Setup & Software Discussions
Random freezing in Windows 10 Pro with Intel NUCi7BEH + Razer Core X + GTX 2060 ...

Random freezing in Windows 10 Pro with Intel NUCi7BEH + Razer Core X + GTX 2060 SUPER  

RSS

schmosef
(@schmosef)

I bought the NUC in early August. It was working well but I wanted more gaming power, so I added the eGPU and GPU.

Installation was a breeze. At first, everything seemed to be going well. After a few days I started noticing that Windows was randomly freezing.

At first, I thought it was the NUC. I had it exchanged with a new, replacement unit. The problem didn't go away.

I haven't been able to identify a pattern to when the freezing happens. But it only happens if the eGPU is connected.

It can happen during heavy use, simple web browsing and even when the NUC is idle. Sometimes the system freezes within a few minutes of booting. Sometimes it can be a few days before it freezes.

I've tried the legacy TB3 drivers and the new DCH TB3 drivers. I've swapped GPUs with a GTX 2060, from another PC. I've re-installed Windows 1903 and even tried 1709 (the GPU drivers wouldn't install until I updated it to 1803).

Nothing I've tried helps. The freezing always comes back.

When the system freezes, it's completely locked up. It doesn't come back if I disconnect the TB3 cable and try to use the iGPU. I have to hold down the power button to force a power off, then turn it on again.

Windows Event Viewer doesn't show any issues except that it detects the system was not shut down properly. No reports of device or driver problems.

I've contacted Intel support but they haven't been helpful, so far.

Is this possibly an issue with my eGPU enclosure?

Anybody have any insight or advice?

PC: Intel NUC8i7BEH 32GB Corsair RAM, 1TB Samsung Evo Plus NVMe, 2TB Seagate SATA SSHD
eGPU: Razer Core X
GPU: RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB

ReplyQuote
nukeclears
(@nukeclears)

Exact same issue with an RTX 2070 with a Razer Core X. I've found some other people with this issue as well with the same setup (20 series GPU, Razer Core X).

Currently a workaround is connecting the display to the laptop instead of the eGPU, this fixes the crashing completely. However you do get the reduced performance (same as running on a laptops internal display).

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

schmosef liked
ReplyQuote
schmosef
(@schmosef)

Thanks, I have a GTX 1060 GPU in another computer and was thinking of testing a swap. I guess I'll go ahead with that and will post my results.

Actually, now that I think about it, I had a GTX 1050 GPU in the eGPU for about a week, while I waited for the 2060 Super to arrive. I had no issues then.

Do you think it could be an Nvidia driver issue? Razor lists the 20 series GPUs as compatible, you'd think that they had done some testing. Maybe it's a recent bug or something in combination with the TB3 drivers and newer builds of Windows 10. Do you know if anyone has tried to contact Razor about this?

It's just weird that the system completely freezes. I guess I'm spoiled now but it's been like 20 years since I've had to deal with Windows completely locking up, like this. And there's nothing relevant shown in Event Viewer, which implies a low level hardware issue.

When the NUC is running properly I can pull the TB3 cable and it recovers fine and reverts to the iGPU.

Even if there's a fault in the GPU drivers, I feel like the TB3 drivers/subsystem should just fail the device and allow Windows to carry on.

I wanted to ask about this on the Nvidia forums but they seem to be in the middle of a forum software upgrade and it's not going well. From what I can tell, you can't even search their forums, right now, among many other missing features. Their user community is up in arms.

Sorry that you're also experiencing this issue. I guess it's a little bit of a relief that I'm not the only one, because maybe, with enough people complaining, we can get it resolved.

This post was modified 3 months ago

PC: Intel NUC8i7BEH 32GB Corsair RAM, 1TB Samsung Evo Plus NVMe, 2TB Seagate SATA SSHD

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@schmosef I have noticed this same freezing behavior too on a NUCi5BNH + 1060 eGPU. I have used this same NUC with an RX 580 eGPU for nearly a year without issues.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

ReplyQuote
schmosef
(@schmosef)

Posted by: @itsage

I have used this same NUC with an RX 580 eGPU for nearly a year without issues.

Well that's something. I appreciate the info. Which TB3 driver are you using? The legacy driver or the DCH driver? And which version? Someone on Reddit just posted that he solved some USB stuttering issues by using the 16.x version of the legacy TB3 driver.

ReplyQuote
nukeclears
(@nukeclears)

@schmosef

Just tried the legacy driver, same issue persists. 

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
schmosef
(@schmosef)

I've had it running with a GTX 1060 3GB card, for a few days now. It's been fine, so far, but there's a noticeable frame rate drop in games, from when I was using the GTX 2060 Super.

I hope this issue gets resolved.

This post was modified 3 months ago

ReplyQuote
nukeclears
(@nukeclears)

Found a second workaround, for me disabling the intel integrated graphics in device manager also fixes the issue. It does add extra manual work but this way you can still connect the display to the eGPU.

ReplyQuote
schmosef
(@schmosef)

Posted by: @nukeclears

Found a second workaround, for me disabling the intel integrated graphics in device manager also fixes the issue. It does add extra manual work but this way you can still connect the display to the eGPU.

You're lucky. This never worked for me.

ReplyQuote
Megablokske
(@megablokske)

Hi,

I'm having the exact same problem with my laptop (i7 10510), Razer core x and 2060 graphics card.

