Razer Core X Chroma & Dell XPS 9560: Weird USB issues and dreadful external SSD ...

Notifications
Clear all

Razer Core X Chroma & Dell XPS 9560: Weird USB issues and dreadful external SSD performance  

RSS

Alexander Goris
(@alexander_goris)

I'm new here, but have been reading quite a bit the last few months.

Last week I finally decided to jump the gun and ordered a Razer Core X Chroma eGPU enclosure, meaning to pair it up with my (albeit aging, but still very capable) Dell XPS 9560 (i7-7700HQ, 32GB RAM, 1TB NVMe SSD, 4K screen). I received the eGPU on Monday, installed my GPU (my 'old' GF GTX970 which I pulled from my soon to be pensioned gaming rig) right away and hooked it up. I was pretty surprised to find it working flawlessly at first, it took a while to detect everything and download drivers, but then everything was working fine.

This continued throughout the day yesterday, during which I received a longer 2 meter TB3 cable certified cable I had ordered on Amazon. When I replaced the cable things got weird, initally I had only the USB hub working when I hooked up the eGPU, no GPU detected, no errors or anything, absolutely nothing. Switched back to the original Razer cable, but the situation remained the same. After uninstalling/reinstalling Thunderbolt software as well as GPU drivers without success, I finally decided to reseat the GPU in the enclosure, and to surprise, it worked, everything was working again. I didn't spend much more time with the system until today, while everything seemed to work fine, there were weird issues with USB devices.

As I wanted a single-cable solution, I have everything hooked up to the Core X Chroma's USB hub, in the following fashion:

• Razer USB hub
    • Built-in Monitor USB Hub
      • Logitech wireless mouse dongle
      • Webcam which sits on top of monitor
    • Keyboard with built-in USB hub (nothing connected)
    • Astro A50 headset

I noticed weird issues with my mouse and keyboard, my mouse would sometimes freeze for several seconds, or have episodes where it moved for 1 second, then nothing for 4-5 seconds, again 1 s movement, etc.. And my keyboard would have modified keys (ALT, CTRL, Windows key) seemingly sticky. Off course I immediately suspected the longer TB3 cable I had ordered, so quickly switched back to the Razer original cable, while this did improve things, it didn't completely fix them, I still had the mouse and keyboard issues but just less often.

Today the last part of this new setup I am building arrived: An Asus ROG STRIX Arion external NVMe SSD enclosure, which I wanted to permanently hook up to the Core X Chroma to have some fast additional storage to put my games on. This is a USB-C 3.2 Gen 2 enclosure which comes with a USB A (plain old USB port) to USB-C as well as a USB-C to USB-C cable, I did some quick tests and found the performance on my XPS' TB3 USB-C port to be pretty good (~1200MB/s read speeds, about why I should be getting with the old Samsung 950 Pro I have in there currently), however the performance on the normal USB ports was only moderate (~600MB/s read), so I hoped it would perform at nearly the USB-C port speed when I hooked it up to the Core X Chroma (since my XPS only has 1 TB3 USB-C port). To my unpleasant surprise it was only barely working. I only get about ~1MB/s read speeds), with anything I even try to do on it timing out eventually.

I had another SSD lying around, so I quickly hooked that up to the same Core X Chroma USB port using a standard USB3 to SATA adapter, and got a satisfactory ~500MB/s read speed.

I'm quite experienced with computers in general, but this whole thunderbolt interface is something completely new to me, so I'm a bit lost as to how I should further troubleshoot this.

Thanks for any insights or help anyone could provide!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Charlie Nguyen
(@charlie_nguyen)

@alexander_goris, I must say I’m very interested in your problem because I was hoping to get myself pretty much the same setup as yours (maybe an xps9570 instead). The 1 plug setup is an absolute dream but after some research there will always be issues. I would look forward for some answers on fixing the issue u mentioned.

As far as I can tell usb dock over another usb dock would significantly affect the bandwith. Therefore I think your m&kb should be connect to a hub (or in your situation the monitor’s usb hub) which connects directly to your computer usb port. So a 2 plug setup. The external SSD can connect to the monitor’s usb (not the egpu because it’ll affect gpu performance)

BTW

My dream setup would be:

Dell xps 9570 (i7, 512gb ssd, fhd)

Razer core X chroma (for those usbs XD) with 1070ti

A monitor for gaming and content creations

Peripherals (mouse, keyboard, headset, webcam)

And hopefully an externall SSD for games hooked up to the monitor

This post was modified 4 weeks ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote