Razer Blade Stealth with MX150 (Early 2019) + Razer Core X Chroma + Asus RTX 207...

Notifications
Clear all

Razer Blade Stealth with MX150 (Early 2019) + Razer Core X Chroma + Asus RTX 2070 Super -- Freezing randomly with buzzing sound  

RSS

Jonny
(@jonny)

Hi guys,

I'm new here. I have had my RBS 2019 for a few months now but haven't really been using it a lot because I had a main desktop.

I recently made the switch to the RBS as my main computer with a Razer Core X Chroma + RTX 2070 Super for some boost when gaming.

Specs :

i7-8565U, 16GB RAM, 2TB NVME SSD, nvidia MX150

Razer Core X Chroma + Asus RTX 2070 Super

I started getting some random freezes with a loud buzzing sound (on speaker or in headphones). The buzzing sound stops after a few seconds (20-30s) but the screen is still frozen until I force a restart on the computer. 

It happens randomly when I :

- write stuff on word (happened once or twice)

- watch a video on youtube (quite often)

- watch a video on VLC (happened a few times)

- play games (Witcher 3, Path of Exile, happened a few times but more rarely than when watching videos on youtube)

I tried :

- Updating Windows 10 to the latest drivers

- Fully reinstall Windows 10 (clean install) with the latest drivers

- Updating to the latest driver from nvidia

- Rolled back to an older driver from nvidia

- Updating the latest version of Razer Synapse

- Tried another RTX 2070 Super to see if the problem was my graphics card (it was not)

- Turned off Hardware Acceleration in Google Chrome (Couldn't find how to turn off in Windows 10)

- Only displaying to an external monitor (turned off laptop screen)

- Monitoring my GPU and CPU temperature and both are well below max temps

At this point, I'm not sure what else I can try but I am still getting freezes multiple times a day.

Thanks in advance for help, tips and suggestions 🙂 

Jonny

PS : I've seen other people with the same problem and tried the proposed solution but it didn't work for me so I decided to post here.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Topic Tags
Jonny
(@jonny)

Update :

Since I posted here, I got 4 other freezes. All of them from chilling on Google Chrome on Boardgamearena.com 

The last freeze made my google chrome screen become completely black and had to run a command to disable gpu.

Dunno if that helps

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
DeauxJoe
(@deauxjoe)

Jonny, Let me start off by saying I am not an expert so anything I say please take lightly. I have the same laptop/eGPU as you. I went through three different Nivida cards (1080,980ti,2070super) and I was never able to correctly get them working (Wouldn't hotplug, forced to reboot anytime I disconnect). I believe there is something inherent with this build that gives it a ton of trouble with eGPUs. I am currently testing out an AMD card (5700xt) to see if that solves my problems. The theory with going to the AMD card is to load a separate driver other than what your MX150 uses. It seems to have improved my setup but I am only three days in and I have had a few screen crashes myself. I will keep tinkering and testing to see if I can get it right, but I'm not sure what will happen. 

ReplyQuote
Ronin
(@ronin)

Have any luck resolving the issue?

I have a similar set up (Razer Blad Stealth w/ MX150) and a Razer Core (the basic one) with a Nvidia RTX 2060.

When using the Razer Blade by itself there are no issues. When I plug it into the Core and Monitor: It freezes randomly for about 2 seconds then continues like normal....

It happens about every 5 minutes or so. I thought it was the mouse at first. I've changed everything out and it still happens.

Any ideas on  where to start?

ReplyQuote
ghislain4
(@ghislain4)

I have the same Razer Blade Stealth w/ MX150 as you and it works like a charm with my Akitio Node + Nvidia GTX 1080ti. So, may be there is a problem with the Razer Core?

ReplyQuote