Setup & Software Discussions
Razor Core X+Radeon RX580+2018 MBP 15: Win 10 Boot Camp raw setup, can't use MBP...

Razor Core X+Radeon RX580+2018 MBP 15: Win 10 Boot Camp raw setup, can't use MBP's LCD after using eGPU?  

RSS

rouging
(@rouging)

Hi, 
This is my first attempt of eGPU platform though I have been following this topic for a while. It is a mixed experience after a day of playing with this setup and I would like to share it with you guys and hopefully get some feedback or help in the future.

My setup list:
- New 2018 15 inch MacBook Pro (TouchBar) with AMD Pro 560X dGPU.
- Razor Core X enclosure and a AMD RX580 graphic card.  
- LG 27 Ultra HD 4K monitor.
- Windows 10 (1803) Boot Camp.

Note: no script and/or any hardware tricks were used during this test.

I first tested this setup in MacOS since Apple officially support eGPU now. It works flawlessly as expected. Plug and play, can't get any easier than that. So I feel more confident when I installed a new Boot Camp partition with Windows 10. 

To make a long story short, the eGPU was recognized by Windows 10 and after updating AMD drivers it worked. It was using AMD X-Connect Technology and Only work on the external LG monitor though. But that was expected, as I didn't patch the system to use the iGPU of the MBP (I felt I don't need to, since X-Connect should work with dGPU only laptops as well). It was OK to just use external screen for gaming. But I didn't expect what happened next: I can NOT use my MBP's LCD screen after eject the eGPU from the system by using X-Connect panel! Now if I restart the machine, it will automatically re-connect my external monitor with the eGPU, but no matter what I do, I can no longer use my MBP lcd screen again at all (in Boot Camp that is). It stays black. I checked Device Manager, and it says Windows stoped the dGPU because the device reported some issue. I assume it is because of the eGPU out there. So I un-pluged the eGPU completely from the system, but still no luck. 

After many failed attempts,  it's getting dark. I boot into MacOS and restored my boot camp partition. I don't know if this has anything to do with not installing graphic card switch scripts or something.  It's a shame really, it was very close I believe. Anyway, this is my first experience with eGPU in Boot Camp. I would like to share this to other people who use similar setups. If anyone out there somehow managed to get this to work without using any of those GPU Switch scripts, please let me know!

Thank you all, have a good day.

*Some side notes of gaming on my eGPU in Boot Camp:
After trying some Steam games (Grim Dawn, Dark Souls, etc) I found not all of them performed well with this setup. Especially Grim Dawn. For some reason, it played worse with eGPU than with dGPU. I tried different graphic settings and it was laggy even on the very low end set and not good at all. On the other hand, DS remaster version was running very well. I am not sure why the difference. 

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

This is a behavior I observed on the 2018 13" MacBook Pro when paired with an AMD eGPU. What's likely happening is Windows chooses the eGPU over iGPU/dGPU during booting up. The internal display attach to the iGPU on 13" MBP and dGPU on the 15" MBP. Therefore a working AMD eGPU means black internal display.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

109 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
Ningauble77
(@ningauble77)
Estimable Member

It also could be because of driver conflicts between the AMD drivers for the egpu and the bootcamp drivers for the dgpu.  If you reboot a 13 inch MacBook pro unplugged I assume it would boot normally on the intel graphics again.  I don't know if bootcampdrivers.net has modded drivers available yet for the 555x or 560x, but if you try again you might want to try using those, and then AMD drivers with the equivalent version number for the egpu.  I am not sure if this works anymore though.

2018 13 Macbook Pro + Core v2 + Radeon VII Win10 1809/MacOS 10.14.5 Beta
ASUS X99 Deluxe+Core v2 + Radeon VII Win10 1809

ReplyQuote
rouging
(@rouging)

Hi,

I just tried again today. Fresh install of everything. And I got it to work, sort of.
the fact is that as long as I stay away from updating AMD driver for the eGPU, I can get both screen work simultaneously and the external screen will be accelerated by eGPU. I can use all sorts of display layout arrangement from windows settings. 

