Razer Blade Stealth 2016 (7500U) issues w/ Caldigit TS3 Plus

Notifications
Clear all

Razer Blade Stealth 2016 (7500U) issues w/ Caldigit TS3 Plus  

RSS

teltersat2
(@teltersat2)
Trusted Member

I've been having loads of issues with this particular laptop and its TB3 connection. Right now that laptop is used by someone in my household as a workstation due to the current world situation, and I have relocated a TS3 Plus as its dock charger. I have noticed that this laptop has specific issues when it connects to a Caldigit TS3 Plus when using DCH drivers - Essentially the Thunderbolt link is stuck in a connect/disconnect loop. I managed to resolve those by switching to the Legacy drivers (Non DCH) for this laptop....

However, these issues resurface when the laptop is not fully charged. Could it be that there is a potential issue with the Power Delivery of this laptop? Or could it be that it is generating a lot of heat for the circuitry? I'm planning on getting some thermal pads to connect the laptop case to this "daughter board" where the USB-C/USB-A is. Anyone else here with any ideas on how to resolve this? Out of options at the moment!

Current build: 2017 15" MacBook Pro + Mantiz Venus MZ-02 + Silverstone SX700-LPT (750W Peak) + Noctua NF-A14 + Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming 8G (rev. 1.0)
Replaced parts: Sapphire Radeon RX 580 Nitro+; Sapphire Radeon RX Vega 64 (Reference model)

ReplyQuote
ghislain4
(@ghislain4)

@teltersat2, From my own experience with this laptop, the problem is that it is charged through the TB3 port. When the charge of the battery is well below 95%, this leads to the connect/disconnect loop that you observe, probably because the TB3 link cannot handle at the same time heavy charge load and connection through the TB3 port. However, when the laptop is permanently connected to the dock and the battery has been fully charged, this connect/disconnect loop no longer happens, eventhough the battery start charging (i.e below 95%) when using the computer.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
teltersat2
(@teltersat2)
Trusted Member

@ghislain4 - thanks for the note! maybe it's due to the thermals, I thought it would be CPU related and replaced the thermal paste, but to my surprise I saw the ports in a separate daughter board... since I want to replace the killer wireless card as it has a poor connection, I will get some thermal pads to dissipate the heat from that section to the actual laptop case. Maybe that'll improve this situation (or at least make the laptop a bit cooler overall) - Also I've noticed that it has no fan controls, they do ramp up, but are controlled exclusively by the processor's thermals, that's something very unique as I have never seen a laptop with that configuration.

Current build: 2017 15" MacBook Pro + Mantiz Venus MZ-02 + Silverstone SX700-LPT (750W Peak) + Noctua NF-A14 + Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming 8G (rev. 1.0)
Replaced parts: Sapphire Radeon RX 580 Nitro+; Sapphire Radeon RX Vega 64 (Reference model)

ReplyQuote