Somehow the problem is less frequent if I use the HDMI port of the graphics cards instead of displayport.

I've uninstalled Razer software but that does not help.

Any advancements on this issue?

ReplyQuote
schmosef
(@schmosef)

Sadly, no progress to report, so far. I only use HDMI, as I have it connected to a TV.

The problem only happens with my 2060 and 2060 Super GPUs. My 1060 works fine, but there's a noticeable drop in frame rate between the two generations of GPU, in the games that I play, so it's quite frustrating that I can't use the better cards in my eGPU.

The fact that the PC completely hangs, with nothing reported in Event Viewer, leads me to believe that this is a Thunderbolt firmware or driver issue.

If so, it's up to Intel to resolve. I have an open tech support ticket with them. Lots of back and forth to confirm driver and software versions, but not much else.

Intel is a big company and I'm not sure if the issue is getting reported to the correct team; the one with the resources to fix the problem.

I recommend that everyone who experiences this issue open a support ticket with their device's manufacturer.

ReplyQuote
happyingaloshes
(@happyingaloshes)

well i came here looking for some fix, but i thing the only thing we can do is wait

i have a razer blade 15 paired with a core x chroma + evga rtx 2080 ti ftw3 and i have random freezes since day one.,,

razer blade 15 2018 (max-q gtx 1070) + razer core x chroma (evga rtx 2080 ti ftw3 ultra)

ReplyQuote
schmosef
(@schmosef)

Posted by: @happyingaloshes

well i came here looking for some fix, but i thing the only thing we can do is wait

i have a razer blade 15 paired with a core x chroma + evga rtx 2080 ti ftw3 and i have random freezes since day one.,,

A guy on Reddit recently posted that he figured out a successful configuration. IIRC, he used the legacy Thunderbolt drivers and manually downloaded the Nvidia drivers that don't use the App Store control panel (i.e., the standard drivers, not the DCH drivers). It was a pretty detailed post. I'm planning on trying his suggestions. I'll try to find the post and link it here.

Edit: Here's the reddit link.

This post was modified 4 weeks ago

ReplyQuote
happyingaloshes
(@happyingaloshes)

@schmosef

is really a interesting read. i going to do it if the issues persist. thx,

razer blade 15 2018 (max-q gtx 1070) + razer core x chroma (evga rtx 2080 ti ftw3 ultra)

ReplyQuote
(@alfred_poon)

Have exactly the same symptoms except with an xps 13 7390 with a RTX 2070. Unfortunately I don't have a legacy TB3 driver to downgrade to. So would be interested to see if any solution shows up here.

ReplyQuote
Megablokske
(@megablokske)

I followed the reddit post and for me it works now

ReplyQuote
(@branislav_benak)

I have this issue on old setup Macbook Air 2014 + Akitio Thunder2 (120W power brick). I have been using it more than 9 months with GTX 1050Ti withou any issue. Because of Mojave and Catalina I change it for MSI RX560. In macOS everything is OK but in Windows Bootcamp the windows freeze randomly. I noticed with 100% sure that it will freeze in Epic store software and in Mafia 1. Almost instantly after start this programs. I bought another RX560 from Gigabyte and the same result. Recently I bought Gigabyte RX460 but did not test it with this setup yet. I have test it on my second setup MacMini 2018 i3 + Sapphire GearBox (500w).  On this setup I had no problems. I'm curious how it will work within Thunder2.  My suspection was the power brick, but after reading this thread, I'm not sure.

ReplyQuote
(@frekilson)

I've had the same issue (2060 Super + Mantiz Venus + Lenovo Yoga 730) - I tried resolving it at first by removing all hardware from both the Mantiz and 2060 (sata/lan controllers, audio devices etc.) from the Device Manager in Windows 10, which didn't work, but then started changing all power saving settings in Power Options to Maximum Performance - no more freezes 🙂

Sadly now I have another problem that I rant about here: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/geforce-graphics-cards/5/330788/an-opinion-on-2060-super-and-its-drivers/

This post was modified 2 weeks ago

nVidia 2060 Super + Mantiz Venus + Lenovo Yoga 730

ReplyQuote
(@alexander_bravikov)

I have Aorus Gaming Box + RTX 2060 + Dell Latitude 5591 (same as XPS except dGPU) and used to have 1060. There were just several times when 1060 froze but with 2060 that used to happen several times a day.

Played with many version of drivers for the GPU and Thunderbolt. Nothings helped.

I noticed that it was more frequent if Turbo Boost was turned on and power supply was not enough at spikes of high load (as the battery was draining). So at the end I started playing with power settings.

And the solution was very simple.

Power Options -> PCI Express -> Link State Power Management (LSPM) turned OFF

Do not have any freezes since that.

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
schmosef
(@schmosef)

Posted by: @alexander_bravikov

Power Options -> PCI Express -> Link State Power Management (LSPM) turned OFF

Do not have any freezes since that.

Thanks, that's interesting! I'll try that, in a few weeks, when I have time to fiddle with the NUC again.

ReplyQuote
(@yang_li_1)

Same issue with my NUC8i7BEH, tried 5700xt, rx580, many different version of win 10, disabled anything I can, still have the same random freeze issue, have to back to Bootcamp with my MBP for now, but really hope there is going to be a fix for this......

MBP 15 2019
Asus XG Station Pro
PowerColor Red Devil 5700XT

ReplyQuote