I cant be sure about this, but this time I think I disabled my dGPU prior to plug in the eGPU. This is the only thing I did different I believe. But this is not a perfect solution I think. Because now although I can use both screens and get eGPU to work with my programs, I can not update the driver for eGPU. When I tried it, I lost my internal LCD again and I can’t roll back the driver at all. That’s why I’m reinstalling everything now...

but I will see if there is anyway around that. If not, I will just stick with what it is now until official solution come out, hopefully.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Maven
(@maven)
Trusted Member

Have the same issue as well...

I have been having a terrible time trying to accelerate the internal display.

Currently, I am at this step.

MBP 2018 15" 2.6/512/16gb - Razer Core V2 with 1080ti FE

rEFInd is installed and working. (Is it normal for 2/3 lines of code to show over the Windows Logo at boot?)

I used DDU to uninstall the AMD drivers.

Switch GPU has been triggered as admin to use the internal graphics.

Now here the issue.

If Intel drivers are installed, the system sits at the windows logo/boot screen with the wheel spinning. (With or without eGPU connected)  I have tried deleting the default Intel Bootcamp drivers and then installing the latest drivers directly from Intel. This was done via the setup.exe and also the have disk option.

Once Intel drivers are installing the screen goes black before installation has completed. I have to manually reboot the system. Additionally, the Intel Control Panel does not seem to install when using the drivers directly from Intel. (Strange!)

The eGPU is basically plug and play without tweaks (rEFInd, Set-GPU Etc) when using an external display.

I'm assuming I still need to use Set-GPU to get the Intel card to show as per my observations.

So I need to know what i'm missing here! 

Thanks for your help and time.

ReplyQuote
nitroglycerin33
(@nitroglycerin33)

I have a 2017 MacBook Pro 15 with a Vega 64 Frontier Edition and experienced similar performance issues with boot camp gaming. I had to disable app hardware acceleration in Steam, Epic, Blizzard and Discord for the choppiness and FPS drops to go away.

My setup:
2017 MacBook Pro 15
Sonnet 650 - connected to lower right port
Startech TB3 Dock TB3DOCK2DPPD - Connected to top right port
Vega 64 Frontier Edition

ReplyQuote
rouging
(@rouging)

Posted by: Maven
Have the same issue as well...

I have been having a terrible time trying to accelerate the internal display.

Currently, I am at this step.

MBP 2018 15" 2.6/512/16gb - Razer Core V2 with 1080ti FE

rEFInd is installed and working. (Is it normal for 2/3 lines of code to show over the Windows Logo at boot?)

I used DDU to uninstall the AMD drivers.

Switch GPU has been triggered as admin to use the internal graphics.

Now here the issue.

If Intel drivers are installed, the system sits at the windows logo/boot screen with the wheel spinning. (With or without eGPU connected)  I have tried deleting the default Intel Bootcamp drivers and then installing the latest drivers directly from Intel. This was done via the setup.exe and also the have disk option.

Once Intel drivers are installing the screen goes black before installation has completed. I have to manually reboot the system. Additionally, the Intel Control Panel does not seem to install when using the drivers directly from Intel. (Strange!)

The eGPU is basically plug and play without tweaks (rEFInd, Set-GPU Etc) when using an external display.

I'm assuming I still need to use Set-GPU to get the Intel card to show as per my observations.

So I need to know what i'm missing here! 

Thanks for your help and time.

Not sure about N card. All I did is to disable the dGPU before install eGPU to Boot camp. I didn't use any mod whatsoever. The internal LCD should work with eGPU plugged in. but no acceleration. The downside of this is when I tried to turn on dGPU after disconnecting eGPU, internal LCD went black. madness.

ReplyQuote
rouging
(@rouging)

Posted by: nitroglycerin33

I have a 2017 MacBook Pro 15 with a Vega 64 Frontier Edition and experienced similar performance issues with boot camp gaming. I had to disable app hardware acceleration in Steam, Epic, Blizzard and Discord for the choppiness and FPS drops to go away.

