Razer Core X supports the AMD R9 285, 290..., has anyone tried a 270x?

Notifications
Clear all

Razer Core X supports the AMD R9 285, 290..., has anyone tried a 270x?  

RSS

Zoltan Uszta
(@zoltan_uszta)

Sorry for the newby question: I've ordered a Razer Core X, I'm planning to connect it to a XPS 15 7590 - mostly as a multi-monitor dock - maybe for lightweight gaming

I've an unused 270x, shall I try to install it or is better to get a sligtly newer card? (I'm planning to upgrade later to an actual card with virtual link port for VR)

(or I could harvest my old 1070 from my desktop and upgrade later to a 3xxx card)

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Honorable Member

@zoltan_uszta

The 1070 will give you a much more enjoyable experience. 🦖 

2018 Mac Mini i5 / 6-core 3.0-4.1 Ghz / 32GB / 256GB / Intel UHD 630 / PowerColor Gaming Station / PowerColor dual-fan RX 5700 XT / Mac OS 10.15.6 Catalina / Windows 2004 😏 / Dual LG 27" 4K displays

ReplyQuote
Zoltan Uszta
(@zoltan_uszta)

I've given the 270x a try anyway, it was working out of the box - being unsupported not bad. I did not manually install any drivers, I let windows (2004) install everything for me.

Heaven in Desktop 663

Heaven in Notebook screen 521

Heaven external monitor (notebook monitor and dGPU/iGPU not disabled) 575

The internal 1650 is delivering about 1000 points, so performance-wise this setup makes no sense, but you can keep your notebook (CPU) cooler and you can connect external monitors and do some 1080 gaming.

I might try the 1070 later or get something newer, I'm going to test it stability wise a bit.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote