run with my Intel Iris Pro. The game setting is also shown my eGPU info.
Thanks.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@giallorossi How did you set up the RX 580 eGPU in Boot Camp? In order to accelerate the internal display of your 2015 15″ MacBook Pro you either need a functional AMD dGPU or Intel iGPU powering the internal display. If you disable the AMD dGPU without doing anything else, the RX 580 eGPU can only accelerate external monitor.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

ReplyQuote
giallorossi
(@giallorossi)

Dear @itsage

Thanks so much to let me know about my situation. Now I understand without external monitor, my eGPU can not reach its full potential.
Besides, I found out the another way to boost my internal display up is use a HDMI dummy plug device (headless ghost) . Buy a external monitor is the best choice to enjoy the game though.

ReplyQuote