My setup:
2017 MacBook Pro 15
Sonnet 650 - connected to lower right port
Startech TB3 Dock TB3DOCK2DPPD - Connected to top right port
Vega 64 Frontier Edition

I gave up on this eGPU boot camp setup now. The result was not even close to worth the time and effort spent. I only use eGPU in MacOS for now, I can play Tomb Raider at least....for other games, I will have to use my old AW. not ideal, but it works...By the way, Parallel Desktop 13 is perfect in MacOS with the eGPU, can't play any DirectX 11/12 games, though. I use it mainly for my Windows only softwares for work.

ReplyQuote
realistic
(@realistic)

My setup is almost identical to yours.

I have a 2018 i7 8750h 15" MBP, RX480 and Razer Core X.

I also have a working setup of ( driverless, ie. Windows detects "basic display adapter" ) dGPU driven internal screen and eGPU driven external screen.

I'd like to get AMD drivers for RP555X working also, so I've tinkered around a little with no luck so far. It seems like that you cannot have two different models of AMD GPU's running at boot. If you have, you get a black screen after loading wheel. If you enable iGPU to see whats up, you can see in device manager that "Windows has stopped display adapter, because it detected some errors" or something along the lines for both eGPU and dGPU.

So if you:

1. Just need eGPU's performance, and don't care about dGPU whatsoever on Windows side.
  2. Don't want to use any script.
  3. Don't want to lower any security settings.

You can consider my approach. For my approach you must make your Windows to see your dGPU as a basic adapter. I was able to make this happen simply by unistalling AMD Settings program which came up with Bootcamp drivers. Then I rebooted with iGPU enabled, disabled dGPU, rebooted with eGPU plugged in, installed the latest AMD drivers, re-enabled dGPU and then it just works. You can check out my build guide for exact steps I took.

I think that you can even just uninstall BootCamp -driverpackages AMD Settings, make sure that dGPU is seen as a basic display adapter, reboot with eGPU plugged in and install proper AMD drivers. I haven't got time to test out this theory tho.

ReplyQuote
Maven
(@maven)
Trusted Member

Posted by: realistic

I also have a working setup of ( driverless, ie. Windows detects "basic display adapter" ) dGPU driven internal screen and eGPU driven external screen.

I'd like to get AMD drivers for RP555X working also, so I've tinkered around a little with no luck so far. It seems like that you cannot have two different models of AMD GPU's running at boot. If you have, you get a black screen after loading wheel. If you enable iGPU to see whats up, you can see in device manager that "Windows has stopped display adapter, because it detected some errors" or something along the lines for both eGPU and dGPU.

So if you:

1. Just need eGPU's performance, and don't care about dGPU whatsoever on Windows side.

You can consider my approach. For my approach you must make your Windows to see your dGPU as a basic adapter. I was able to make this happen simply by unistalling AMD Settings program which came up with Bootcamp drivers. Then I rebooted with iGPU enabled, disabled dGPU, rebooted with eGPU plugged in, installed the latest AMD drivers, re-enabled dGPU and then it just works. You can check out my build guide for exact steps I took.

I think that you can even just uninstall BootCamp -driverpackages AMD Settings, make sure that dGPU is seen as a basic display adapter, reboot with eGPU plugged in and install proper AMD drivers. I haven't got time to test out this theory tho.

Hello,

Upon uninstalling the AMD and or Intel drivers with DDU and using set iGPU, I can get external acellerated display via the eGPU and the internal display does work.

Hoqever, the internal display is not really using the eGPU and games/apps run like a slide show.

I even tried going into the new “Graphics settings” in Windows 10 and assigning the app to use the eGPU without luck.

Completely puzzled at this point. 😔

ReplyQuote
realistic
(@realistic)

Posted by: Maven
Posted by: realistic

So if you:

Hello,

Upon uninstalling the AMD and or Intel drivers with DDU and using set iGPU, I can get external acellerated display via the eGPU and the internal display does work.

Hoqever, the internal display is not really using the eGPU and games/apps run like a slide show.

I even tried going into the new “Graphics settings” in Windows 10 and assigning the app to use the eGPU without luck.

Completely puzzled at this point. 😔

As I mentioned, in my situation internal display is indeed driven with dGPU with a abysmal performance.

Only way to get eGPU to accelerate the internal display is with iGPU + eGPU and usage of xConnect or Optimus, and I don't have experience about that setup yet.

ReplyQuote